[Albion] Paul Barber OBE

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Pleased for PB . However always felt honours should only be for unsung heroes doing charity work etc. Certainly not for people doing there job well or sportspeople and entertainers in general. I remember cricketers knighted for winning ashes and think some had not even played. Of course are exceptions for the likes of Botham who raised huge amount for charity. Of course PB helps himself for being outstanding in front of a mic but wonder what some other long serving CEO think.

el punal

Meh.

Order of the British Empire ???

Anachronistic load of old bollox.

The whole honours system needs a rethink. Along with our National Anthem.
So if you did something amazing for the community and this was recognised and rewarded you would say “No thanks, it’s just an anachronistic load of old bollocks?”

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Meh.

Order of the British Empire ???

Anachronistic load of old bollox.

The whole honours system needs a rethink. Along with our National Anthem.
Indeed, exactly the word that sprung to mind - Belongs in the historical dustbin. I like to champion LS Lowry at this point, 5 honours turned down - Although, who kept thinking it would be a good idea to offer him another one when he'd rejected several....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Suspect the nomination was for PB’s unpaid work for Women In Football, where he has used his skill and experience to help progress the game.

No one works harder and I’d happily have lost Graham Potter or any of our players to Ted Bundy’s Chelsea than PB.

He has implemented Tony Bloom’s strategy superbly at the Albion too, is one of our biggest assets, and gets 95% of decisions right IMO, although he is convinced he gets 100% right and will write to the death about the other 5%.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Suspect the nomination was for PB’s unpaid work for Women In Football, where he has used his skill and experience to help progress the game.

No one works harder and I’d happily have lost Graham Potter or any of our players to Ted Bundy’s Chelsea than PB.

He has implemented Tony Bloom’s strategy superbly at the Albion too, is one of our biggest assets, and gets 95% of decisions right IMO, although he is convinced he gets 100% right and will write to the death about the other 5%.
Nailed it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Best possible present to end the year. PB has done a quite superb job for us and this is thoroughly deserved.

:bowdown:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
One of the things about writing for blogs and fanzines and on here is that it's pretty easy to dig up old quotes, so I'll make no secret of the fact I initially thought the bloke was an absolute disaster, as Poyet left having taken us to one step from the PL playing lovely football, to a team of cut price loans playing football totally unsuited to them, thanks to the disastrous Burke and Hyypia.

Since then it's only been one way and PB has led the charge with TB. I'm most certainly a Barber convert and I think @El Presidente has pretty much nailed it in his post above.

Much of what he gets stick for on here are things beyond his control. Kick off times are out of our control, whether we're a PL or Championship team. We play attractive football and compete with the big boys, we're always going to be on the box. And I have noticed that some people on here have railed against our use of digital tickets at home while others say they should be in use away. You literally can't please all of the people all of the time.

And, finally, he has stuck with us while Potter and Ashworth took the first sniff of money, dirty money in Ashworth's case. That is the biggest tick in the box for me - PB is as loyal as many fans.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So if you did something amazing for the community and this was recognised and rewarded you would say “No thanks, it’s just an anachronistic load of old bollocks?”
Yep.

I wouldn't want my name associated with the British Empire in any way shape or form.
Nor would I be accepting anything from a 'Royal'.

I wouldn't be unique in that either. Plenty of people have turned down an honour in this country for the same reasons.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Agreed.

“I am delighted to be invited to join the board of Women in Football. I have seen first hand the work they do to promote women across all levels and different professionals within professional and grass roots football.

“My main motivation for accepting the appointment was helping to increase the profile of women’s game in general, and women working in all areas of the game.

“This supports Brighton & Hove Albion’s equality policy, and our aims and objectives in this area. On a personal note, I have two daughters working in professional football, with aspirations to build their own careers in our industry.”

https://www.womeninfootball.co.uk/n...oard-including-kelly-simmons-and-paul-barber/

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Struggle with this. Highly paid in an industry that is all about money, money,money. Honours should be given to the unsung heroes - charity workers, carers, vaccine innovators etc, not celebs, actors, politicians or those that work in the most lucrative and sometimes most morally dubious industries
Spot on for me too!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Indeed, exactly the word that sprung to mind - Belongs in the historical dustbin. I like to champion LS Lowry at this point, 5 honours turned down - Although, who kept thinking it would be a good idea to offer him another one when he'd rejected several....
That would be the LS Lowry, you admire, who had a very "odd" relationship with his mother , who spent a great deal of her time in bed, and of course that erm.......little girl he eventually left the bulk of his estate to.

OK then.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the bottle top thing is complete bollox, but I don’t complain, there are ways to get around it 🤫

Well done PB for your award.
But 'the bottle top thing' is us just eventually falling into line with pretty much every EPL club. And the reason it was brought in? Because a small minority of morons think it's a good idea to lob bottles at the players. Clubs have a duty of care.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
TRAFFIC CHAOS.
The RAC have warned of traffic chaos this afternoon in the region of Falmer Hill. Apparently PB OBE is taking the opportunity to exercise his rights to walk a flock of sheep along the A270/A27 from Brighton station to the Amex. On arrival the sheep will be put out to graze on the pitch.
A spokesperson for the sheep said "Ben White & Partey should be able to manage the walk but some of the older sheep could struggle to complete a game afterwards"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports