Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul barber q&a matchday thread

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
You seem to be approaching this from a very cynical angle.

Yep I definitely am. Barber is good at controlling his and the clubs image. Doubt they'll admit anything is wrong or acknowledge properly the fans anger about this and merely explain it away that we're wrong and they're right. Like he usually does. He runs the club very well and makes sure the money side of it is all taken care of I'll admit that but does seem very relaxed about poo-pooing fans opinions that he doesn't agree with. If he comes out and says £15 is too dear and they ballsed up then I'll take it back. Doubt that will happen though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It will be sadly predictable - we need to protect jobs, we didn't use furlough, this is a genuine revenue stream from lots of fans who want to watch The Albion, times are tough blah blah
[MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] questions are pretty much exactly what I'd ask. But really they don't care about the fans and especially the fact the total PPV pot is split evenly, Paul Barber won't care if only 1000 people watch the Brighton v West Brom game because we'll benefit from much more appetising fixtures or much bigger fan bases paying for this

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It feels more to me a case of "i won't subscribe to an over priced products".

There will always be a minority element wanting to beat the system, but i think it's fair to say the overwhelming majority just want something affordable.

If BHA v West Brom was a fiver there would be a lot less complaining going on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yes, and not at 5:30pm on a Monday.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Assuming he will not be discussing the “Big Picture” situation tonight as this may dilute, however I have seen in the press we are apparently one of the clubs to publicly reject the proposal but haven’t seen an official quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Oh. Nothing in my inbox. Tidying my sock drawer tonight, anyway.

If anyone wants to ask one of these, please feel free....

1) Why did Leicester City vote against PPV matches? I imagine they would have stated during the PL debate (assuming there was a debate?). If not, why do you THINK they objected? Does our club not have the same issues/concerns?

2) If the price to watch PPV matches in the COVID-era is £14.95 when the quality of the product is significantly diminished (no crowd/atmosphere), what would the price be during regular times?

3) Were fans consulted about the pricing? If not, how did broadcasters come up with that figure? How can you be sure that, for example, pricing it at £7.50 would not double the number of views, generating the same revenue but delivering a service to twice as many fans?

4) What paid alternatives were discussed? Eg Option to pay £10 extra a month to Sky to get all extra matches, or flat monthly fee to watch your club's games. Again, were fans consulted? Did you ask broadcasters for options?

5) Is it fair that, for example, fans of Everton (and presumably Albion - haven't done the maths) could have to pay TWICE as much as Man United supporters to watch all their league games over the course of a season? https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-pay-per-view-fixtures-19083818

6) Do you see PPV as the future for football broadcasting in the UK? In that case, can you imagine a scenario where smaller clubs like Brighton DON’T lose out to the big six?!

7) Why do overseas viewers pay significantly less than English-based fans to watch Premier League on TV when it’s the same ‘product’?

8) Why are PPV matches on at unsociable times in the UK – eg 17.30 on a Monday? If matches are PPV-only why would a clash of KO times matter?

Broadcast logistical issues? Okay, so…

9) What level of TV presentation can fans expect for their money? Same number of cameras etc as a regular broadcast match? Proper build-up? Post-match interviews? Top-level pundits in the studio? And if you don’t know, how did you agree to £14.95? And why should we?

The broadcasters essentially gave the Premier League a fait accompli - a 'take it or leave it', with no room for manoeuvre. Namely that they charge £14.95 for each PPV game that they didn't originally intend to broadcast.

More clubs than Leicester has major doubts about the proposal, but voting against it would have closed the 'Your football club on TV' debate down for good. In other words, 'they'd have had their chance to put their club on TV, and they said 'no'. And that would have been that.

Why did ONLY Leicester vote against it? Don't know. Are other clubs happy with what was presented to them? No, not really. What is the Albion's opinion on this? I'm guessing not the same as the belligerent tone from which we've heard from Barber so far. I'm also going to guess at something more conciliatory tonight. I bloody hope so anyway. From here, it depends on how flexible the broadcasters are prepared to be.

The Premier League is meeting again tomorrow to discuss these proposals. Hopefully we'll see some kind of movement.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Assuming he will not be discussing the “Big Picture” situation tonight as this may dilute, however I have seen in the press we are apparently one of the clubs to publicly reject the proposal but haven’t seen an official quote

Brian Owen is of the opinion the Albion will be seriously hacked off with Project Big Picture. But then, I'd imagine anyone with a single functioning brain cell would realise that too.

PBP offers the Albion nothing, except aggravation. Can't see how they would go for it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Of course we are. Why would we sign away our PL voting rights ? There is no upside for the albion in this grubby deal.

I really don't understand all this angst about PPV!

First point, whatever PL football clubs would like, the truth is that Government isn't going to allow fans back anytime soon. Not because of potential infections at the ground, that's relatively easy to do with by social distancing, limiting numbers, wearing masks etc. The real reason is crowded train or bus travel to the ground. OK, not everyone will get there by public transport but many will, especially in our case.

So as we can't travel to the ground for an away game which is not on TV our options are either PPV, or Radio Sussex or a potentially dodgy stream. Our choice.

For home games not on TV we have the same options. Yes we will have to pay for PPV but our payment for our ST will be credited and, if I understand it correctly, in most cases this credit will be more than the cost of PPV. We will NOT have had to pay twice for the same game.

Yes you could argue that the club could refund but that's not straight forward, some people will want a refund, some from some games but not for others and some will be happy to accept a credit.

