Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul barber q&a matchday thread

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There is...

Albion chief executive Paul Barber will provide an update on the latest situation concerning the return of fans and the Premier League’s new pay-per-view option, as well as take questions from supporters.

This event is open to all 1901 Club members and season-ticket holders.

To join, please register for your place below and follow the same link at 7pm on Tuesday 13 October to join the question and answer session.​

Check your email for an email titled: "Paul Barber Q&A: 7pm on Tuesday 13 October ⚽️"

(annoying timing - will clash with the iPhone 12 reveal)

To clarify Wozza's point though, this is not a free for all. You need to email your questions to tim.dudding@bhafc.co.uk and they will presumably select individuals to ask which questions they chose.

One advantage of Covid-19 is that you can have these types of things done at relatively short notice on Zoom, the downside for fans is it is a lot easier to control than picking people with their hands in the air!

But I am happy to acknowledge that something is still better than nothing which I suspect what is being offered by all other clubs on this subject.

Please can someone ask him why Palace are refunding season tickets but we are not. I asked him in an email, and I got the standard "I can't comment on other clubs policies"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And if you are offeneded if PB has been perhaps a bit abrupt in his correspondence, don't you think that's not unreasonable? The guy is under enormous pressure to keep the club going and I'm sure he must get bloody frustrated with some of the comments he gets from some fans. We should cut the guy some slack.

And now to deal with this bit!

Barber made a rod for his own back by voting in favour. If he had taken the sensible view as LCFC did by rejecting it, he would have been held up as a hero. He got it wrong.

He may be "under pressure"; that's why he and every senior executive of a large business concern ges paid the megabucks. Barber decided to act petulantly by accusing fans of always wanting everything for nothing. A pathetic, childish and, of course, totally inaccurate response displaying that he has no understanding of our club's history. Where was he when we were shit and having to empty our pockets into the buckets just so the players could get paid?

If you are a CEO of a multi-million pound business you have to act responsibly and maturely, with professionalism at all times. Not spit the dummy and come out with the crass comments he has in response to well-deserved and justified criticism he has received for supporting this latest attempts to squeeze the fans until the pips squeak.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Oh. Nothing in my inbox. Tidying my sock drawer tonight, anyway.

If anyone wants to ask one of these, please feel free....

1) Why did Leicester City vote against PPV matches? I imagine they would have stated during the PL debate (assuming there was a debate?). If not, why do you THINK they objected? Does our club not have the same issues/concerns?

2) If the price to watch PPV matches in the COVID-era is £14.95 when the quality of the product is significantly diminished (no crowd/atmosphere), what would the price be during regular times?

3) Were fans consulted about the pricing? If not, how did broadcasters come up with that figure? How can you be sure that, for example, pricing it at £7.50 would not double the number of views, generating the same revenue but delivering a service to twice as many fans?

4) What paid alternatives were discussed? Eg Option to pay £10 extra a month to Sky to get all extra matches, or flat monthly fee to watch your club's games. Again, were fans consulted? Did you ask broadcasters for options?

5) Is it fair that, for example, fans of Everton (and presumably Albion - haven't done the maths) could have to pay TWICE as much as Man United supporters to watch all their league games over the course of a season? https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-pay-per-view-fixtures-19083818

6) Do you see PPV as the future for football broadcasting in the UK? In that case, can you imagine a scenario where smaller clubs like Brighton DON’T lose out to the big six?!

7) Why do overseas viewers pay significantly less than English-based fans to watch Premier League on TV when it’s the same ‘product’?

8) Why are PPV matches on at unsociable times in the UK – eg 17.30 on a Monday? If matches are PPV-only why would a clash of KO times matter?

Broadcast logistical issues? Okay, so…

9) What level of TV presentation can fans expect for their money? Same number of cameras etc as a regular broadcast match? Proper build-up? Post-match interviews? Top-level pundits in the studio? And if you don’t know, how did you agree to £14.95? And why should we?

I’ll answer for him/you so you can focus on your sock drawer:

1. Not my place to comment on another board’s policy. It’s an internal matter for them and therefore I can’t comment.

2.That’s not relevant as there are no current plans to continue PPV beyond this point at this stage. Any future price point would either be set by the broadcaster, as it was here, or a topic of conversation between the clubs and the broadcaster at some yet undefined date.

3. The price was set by the broadcaster. Whether they conducted market research with their customer base is up to them and certainly doesn’t have to be disclosed.

Thanks all for coming.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ok, let me try this again.

Some fans paid for the entirety of their ST "up front" others have paid a significant proportion through direct debit. Money has gone from our bank account to the club's.

Let's use those who paid up front. At the time they paid there was an expectation, based on what HMG was telling us that we would go back, albeit at reduced capacity by the end of October. This was confirmed by my contact very close to the FA.

Since making the ST payment some will have lost their jobs, or are working reduced hours, or have income reduced due to having to take a minimum wage job. Countless others, particularly those with mortgages and young kids, will be very concerned at the financial uncertainty going forwards.

