Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking in Coldean - residents not happy.

I just don't think for one second, we should allow these councillers to spout out cliches and jump on the anti football bandwagon, when the "facts" they go on about are completely disstored.

Maybe who ever posted that would like to see the clubs plans for extending the stadium rejected because of the crap this counciller is spurting.
The ONLY councillor to have been mentioned by name on this thread is the councillor who chaired the City Council's planning committee that gave planning permission for the stadium - a councillor who marched at the Labour Party conference in support of the stadium, a councillor who has consistently supported the football club through YEARS of struggle. She is NOT on any "anti-football bandwagon". She has been a stalwart SUPPORTER of the Albion for many years.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The ONLY councillor to have been mentioned by name on this thread is the councillor who chaired the City Council's planning committee that gave planning permission for the stadium - a councillor who marched at the Labour Party conference in support of the stadium, a councillor who has consistently supported the football club through YEARS of struggle. She is NOT on any "anti-football bandwagon". She has been a stalwart SUPPORTER of the Albion for many years.
So how has her name been linked to this?

Why is she making quotes like ”Residents in Coldean are very angry about this and I have been inundated with complaints, especially from around Park Road, Park Close and Rushlake Road, where last night, vehicles were parked all over the grass verges, in front of driveways on double yellow lines and in many cases double parked"

As I said, it's like that in Coldean 7 days a week. So surely she should just be saying, "hey thats what parking in those roads in Coldean is like all the time, I'll sort it" , instead of allowing herself to be quoted linking it to the stadium and football parking.

Maybe because it's not like that all the time? Are vehicles REALLY parked "all over the grass verges, in front of driveways on double yellow lines and in many cases double parked" in Park Road, Park Close and Rushlake Road? Or are you exaggerating for effect?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Maybe because it's not like that all the time? Are vehicles REALLY parked "all over the grass verges, in front of driveways on double yellow lines and in many cases double parked" in Park Road, Park Close and Rushlake Road? Or are you exaggerating for effect?
Yes cars are always parked on the grass verges. Go and take a look at them before another home game, and then tell me that damage has been caused by three games in the summer!! The double yellows would be those opposite the chippy, and yes, always cars there. I suggest you drive up Park Road and Rushlake Road and familiarise yourself with it. Or google map it, and then you will see how silly the comment "in many cases double parked" really is. If you double park on these roads, you block them. End of. Theres barely enough room to squeeze a car though as it is.

I would imagine parking in front of driveways is exaggerating for effect. Again I would very much doubt there is room to park a car in front of a driveway as the road is ALWAYS so full, the width of a driveway would be too narrow to car across.

So if it was you Lord B that said on rep "Once again getting the wrong end of the wrong stick", I would suggest you come and have a good look at the stick

As I said before, whilst I would agree she should be doing something about the parking in those roads, it has absolutely nothing to do with the stadium, as its been like that for many years, but for her to suggest that it is linked to the club, then she is out of order, no matter how "friendly" she was/is to the club.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not sure arguing the rights and wrongs of the reality is relevant. Once any plans are submitted there'll be a whole load of goons protesting about the impact of traffic and parking. The Club need to anticipate all those and have well prepared responses. I dunno about Coldean or Lewes but I do know that they've got a way to go to improve. "Some have said "what do you expect with 20000?" .. well I'd expect a lot better, much better organised and more options (trains, buses and cars). I'd be really surprised if the club consider a formal application without making significant improvements

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
So how has her name been linked to this? /QUOTE]

I think the simple answer is that the Argus website is incorrect! In the paper it quotes (ex-) Coldean councillor PAT HAWKES, not Jeanne Lepper. Jeanne is nothing to do with Coldean, she is a Hollingdean councillor.

During the evenings and weekends there are always vehicles parked on the grass verges in Rushlake Road, this isn't a new problem.

Also cars always park on the double yellows by the shops, but usually for 5 mins when they go into the shop or put a bet on, not for 3 hours.

Mr B is correct, that if there was double-parking going on in these roads they would be blocked as there is not enough room. I'd like to see the evidence of this going on.

Coldean is coping with the current number of cars. Not sure it will if another 8000 seats are added. The club need to work harder on it's transport strategy and maybe the 'hearts and minds' of Coldean and Lewes residents in the short-term.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I hope that you locals who are fully aware of the parking situation are making an effort to get the 'stories' corrected.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Understandably people get emotive but if there is a parking problem it must be reported factually and objectively. It does no credit to the complainant to exaggerate the scale of a problem and / or incorrectly attribute it to thr wrong cause.