I'm personally happy to accept a credit, effectively giving Tony an interest free loan for however long it takes. I'm very happy to do that, after all he's given me an interest free loan for my season ticket since our first game at the Amex.

It's simple, really. If you don't want to PPV don't. If you do, do. It's a free world.

And if you are offeneded if PB has been perhaps a bit abrupt in his correspondence, don't you think that's not unreasonable? The guy is under enormous pressure to keep the club going and I'm sure he must get bloody frustrated with some of the comments he gets from some fans. We should cut the guy some slack.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

First point, whatever PL football clubs would like, the truth is that Government isn't going to allow fans back anytime soon. Not because of potential infections at the ground, that's relatively easy to do with by social distancing, limiting numbers, wearing masks etc. The real reason is crowded train or bus travel to the ground. OK, not everyone will get there by public transport but many will, especially in our case.

So as we can't travel to the ground for an away game which is not on TV our options are either PPV, or Radio Sussex or a potentially dodgy stream. Our choice.

For home games not on TV we have the same options. Yes we will have to pay for PPV but our payment for our ST will be credited and, if I understand it correctly, in most cases this credit will be more than the cost of PPV. We will NOT have had to pay twice for the same game.

Yes you could argue that the club could refund but that's not straight forward, some people will want a refund, some from some games but not for others and some will be happy to accept a credit.

I'm personally happy to accept a credit, effectively giving Tony an interest free loan for however long it takes. I'm very happy to do that, after all he's given me an interest free loan for my season ticket since our first game at the Amex.

It's simple, really. If you don't want to PPV don't. If you do, do. It's a free world.

And if you are offeneded if PB has been perhaps a bit abrupt in his correspondence, don't you think that's not unreasonable? The guy is under enormous pressure to keep the club going and I'm sure he must get bloody frustrated with some of the comments he gets from some fans. We should cut the guy some slack.

The cost. Because £14.95 is extortionate for a game of football? That’s a big part of the angst. How is that not clear?

The PL greed has caused this universal outcry.

Why are we being so over charged in this country, where in other countries you can get an entire season package for pittance? Because we’re the lifeblood fans, and they’re taking advantage of that.

Again, if this was priced at a fiver, there’d be some grumbles but I’d argue more would have paid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The cost. Because £14.95 is extortionate for a game of football? That’s a big part of the angst. How is that not clear?

Why are we being so over charged in this country, where in other countries you can get an entire season package for pittance? Because we’re the lifeblood fans, and they’re taking advantage of that.

Again, if this was priced at a fiver, there’d be some grumbles but I’d argue more would have paid.

As I understand it, it's Sky's greed, as they suggest the £14.95 as a take it or leave it package to the EPL. That's why i am concerned that if it does get a good uptake, they'll simply up the price.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Reading across platforms and gathering opinions, it seems to mostly be about the actual cost, rather than the concept.

"Make it a fiver, and I'm there. Maybe even a tenner..." £14.95 is one stage too high.

Well, the broadcasters have in this instance, but they've done a great job of letting the PL take the flak.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
As I understand it, it's Sky's greed, as they suggest the £14.95 as a take it or leave it package to the EPL. That's why i am concerned that if it does get a good uptake, they'll simply up the price.

Right, and all the clubs are completely innocent and had no choice but to accept it had to be that price? Suuure.

D

Deleted member 2719

He'll use lots of words to explain how he is right and we are all wrong and hysterical.

Been on the end of that one.

I will say I have seen flexibility at times recently from him, but let's face it he wasn't blessed with this skill.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This sums up ALL football fans everywhere, it's the nature of football fans, and therefore really shouldn't be used as a stick to beat us. You have to take it with a large pinch of salt and ignore that sort of hysteria. Or work in another industry.

It certainly does.

Which is why you can be certain that nobody that works at the Albion will bother reading NSC. It would just drive them nuts!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
FWIW I do think he's largely very good at his job, but has clearly ballsed this one up, let his guard down by talking to fans as if they are freeloaders, and is trying to repair some of the damage with this wholly unnecessary event.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I was with you up until “repair some of the damage” which is more likely to be “reinforce my point of view in a shouty manner to exert my authority” thereby entrenching the damage.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Ok, let me try this again.

Some fans paid for the entirety of their ST "up front" others have paid a significant proportion through direct debit. Money has gone from our bank account to the club's.

Let's use those who paid up front. At the time they paid there was an expectation, based on what HMG was telling us that we would go back, albeit at reduced capacity by the end of October. This was confirmed by my contact very close to the FA.

Since making the ST payment some will have lost their jobs, or are working reduced hours, or have income reduced due to having to take a minimum wage job. Countless others, particularly those with mortgages and young kids, will be very concerned at the financial uncertainty going forwards.

Let's look at the most extreme; a fan who paid up front and has since been made redundant. Not only is the club clinging on to the season ticket money, Barber now thinks it is a good idea to charge that fan another £15 - that he doesn't have - to watch our home games.

Yes, there are some like you who clearly are financially secure. The others are apparent by their similar views along the lines of "you'll get a credit for your season ticket....sometime, what's the problem with paying £15".

I hope I have set out simply enough why this "double hit" does affect a significant number of fans and it would be good if those who can afford the "double hit" just took a moment to consider their fellow fans who are not in such a comfortable situation.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
I think we need a definitive answer here: is it 'forums' or 'fora'?
Well, if I remember my "O" level Latin (grade 6) correctly, "forum" is a third declension noun, so "fora" would be just fine as a plural nominative, but in the use of "through the forums" it probably takes the ablative and maybe "foris" would be better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here