Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber responds on Albion managerial situation

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So pretty much the same as last year,New manager towards the end of pre-season and Jones and Burke in charge of retained list,I can see us going through the same scenario this time next year.

Certainly if we appoint Mackay.

Given the obvious restraints at the club it is important that we recruit a manager that fully understands the situation and has previous experience of working within a tight financial situation and is going to get the most out of the players at his disposal. Absolute waste of time making empty promises, appointing just about any of the current 'favourites' who will quickly realise we are not going to be able to match their own ambitions and leave.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Pathetic blind faith. Like a child and a big bright light. Who's the nutter? Maybe the club is in safe hands maybe it isn't. The fact is you haven't got a f*cking clue anymore than the rest if us but because the stadiums nice that'll do......answer me these questions:

How much is Bloom worth?

How much of his personal investment do we have to pay back?

Why did we employ an obscene amount of staff for the first year at the AMEX only to make a large percentage of them redundant 12 months later?

How is the seemingly 'cheap' 1901 and corporate packages pricing restructure going to affect things when those come to an end and need renewing?

How much financial investment have we actually had from Nike and AMEX and are those deals results dependant?

What is our actual day to day operating loss/profit versus takings?

Oh and......

What is Tony Blooms actual job?! And why can you find no record of his activities anywhere? (Other than a professional gambling profile which lists his career winnings to date at just over £1.2m.....)

He might be polluted with cash. He might the most savvy business man in the country. He might just be intensely private. Or this could all go horribly wrong because there isn't actually any more money.

You know as much as anyone else so blind faith is a dangerous thing. But you carry on pal. The rest of us are all 'nutters'

You could if you want, bother to look it up: https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/453906419360612352/photo/1 It is does not include the individual wages though.

I don't think the budget has been an issue this season, the problem has been not using it. Coming up to the Championship I think we spent £3.5m on Buckley and CMS, last season we spent £2m for Ulloa, but this year we spent around £450k on Stephens.

We spent £4.54m on player additions in 2011/12 (annual loss = £8.6m), £4.24m in 2012/13 (annual loss = £14.8m), £??? in 2013/14 (presumably £3m-£8m max loss depending on how the Board views FFP).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't think the budget has been an issue this season, the problem has been not using it. Coming up to the Championship I think we spent £3.5m on Buckley and CMS, last season we spent £2m for Ulloa, but this year we spent around £450k on Stephens.

You do understand that wages are the greater part of the player costs and not transfer fees, don't you?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
So pretty much the same as last year,New manager towards the end of pre-season ...........
A bit random,.... we will have a manager within a fortnight from when OG departed, pre-season doesnt even start until mid/late June .... get a grip sir.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
So pretty much the same as last year,New manager towards the end of pre-season and Jones and Burke in charge of retained list,I can see us going through the same scenario this time next year.

Some positive differences:
- better youth prospects
- more time to find a replacement before pre season
- new training ground ready !

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I know i'm being dense but did the coach that hardly talked to the players hardly talk to them in Catalan and Spanish or wierd Cockney and Spanish?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You do understand that wages are the greater part of the player costs and not transfer fees, don't you?

Of course I understand this, but the sale of Bridcutt and Barnes and the failure to get Grabban and Conway must have meant that there was money that was not spent. Of all the seasons we have had in the Championship we came up well short on signings despite a massive injury crisis. I am pretty sure that Ince, March and JFC are not skimming that much cash out of the club either.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Of course I understand this, but the sale of Bridcutt and Barnes and the failure to get Grabban and Conway must have meant that there was money that was not spent. Of all the seasons we have had in the Championship we came up well short on signings despite a massive injury crisis. I am pretty sure that Ince, March and JFC are not skimming that much cash out of the club either.

Agreed, but Agustein, CMS, Hoskins, Ulloa, Buckley, Crofts, Orlandi were all on decent money and missed significant parts of the season for one reason or another.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Agreed, but Agustein, CMS, Hoskins, Ulloa, Buckley, Crofts, Orlandi were all on decent money and missed significant parts of the season for one reason or another.

Yep, but whichever way we look at it with all things considered Garcia got nothing, so I sympathise with what we gave him to work with on that level. It is just a shame that we went to all that trouble to secure his contract to paint a pretty picture when we could have probably just consolidated with a McGee, Slade, Gregory or Adams type manager.

The plan failed in this respect and it was oversold to Oscar and the fans. Right manager at the wrong time and probably wrong league. The club was naive when the season was all about seeing out contracts and then rebuilding this summer as we only needed someone to hold the fort.

Still hopeful that the time is right to do a better job this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here