Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking in Coldean - residents not happy.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
i concur. when my grandad lived up rushlake, there were always cars parked on the verges. But if i was a resident i would be decidedly peeved at someone parking in front of my drive way. If people complain there was no signs against it, surely they would have the sheer common sense to not park on a driveway. That's illegal even with approved football parking.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
I think the club have started to act on this, heard an anouncement on heart fm yesterday saying cars will be towed & season tickets revoked for thay park illegally.

You will probably find it's the local residents that will get ticketed/towed, they have been ignoring parking restrictions for years. If I was them, I'd keep quiet or before they know it, they will be paying for residents parking and wardens will be patrolling regularly to make sure the rules are enforced all week, not just on match days!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
But if i was a resident i would be decidedly peeved at someone parking in front of my drive way. If people complain there was no signs against it, surely they would have the sheer common sense to not park on a driveway. That's illegal even with approved football parking.

Of course it's common sense not to block a driveway. The question is probably, did Brighton fans genuinely block a driveway or did they park (legally) so close that they made it less convenient for the householder to use their drive. I suspect there is more of that than actually blocking drives. I read on here about one resident ranting at driver (and damaging cars?) during the Tottenham game because they parked across the road from her drive and that made it harder to get in and out. Nothing illegal, not badly parked - just the lady didn't like it. Could be more of that than actual blocking of drives. As Uncle C says - get used to it.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
I live in Coldean & I can say that 365 days a year cars are parked on grass verges everywhere. So to say it's a new problem caused by football fans is bollocks. I live in the close by the school & everyday during term time we have cars parked everywhere on double yellows, zig zag lines by the school, pavements & the green in Selham Close. So if they want to start moaning about football parking they should address all issues of illegal parking not just one that only happens for a few hours on only about 25 days a year.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
'Football parking' has increased in the area on matchdays -(shirts/scarves visible after people have parked up)- but ...

... after people have parked UP? Parked UP? What's the "up" for? Wouldn't "after people have parked" suffice? Or is parked up the opposite of parked down?

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think the club have started to act on this, heard an anouncement on heart fm yesterday saying cars will be towed & season tickets revoked for thay park illegally.

Really ????? Firstly what right does the club have to revoke a season ticket if someone parks illegally ? Secondly, how would they link the car reg to a season ticket ?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This is one of those situations where perception is far more damaging than reality. I believe there is verge parking in that area every day and that people likely didn't block driveways or park on double yellows, but the perception going around is that it did happen. The club and supporters need to nip that in the bud because perception impacts the future. Jeanne lepper is a good sort and generally reasonable. She was chair of planning when we got withdean and very supportive of falmer. The club made promises to her, I heard them do it in one meeting. Her view is that these havnt been acted upon. Whey need to in order to redress the perception.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
i've parked near rushlake on the last 2 matches and pretty late as well (getting to the ground just in time)..and saw no evidence of illegal parking...so maybe i missed one or 2...but tht shows the problem is not widespread...re grass verges...b interesting what happens to them in the midst of a wet winter

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I live on Coldean Lane and I have seen no evidence of illegal parking, or even bad parking.

The bus driver the other week had a bit of a whinge as it was difficult to get down Forest Road as cars were parked either side.

I have no problem with parking in Coldean if done legally.

I think some of the residents may be in for a rude awakening, if the area gets flooded with traffic wardens on matchdays then they could end up getting more tickets than the fans!!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Really ????? Firstly what right does the club have to revoke a season ticket if someone parks illegally ?

Every right, their stadium, their tickets, their terms & conditions. If a STH is causing conflict by parking illegally and getting locals backs up this could cause objections to the stadium upgrade to be deferred of even refused. this leading to loss of revenue. In this case i say they have every right.

Secondly, how would they link the car reg to a season ticket ?

DLVA.
Most commercial operations i understand can request the information if it a legitimate reason.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I live in Coldean & I can say that 365 days a year cars are parked on grass verges everywhere. So to say it's a new problem caused by football fans is bollocks. I live in the close by the school & everyday during term time we have cars parked everywhere on double yellows, zig zag lines by the school, pavements & the green in Selham Close. So if they want to start moaning about football parking they should address all issues of illegal parking not just one that only happens for a few hours on only about 25 days a year.

Indeed. The situation got so bad near the school that the police were called out once or twice and eventually the Selham Close entrance was closed for a few weeks.

