Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul barber q&a matchday thread

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It feels more to me a case of "i won't subscribe to an over priced products".

There will always be a minority element wanting to beat the system, but i think it's fair to say the overwhelming majority just want something affordable.

If BHA v West Brom was a fiver there would be a lot less complaining going on.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

that's fair - £14.95 is steep and the optics aren't great given everything - and those using illegal links/ streams are in a minority but clearly there's a demand for it and plenty of NSC users appear very familiar with how it works etc. . so the pearl clutching about the idea that some fans at least want free stuff is a bit overplayed.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
To be fair to Barber, he is a superb executive and runs our club very well. I have had a few discussions with him via email and phone once and he gets his point over very well. His only issues are, he is never wrong and will not go back on his initial view, plus he uses phases that we fans do not like, EG 'Customers' and 'Product'.He sees Brighton as a commercial business, which it is, but us fans see it as a community football club first. The term 'Together' is used mainly for the benefit of the club and sometimes that really is lacking between us and them. Would I get rid of him, no way, he is bloody good, but think sometimes he needs to look at things from a fans point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not great attributes imo.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Had they scheduled it before that? Funny how the first anyone heard of it was when Barbs started dealing with the shit storm.

The news about the PPV was announced on the 9th at about 5pm. The Q&A was announced on Saturday 10th at about 5pm. There were already about 400 posts about it on this forum before the Q&A was announced. The WeAreBrighton blog had a post up criticising it on the 9th and had tweeted telling people to email Barber at 9pm on the 9th.

All the evidence is pointing to the Q&A being a response by Barber to prove he is right and we are wrong unless someone ( [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] ?) can post something proving it was already scheduled by 5pm on the 9th Oct.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
He is so right though. This paragraph from his piece on the website sums up football fans...

"Somewhat ironically given today’s mailbag, I was receiving messages and reading many comments from fans suggesting we should have been doing even more transfer business at the start of this week, and then by the end of the week, it has come full circle with some fans criticising us for the cost of the business we have done. In some cases I have received emails from the same fans on both subjects! Our job is to get the balance right and I think at Brighton we did just that."

This sums up ALL football fans everywhere, it's the nature of football fans, and therefore really shouldn't be used as a stick to beat us. You have to take it with a large pinch of salt and ignore that sort of hysteria. Or work in another industry.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Paul barber q&a matchday thread

The news about the PPV was announced on the 9th at about 5pm. The Q&A was announced on Saturday 10th at about 5pm. There were already about 400 posts about it on this forum before the Q&A was announced. The WeAreBrighton blog had a post up criticising it on the 9th and had tweeted telling people to email Barber at 9pm on the 9th.

All the evidence is pointing to the Q&A being a response by Barber to prove he is right and we are wrong unless someone ( [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] ?) can post something proving it was already scheduled by 5pm on the 9th Oct.

It’s an example of Barber trying to be as transparent as possible. He’s scheduled lots of these events before so no surprise there’s one for this alongside all the other comms. I’ve no idea of the actual timetable but I doubt it was because of one line in one email or because of those we are Brighton fellas.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
that's fair - £14.95 is steep and the optics aren't great given everything - and those using illegal links/ streams are in a minority but clearly there's a demand for it and plenty of NSC users appear very familiar with how it works etc. . so the pearl clutching about the idea that some fans at least want free stuff is a bit overplayed.

For me, it's mainly because we are in a Premier League awash with cash and over paid players (many who are merely average). If we were in the leagues below I wouldn't begrudge paying PPV to support the club. However, with the amount of money around it really shouldn't be this much and the club shouldn't need this support (just pass up on buying players who will continue to play in Poland and sell Ben White if it's that bad). Therefore I stream all games (and pay my ST).

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It’s an example of Barber trying to be as transparent as possible. He’s scheduled lots of these events before so no surprise there’s one for this alongside all the other comms. I’ve no idea of the actual timetable but I doubt it was because of one line in one email or because of those we are Brighton fellas.

I only raised it as you said this Q&A wasn't in response to the furore but would have already been scheduled. Certainly doesn't look that way; looks more damage limitation/Barber proving he is right.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Except they'd planned and scheduled it before that.
re: the "for free" comment. One thing we've not seen is the email that provoked that response.

