Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking in Coldean - residents not happy.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
DSC02916.JPG

Coldean Lane 2 mins ago, there is ample space to park here. 8 cars in total, 1 camper van that will be gone soon, and a caravan that is only there because the owner is off on holiday soon.

I'll happily write to the Argus and put the opposite point of view.

I would suggest maybe the club leaflet drop the area with the list of home games so the residents know when to expect the 'invasion', but it may lead to people putting cones etc.. on the road to be bloody minded.

It must be said the students parking when they are around is far worse and much more dangerous as they cannot use Varley Halls.

Lush

Mods' Pet
What do a large number of people do when going to football? What will a lot of people be doing today at Fratton Park?

Drive as near as possible to to the stadium and find somewhere to park.

Unless we massively improve the delivery of Travel Information and Advice to home and away fans, this isn't going to change.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Can anyone decide there's no parking on their street and a specific time?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
as it stands there is NO CHANCE what so ever the club will get planning permission to increase capacity. NO CHANCE!!!

At the time of the last Inquiry, it was fairly well known in Albion circles that transport to and from the stadium was the weakest point of the Albion's case for Falmer. Luckily the NIMBYs weren't bright enough to seize on it and the short-lived debate focussed on the Albion demolishing the3 NIMBYs case for for an entirely fictitious monorail system. Proceedings were then moved on by the Albion as swiftly as possible. Result! The transport shortcomings were known at the time and I guess we'll now have to live with them til 12 carriage trains stop at Falmer every five minutes for evening games or all games are shown live on pay-per-view. Or the monorail becomes reality. Oh well. :lol:

May 26, 2004
Hassocks
Take a look at Google Maps Streetview - the residents of Rushlake Road didn't move off single white lines and the pavement for the google van!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Err. Bollocks is all I can say to that.

Anyone who knows Coldean, you tell me cars are not parked on grass verges 7 days a week up Park Road and Rushlake Road, and I'll tell you you taking out of your arse.

FFS don't blame the club for this. Its been happening for years and years!!!

So message to Jeane Lepper. Don't try and gain publicilty by going down this route, because you will end up looking very very silly.

Surely it has nothing to do with the Club? It is up to the local authority to police parking in those areas. We have all got a right to park (within the rules) wherever we like. That is what we pay our road fund license for isn't it? If it was me, I would be more worried about my car being damaged of nicked when parked there! It is all so down market around there compared to parking outside the nice houses at the back of Hove Park when we were at the Goldstone.:wink:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If Lewes residents are gonna object to the increased capacity, all Brighton Fans should Boycott the little shit hole, they have already cost us years of waiting.:wanker::wanker:

As Lewes is the closest, separate and Largest town to Brighton-i would not be so quick to judge Lewes residents-an awful lot of whom are Brighton fans-

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
i parked outside a house in portslade cpl of years ago for a few days, there was a note on the window saying 'please do not park in my space' there were about 20 cars in the entire road........and she had a double drive!!!

you live in a house, you do not have a legal right to park outside your house every day in the same spot!!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The fact is that they probably didn't. There were perhaps one or two drives where people pushed their luck but we all know how these things can get blown out of proportion - and the words "all" and "every" and "many" get used. Nebulous or self-serving inflamatory terms that make for good news stories. Did you notice this one part - I've added some translation in square brackets:

She said: ”[A very few] Residents in Coldean are [delete - very] angry [iritated] about this and I have been inundated with [received a few] complaints, especially from around Park Road, Park Close and Rushlake Road, where last night, vehicles were parked all over [really? ALL OVER - not a blade of grass to be seen] the grass verges, in front of driveways [or were a few parking close to driveways, leaving access but making it a fiddle to get in and out] on double yellow lines and in many [that's many, not some or one or two but MANY] cases double parked [which totally stretches plausibility to breaking point].

It is silly reporting of what is probably a legitimate concern. 25 occasions a year could be phrased as "every other weekend" DKM. But even still - this is a non-story. Get a traffic warden up there and the problem will be solved. No stewards needed. The many people parked on double yellows will be towed away. Those parked illegally will be ticketed. It will all be resolved. We all know that this is local residents who do not like having their access and parking disrupted by outsiders every now and then. They a going to complain - people always do (NSC is a case in point - "too much leg room on the seats") - but leave it for the traffic nazis to sort it out. It's not like Brighton is short of a few wardens. We'll soon see that there sin't in fact an issue - just disgruntled locals.

(btw - what the hell is this website - newsfrombrighton.co.uk? I own brighton-and-hove.co.uk and could run a series of very positive articles about the parking if I wished, would they get quoted as sources?).

[edit. Just looked the site up - it's an independent blog. that article has been read 344 times - 200 of those by Albion fans from NSC I'd guess. Hardly a credible or impartial source of information.]

If a car is legally parked, they have no right to gripe,.... a road is a public space, and as long as there are no driveway blackages, then there is no reason for action to be taken.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
i parked outside a house in portslade cpl of years ago for a few days, there was a note on the window saying 'please do not park in my space' there were about 20 cars in the entire road........and she had a double drive!!!

you live in a house, you do not have a legal right to park outside your house every day in the same spot!!
This, ... fooking this.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
C187860D0000-00-00.jpg

It's probably fair to say that we don't really want to see either a nip or a bud here.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If a car is legally parked, they have no right to gripe,.... a road is a public space, and as long as there are no driveway blackages, then there is no reason for action to be taken.

I believe the point they are making is that they were not legally parked. i.e on grass verges an Double yellow lines as they cited that emergency service would not have been able to get through.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Surely the eco-loving residents of Lewes don't own anything so vulgar as a car? I assumed they all travel via vegetable oil fuelled public transport or "bike trains" whilst wearing stylish clothing knitted entirely from the remains of second hand snoods and discarded carrier bags. As such, parking really shouldn't be an issue for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here