A local Councillor or rep from a relevant agency receiving a complaint about parking problems will want to check there is actual evidence before responding. In this case whether any perceived parking issue is directly related to first team games at The Amex (ie a few hours once per fortnight on average), or is reflective of a wider parking problem at other times. Is The Amex is merely being used as a scapegoat?

A useful indicator of whether there is a genuine problem with double parking, parking on yellow lines, near corners etc is whether residents in the affected streets:

a) get their dustbins emptied ok - can the dustcart can drive through ok?
b) if buses can get through on bus routes?
c) whether the larger emergency service vehicles can get access without delay?

If there is a historical problem it should have been well documented and subject of consideration by these agencies. I suggest that if dustcarts and buses can get through ok there may not be a significant problem!

However someone will need to gather evidence to prove / disprove the claims a) under normal conditons b) during school days c) during first team games at The Amex d) when the chippie is open etc.

Most importantly to show if there is / is not a problem relating to The Amex. Yet again I would stress that the Club has a good record in managing parking issues that it can reasonably control and would therefore expect it to liaise with relevant agencies to nip any problems in the bud.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps it needs somebody local to go to Coldean Lane and take photos of the cars parked at 8pm on an evening when we are not playing to show that it is not a football problem.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So if it was you Lord B that said on rep "Once again getting the wrong end of the wrong stick", I would suggest you come and have a good look at the stick

It wasnt Lord B - it was me. And I wrote it in response to your comment that Jeanne Lepper was making these comments to get some cheap publicity. I responded (on this thread) with a bit more detail about her and he pro Albion stance. So you seemed to pass a view on someone you dont actually know and for that reason I said you got the wrong end of the wrong stick.

It now seems it wasnt even her who said it!

As I have already said, I do believe that parking is a constant problem in that area and I also believe that albion fans didn't double park etc. However the perception is that we did and things promised by the club to those residents at the planning stage have not come to fruition yet (as Lush has pointed out on here). It is this perception that will cause us issues going forward.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO there is no chance of all the extra seats going in at the same time. All the transport links need to bed in and be able to carry the extra strain .If you are not parked illegally,then Coldean lane etc would help met the targets.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anything that provides relief for the trains and P&R has got to be a good thing at the moment, so if parking & walking from Coldean helps allieviate those numbers (particularly in the evenings) then providing everyone is parked sensibly and LEGALLY then this should be positively encouraged.

Personally I don't mind a half-hour walk at all. Not too much more than that though.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
There are 3 categories of parking here:
Illegal
Inconsiderate
Inconveneinet.
The first will be taken care of, and for the last the residents will just have to live with a further walk.
Inconsiderate will be the emotive one. It is legal to park on a kerb that is not 'let down', all other things being equal. But what if there is garden parking that need access across this kerb or, indeed, one of thhe verges that is used for parking? That is were it becomes emotive.
Of the reported 'offences' to date, were residents parking across their own drives through either choice or no other option, and was double-parking residents again or just temporary visit?
The worst double-parking would be a resident boxing in a visitor, and thus preveting them form leaving.
Anyway, people can earn a fiver or so renting out their drive and then there is always the local youthful enterprise of the "Mind yer car mister" that can't be far away!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just as a parallel ...... I live in Shoreham fairly close to a school. Twice every single day during term-time, my road gets blocked by the school-run, people block my drive and sometimes even park in it. If the albion are going to be penalised due to the fans parking legally, maybe I should petition for the school to be closed - only seems fair.

* The fact that I am never at home at school-out time, is rather irrelevent.

Lawmololly

Aug 15, 2011
Littlehampton
Got to say that you cannot blame people trying to park closer to the ground. I did the Park and Ride from Mill Lane, and although I was there at 6:35, I still missed kick off. We waited a long time for the bus to arrive, and then it was stuck in traffic on the A27, so it needs to be looked at. I know it was the first evening game, and an 'unknown' situation, but lets hope its improved on.
On a positive side, we were back to the car in good time, and got out of the place very quickly.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Just as a parallel ...... I live in Shoreham fairly close to a school. Twice every single day during term-time, my road gets blocked by the school-run, people block my drive and sometimes even park in it. If the albion are going to be penalised due to the fans parking legally, maybe I should petition for the school to be closed - only seems fair.

* The fact that I am never at home at school-out time, is rather irrelevent.

and you would be within your rights to object even though the school was built before you got there and that parking is likely to have got worse.

However if the school was to be built now and the council spoke to you and said they would take action to prevent it happening and did not, you would (understandably) be a bit miffed and would object to them expanding the school.

If of course people who lived in that road already double parked, parked over your drive etc then you could hardly object to others following that practice. It would be a question of if residents perceived an existing problem had got a lot worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here