BTW, just been into Coldean and counted four cars on the verge in Rushlake Road in just 100m.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This wouldn't stop me parking there. It's new, people have got to get their heads round it, as the Falmer residents have. If they have legitimate complaints (and I would certainly call persistent abuse, ie parking in front of drives, or on double yellows, legitimate) they can apply for a controlled zone in the proper manner. I suspect it isn't that bad at all. Any talk of revoking season tickets is just pathetic, probably from people who live a train stop away and haven't got a clue what they're on about.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

sounds like they need to be careful then asking for traffic wardens could back if they patrol 7 days a week, or the council could make it permits paying zones, or pay and display.

I can't see a problem if people are parking properly. Plus what about all the extra money LDC are making in the Pay And Display car parks on a sturday.

I think that's the point of people's complaints. The money that the council is making out of parking charges (at the expense of local residents) is hugely resented by the locals. Having more cars parked in Lewes (where parking is perceived as difficult to start with) isn't popular.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I live on Coldean Lane and I have seen no evidence of illegal parking, or even bad parking.

The bus driver the other week had a bit of a whinge as it was difficult to get down Forest Road as cars were parked either side.

I have no problem with parking in Coldean if done legally.

I think some of the residents may be in for a rude awakening, if the area gets flooded with traffic wardens on matchdays then they could end up getting more tickets than the fans!!
If you've got time write in with your assessment of the situation, it might help to give a clearer picture of what is really happening.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
sounds like they need to be careful then asking for traffic wardens could back if they patrol 7 days a week, or the council could make it permits paying zones, or pay and display.

Traffic wardens patrol every now & then during term time & when they do it's all clear with no illegal parking.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Every right, their stadium, their tickets, their terms & conditions. If a STH is causing conflict by parking illegally and getting locals backs up this could cause objections to the stadium upgrade to be deferred of even refused. this leading to loss of revenue. In this case i say they have every right.

Rubbish - they can do so if you break football ground regulations but parking on a double yellow ? There's nothing in the T&Cs when you buy a ticket about the Road Traffic Act or anything similar. They would be on very dodgy ground contractually and if they did do it they would probably lose in a Small Claims Court.

DLVA.
Most commercial operations i understand can request the information if it a legitimate reason.

The company has to belong to the BPA to get access to DVLA data. Why would the club go to the expense of joining the BPA and then paying DVLA for the data ? All it gets them is the registered keepers details NOT the drivers.

the munch

Jul 1, 2011
well i think personally if stanmer park was offered in a manner where cars could park there on matchdays in a way that its tidy and does not affect people going in and out of the park then use it, take away the stress on residential areas. its a big area....fair enough its a lovely park, but i am sure it could be used conventionally for a bit of parking.

It would only be reasonable, if the Club was complying with the terms and conditions that have been set for the stadium. As things stand, they aren't. The Club is required to provide 2,000 parking spaces within a reasonable distance of the stadium. At evening games, there are only 1,600 available.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
As a former long term resident of Lewes I have some sympathy with anything that affects parking for residents - it has been a very emotive issue for some. However the concerns seem to be based on isolated instances and fears of 'what if' rather than an actual widespread problem. The parking controls are robustly enforced during the hours of operation so any Albion (or visiting fan) will find out pretty quickly not to take liberties. Lewes District Council who imposed the parking controls (including in our street where previously there was no problem - so was a pure money making exercise) must be happy at the prospect of a bit more revenue.

The railway station car park is very handy but not cheap plus the additional footfall on trains must make Network Rail happy at the prospect of additional income from Albion fans. No doubt pubs in Lewes will be happy at the additional trade. So any attempt to deter Albion (and visiting) fans from enjoying the facilities in Lewes would be rather narrow minded. Even our friend Norman Baker can't be too unhappy as his beloved public transport is being well utilised.

Even so our first team games will only occur on an average of once per fortnight so suggest a real sense of perspective is required before people get too carried away about what might happen.

The Albion had a good record of managing the parking around Withdean and this was taken into account when gaining permission for the Amex. There have only been a handful of home games so the real picture of the impact of parking etc is only just emerging. I would expect the Club and its partners will review the arrangements and do what it reasonably can to address any actual problems. It would be naive not to. I suggest the club will be very keen to evidence this in support of any application to increase capacity at The Amex.

Finally I note some of the comments of the Lewes forum appear to be from mischief making fans of rival clubs.

Let's not panic just yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here