Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking in Coldean and Moulescoomb

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It didn't cost a tenner to stand on the terraces, so why would anyone pay more to stand away from the ground?

you fell for it Bob...

Err might have been a fiver then.... definitely some monetery figure, for the bigger games obv....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why, well before most games, do the club advise fans to avoid Mill Road because it's at capacity and to head for one of the other sites?

Ignorance must be bliss. Park and ride sites are often full, maybe not your one (I think we're heading back to 'I'm all right Jack' territory faster than you would like..)

And don't make up stuff or attribute comments I never made, it makes you look desperate. Nowhere have I said I am above queueing. This thread is mainly about street parking, and I have made my views clear that I think controlling these areas is totally unnecesary. You have gone off on one about P&R - which I'm sure many/most of us have used - and FWIW I have found them fine, though there are certainly growing bus tailbacks on the slip road.

Mill road is full every game.

The problem with the other two sites is that you are actually adding to the traffic congestion when driving to them.

I'm sorry, I meant collectively they are never full. There is a capacity in the P&Rs that is not being used fully, I was only trying to look at this from the club and residents point of view. If you want to park in CL or elsewhere, despite the club asking you not to, despite there being other parking options, despite the fact a large part of the planning process hinged around the transport policy, then go ahead. The result of people parking in CL etc looks like it might be parking permits, which is downright wrong on one hand as they are public roads, however, if the 100 or so cars there on,match/event days are causing them problems, then at least there is an alternative, and always has been, 3 P&R sites, and 2 car parks. A couple of guys I know park near either Shoreham station or on occasion Portslade and get the train, no parking problems, works for them, I think we all have to consider how we travel in, and accept that parking in these contentious locations is a problem, there are other options we could use.

100 cars max in coldean

The club's own survey results submitted as part of the stadium expansion application show an increase in parking on matchdays of 241 vehicles (+32%) in Coldean and 290 vehicles (+58%) in North Moulsecoomb. The later resulted in the club being subject to a substantial fine as per the conditions of the original and modified stadium planning consents (S106 agreements) and lead, as expected, to a similar condition being applied for Coldean to the S106 associated with the approval of the stadium expansion and the subsequent Controlled Parking Zone consultations.
The club has tried very hard to avoid this outcome believing and contending to the current and previous council administrations, mistakenly as it transpires, that stadium attendees could be voluntarily persuaded not to park in these areas.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have suggested to my brother that he parks at HH and gets the train then back onto the A23 to drive home but thinking about it he may be better off parking at Hassocks nearer the A23. What are the facilities for parking there as he is considering Lewes and getting the bus in but the drive to and from Lewes isnt so good from the A23

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Plenty of spaces where i park in coldean and i get to the ground at five mins b4 kickoff..so its not as though there are loads parking after me...do we know how far this 'zone' is

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The platforms are being widened so that more people can get on trains. The club are also trying to secure Hickstead as a P&R.

Both good news. I did suggest Hickstead when we first moved to The Amex however I did point out that It is a long way away, and I'm not sure how many trips each bus could make.

My top tips for improving the park and ride experience and speed up the queues:

Make sure the busses are full. Sounds simple, but so often busses leave with spare capacity.

Load more than one bus at a time. Pre count passengers so That loading bendy busses could be done at all doors.The quicker the busses get away, the quicker they return.

Ensure busses have priority over cars at the exit to the coach park

For mill road and Mithras house, busses coming up the slip road at Falmer use the 'inside' lane, and then, with the help of a steward at the roundabout be allowed to push in at the top. No other vehicles to use this lane. It would greatly help speed up the turnaround of busses.

Only have four drop off points at mill road. Many drivers stop up to seven times, meaning lost time returning to the stadiums,

long term, scrap the majority of Bennett field car park,(make it disabled only, moving 1901 to the nearest universitycar park - they would probably get away quiker anyway) and make Bennetts field suitable for park and ride, perhaps incorporating covered waiting areas, even selling tea, coffee etc.....

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
And the park and ride buses are shit. Try getting to the ground for evening kick off and sit on the slip road for 20 mins. And as for loading the buses one a time after a game, well thats just insane.

Dead right. The whole layout and organisation of the bus park would be a joke if it wasn't more serious. Queues on steps, buses driving across the queues when they are moving, buses being loaded from the wrong side so people have to walk in front of them- and stewards who haven't got a clue! And what do the club do? Nothing!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
For the purpose of this post I am not interested in conditions and/or voluntary agreements between the club and council.

I used to live in Ranelagh Villas, right behind Fonthill Road. Very easy on matchdays, do not remove car after 1pm, if you did then do not return before 5pm, simple.

This issue is soooo f**king simple! Our football club is adding around three quarters of a million pounds to the economy of our city every week.

But our local councillors want to make harder for the club to attract supporters, either because of their anti car policy, or because they believe that 4 hours on 25 days a year really impacts upon the residents of east Brighton.