PS: some fans clearly do want things for free - see how NSC and Twitter and elsewhere are/were used to share links/tips to access illegal or semi legal, free , non UK streams for example.
To be fair there wasn’t a PPV option then so can’t see how that is relevant, even pubs had streams showing.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
To be fair to Barber, he is a superb executive and runs our club very well. I have had a few discussions with him via email and phone once and he gets his point over very well. His only issues are, he is never wrong and will not go back on his initial view, plus he uses phases that we fans do not like, EG 'Customers' and 'Product'.He sees Brighton as a commercial business, which it is, but us fans see it as a community football club first. The term 'Together' is used mainly for the benefit of the club and sometimes that really is lacking between us and them. Would I get rid of him, no way, he is bloody good, but think sometimes he needs to look at things from a fans point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure you are right. I am a little uneasy when I listen to him though. Nothing personal. He is doing the job he is employed to do.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I only raised it as you said this Q&A wasn't in response to the furore but would have already been scheduled. Certainly doesn't look that way; looks more damage limitation/Barber proving he is right.

You seem to be approaching this from a very cynical angle.

A story that involves the club has caused a lot of discussion both in the wider football community and amongst Albion fans, and Barber has received numerous communications about it. It would be very easy to now just lie low and let things blow over, but he's fronting up, allowing Albion fans to ask questions which he'll do his best to respond to.

How many other Premier League CEOs have reacted in the same way? I suspect it's not many, if any at all. Yet our man is, and he's being criticised for it. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh, I thought there was an opportunity for fans to ask questions or something (not PB answering his own).

There is...

Albion chief executive Paul Barber will provide an update on the latest situation concerning the return of fans and the Premier League’s new pay-per-view option, as well as take questions from supporters.

This event is open to all 1901 Club members and season-ticket holders.

To join, please register for your place below and follow the same link at 7pm on Tuesday 13 October to join the question and answer session.​

Check your email for an email titled: "Paul Barber Q&A: 7pm on Tuesday 13 October ⚽️"

(annoying timing - will clash with the iPhone 12 reveal)

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

You seem to be approaching this from a very cynical angle.

A story that involves the club has caused a lot of discussion both in the wider football community and amongst Albion fans, and Barber has received numerous communications about it. It would be very easy to now just lie low and let things blow over, but he's fronting up, allowing Albion fans to ask questions which he'll do his best to respond to.

How many other Premier League CEOs have reacted in the same way? I suspect it's not many, if any at all. Yet our man is, and he's being criticised for it. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I think this sums it up for me.. and I find it ironic that some cynically suggest this is a cynical stunt. It's not about him changing the decision, but giving us, or those that are interested a chance to better understand why they have made the decision, or supported the decision that has been made. He will understand that others will disagree with the decision, even respect their position, but offering the opportunity to understand the context is a good thing isn't it? Fans taking the time to listen have the same opportunity - to maintain their position and respectfully disagree, or temper it with a better understanding than they have currently.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Check your email for an email titled: "Paul Barber Q&A: 7pm on Tuesday 13 October ⚽️"

Oh. Nothing in my inbox. Tidying my sock drawer tonight, anyway.

If anyone wants to ask one of these, please feel free....

1) Why did Leicester City vote against PPV matches? I imagine they would have stated during the PL debate (assuming there was a debate?). If not, why do you THINK they objected? Does our club not have the same issues/concerns?

2) If the price to watch PPV matches in the COVID-era is £14.95 when the quality of the product is significantly diminished (no crowd/atmosphere), what would the price be during regular times?

3) Were fans consulted about the pricing? If not, how did broadcasters come up with that figure? How can you be sure that, for example, pricing it at £7.50 would not double the number of views, generating the same revenue but delivering a service to twice as many fans?

4) What paid alternatives were discussed? Eg Option to pay £10 extra a month to Sky to get all extra matches, or flat monthly fee to watch your club's games. Again, were fans consulted? Did you ask broadcasters for options?

5) Is it fair that, for example, fans of Everton (and presumably Albion - haven't done the maths) could have to pay TWICE as much as Man United supporters to watch all their league games over the course of a season? https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-pay-per-view-fixtures-19083818

6) Do you see PPV as the future for football broadcasting in the UK? In that case, can you imagine a scenario where smaller clubs like Brighton DON’T lose out to the big six?!

7) Why do overseas viewers pay significantly less than English-based fans to watch Premier League on TV when it’s the same ‘product’?

8) Why are PPV matches on at unsociable times in the UK – eg 17.30 on a Monday? If matches are PPV-only why would a clash of KO times matter?

Broadcast logistical issues? Okay, so…

9) What level of TV presentation can fans expect for their money? Same number of cameras etc as a regular broadcast match? Proper build-up? Post-match interviews? Top-level pundits in the studio? And if you don’t know, how did you agree to £14.95? And why should we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here