Let's look at the most extreme; a fan who paid up front and has since been made redundant. Not only is the club clinging on to the season ticket money, Barber now thinks it is a good idea to charge that fan another £15 - that he doesn't have - to watch our home games.

Yes, there are some like you who clearly are financially secure. The others are apparent by their similar views along the lines of "you'll get a credit for your season ticket....sometime, what's the problem with paying £15".

I hope I have set out simply enough why this "double hit" does affect a significant number of fans and it would be good if those who can afford the "double hit" just took a moment to consider their fellow fans who are not in such a comfortable situation.
To add to this I know life long Albion fans that have been priced out of a normal match day and can only afford a couple of cup games a season. The club now couldn’t give a toss about these fans do a Sunderland and all of a sudden these forgotten few will be the clubs new best buddy once the day trippers & PL plastics have all pissed off. Leaves a sour taste tbh.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To add to this I know life long Albion fans that have been priced out of a normal match day and can only afford a couple of cup games a season. The club now couldn’t give a toss about these fans do a Sunderland and all of a sudden these forgotten few will be the clubs new best buddy once the day trippers & PL plastics have all pissed off. Leaves a sour taste tbh.

What did they do at Withdean?

tonytowner

Apr 12, 2010
There is one thing that I can guarantee.

There will be no questions or suggestions from a fan that Mr Barber says “what a great idea. I wish I had thought of that”.

There will though be repeated justification of everything he has done

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
any predictions on what will be said?

“Paul, you’ve overrun a little bit on that first question and we’d better wrap up now. I’d like to thank you, and all the listeners for tuning in.....have a great rest of your, what day is it now, oh yes, have a great Thursday!”

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well, if I remember my "O" level Latin (grade 6) correctly, "forum" is a third declension noun, so "fora" would be just fine as a plural nominative, but in the use of "through the forums" it probably takes the ablative and maybe "foris" would be better.

Hmm. I like the sound of "foris". I may use that. I may also use excellent-sounding "ablative" :thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And now to deal with this bit!

Barber made a rod for his own back by voting in favour. If he had taken the sensible view as LCFC did by rejecting it, he would have been held up as a hero. He got it wrong.

He may be "under pressure"; that's why he and every senior executive of a large business concern ges paid the megabucks. Barber decided to act petulantly by accusing fans of always wanting everything for nothing. A pathetic, childish and, of course, totally inaccurate response displaying that he has no understanding of our club's history. Where was he when we were shit and having to empty our pockets into the buckets just so the players could get paid?

If you are a CEO of a multi-million pound business you have to act responsibly and maturely, with professionalism at all times. Not spit the dummy and come out with the crass comments he has in response to well-deserved and justified criticism he has received for supporting this latest attempts to squeeze the fans until the pips squeak.

You have, in fact, way over-simplified what has happened. By quite a distance.

And it's not 'Barber'. It was Brighton & Hove Albion.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
My Q&A bingo card has the following content

1) Fluid Situation
2) BHAFC had no input on the price
3) lobbying
4)Being realistic
5) Over using “fan” based on the feedback of “customer”
6) Peter from Eastbourne involvement in any capacity

More to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

1) Fluid Situation
3) lobbying
4)Being realistic

More to follow

7) No, it's mustard actually
8) Complex
9) We're running a business
10) Cannot speak for the broadcasters or LCFC
11) We'll refund STH £14.95 x the number of home games shown on PPV on a month by month basis so you can choose whether you buy PPV or not without being out of pocket. [Yes, seriously]

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

1) Fluid Situation
3) lobbying
4)Being realistic

More to follow

7) can I make a suggestion to Graham about Solly March

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
11) We'll refund STH £14.95 x the number of home games shown on PPV on a month by month basis so you can choose whether you buy PPV or not without being out of pocket. [Yes, seriously]

This is the response I fear the most. Rather than refund our season ticket money they try to charge us more and then back down and suggest this is being nice. Nope, just give us the money back as there is little chance of using it this season.

Just refund the money in full, and then if we ever go back this season charge match by match. It would be incredible if any of us see more than a handful of games this season. The balance has gone the other way since they made the original decision and therefore they need to rethink. The PPV is actually a bit of a red herring.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Could make the same argument about any ‘brand’ really, Albion went from basic to luxury under enormous inflationary pressure. Look, it’s the games administrators and perverse market forces that are the real enemy here: not Barber and the Albion who are to some degree victims of the same mafia, which is players and agent wages (plus fan expectations). Every club at every level is guilty. Football is now a commodity, a product as the knobhead on 5 lives debate repeatedly called it. Maybe we should learn to purchase just like anything else - what we can afford, represents value etc. And, as you say, when they’re on their knees passing the collection buckets round we just say nope, **** you, you’re just a product and I buy my football online and internationally.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

1) Fluid Situation
3) lobbying
4)Being realistic

More to follow