Vote the wankers out.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The club's own survey results submitted as part of the stadium expansion application show an increase in parking on matchdays of 241 vehicles (+32%) in Coldean and 290 vehicles (+58%) in North Moulsecoomb. The later resulted in the club being subject to a substantial fine as per the conditions of the original and modified stadium planning consents (S106 agreements) and lead, as expected, to a similar condition being applied for Coldean to the S106 associated with the approval of the stadium expansion and the subsequent Controlled Parking Zone consultations.
The club has tried very hard to avoid this outcome believing and contending to the current and previous council administrations, mistakenly as it transpires, that stadium attendees could be voluntarily persuaded not to park in these areas.

Thanks for the facts, that tallies with my estimates and experience.

I do find it staggering that the club or anyone else for one second thought these limits wouldn't be exceded, especially after the expansion. Rather than telling the council people wouldn't park there (which anyone could have predicted was wrong) maybe they would have been better advised arguing the case for fans parking there, given the lack of real problems caused and huge benefit to a certain section of support. When the realistic alternative is a £13 parking charge per match, you'd have to be a real dullard not to see it coming. Probably one of the problems of consulting only idealistic car-haters on a trust fund rather than actual driving fans on a tight budget.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For the purpose of this post I am not interested in conditions and/or voluntary agreements between the club and council.

I used to live in Ranelagh Villas, right behind Fonthill Road. Very easy on matchdays, do not remove car after 1pm, if you did then do not return before 5pm, simple.

This issue is soooo f**king simple! Our football club is adding around three quarters of a million pounds to the economy of our city every week.

But our local councillors want to make harder for the club to attract supporters, either because of their anti car policy, or because they believe that 4 hours on 25 days a year really impacts upon the residents of east Brighton.

Vote the wankers out.

You're grizzling about the wrong people.

This was pretty much entirely at the behest of the residents, not the council. The person that made the biggest noise about this was Jean Lepper, a Labour councillor, as a result of many of her constituents complaining to her.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
As far as I know, Mithras House and Racecourse P&R never actually fill up - not hard to park there.
Last time I parked at Mithras House, I literally got the last parking space. It can fill up but doesn't always.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I wouldn't have paid a fiver to stand in a garden in the days that I got into the North Stand for £4 either. :lol:

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You're grizzling about the wrong people.

This was pretty much entirely at the behest of the residents, not the council. The person that made the biggest noise about this was Jean Lepper, a Labour councillor, as a result of many of her constituents complaining to her.

The council will have loaded the survey, as most organisations do.

Alternatively, they could have had a look and concluded that it is not a major problem.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
How do the numbers parking in Coldean/Moulsecoomb compare this season with last? I would imagine that the 'free' P&R would have made more people head for these sites rather than a possible long walk in inclement weather.

Also, how many parking incidents have been reported. incidents that lead to roads being blocked or vehicles towed away?

I'd like to see more P&R sites and have suggested some of the old factory car poarks on Crowhurst Road and Corals Stadium, both with easy access to the bypass.

The sliproad to Falmer flyover & the coach park need sorting though.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Seriously, where do you people get off with your 'I'm all right Jack' preaching? WHAT IF YOU DONT HAVE A FULL CAR? And the park and rides often ARE full, at least the ones the right side of the city, not to mention the fact there have been a lot of access issues on some of the most in-demand days of late. This is a totally, totally, unnecessary move and will badly affect a lot of fans, many of whom do not use those areas every match, but when they have to.

I'm with tooting on this. Evening games are a f***ing disaster for fans like me coming from 60-70 miles away. I dump my car in north Sussex and jump on trains but totally get where others like me are coming from. It's not always possible and because of th sheer number of non Saturday matches we seem to play, I now can't get to them it seems. And if you can't get to the end of the a23 by 1830 then forget mill road. It's full and using the others means practically driving past the Amex and getting caught up / adding to stadium congestion ironically.

Club needs another north side of Brighton park and ride to accommodate away fans and north, mid Sussex supporters and Home Counties. Especially for evening games.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
it does if you want to leave at the end of the game. trains.......40 mins? park and ride........60 mins? Coldean, 20 min walk

P&R 60 minutes ?? Really ?? I leave at the final whistle, jump on an H or S bus and in no time at all I'm back in Hangleton. Maybe the answer is to park in Hangleton and catch one of these buses.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Not sure on what capacity is like, but couldnt the club do a deal with Southern to let fans park in the Haywards Heath station car park, then use trains from there ? Maybe even Brighton station, again ive no idea what capacity there is like.

Probably would be busy for weekday games mind - shame there arent any stations with large car-parks in the area either. Not sure Hickstead is a suitable place for another P&R, its a fair distance from the Amex and looking how full current P&R buses are, people would be standing on buses all along the A27/A23 for a while, which at high speed isnt really that safe (just about fine for Mill Road though). That and how well used would it be ? A P&R a bit more West of Mill Road could be more useful, as those from the West have to go to Mithras House.

Could always use the training ground when it eventually gets built too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here