Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed, Scudamore is desperate for a '39th game' hosted overseas.

Problem is overseas fans only believe there are 4-5 teams in the PL.

Whether people in Singapore or Dubai will be willing to watch Palace v Sunderland on a Monday night in their own country is debatable.

The regular fans of all clubs will be further shafted and patronised.
I'm sure there were plenty of yanks saying the same about the NFL in London.
Irrespective as to who plays, the games are a massive success, backed up by first rate promotion/marketing.

All that with the potentially biggest team unlikely to ever play in London, that being the community owned Green Bay Packers.

Those games are not a 'tribal' affair, fans of the NFL go to watch an NFL game, they don't go to 'support' team X, because they are wearing team Y's jersey.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
With Palace now having significant American ownership, and Everton potentially going the same way in a £225 million deal, we could have very shortly the following foreign investment in the Premier League

United: American
City: Abu Dhabi
Arsenal: American/Ukranian
Bournemouth: Russian/American
Southampton: Swiss
Liverpool: American
Everton: American
Palace: American
Leicester: Thai
Spurs: Bermuda (which is where Joe Lewis is based)
Villa: American
Sunderland: American
Swansea: Biggest shareholder is South African
Watford: Italian

It needs 14 clubs to agree to a change in the rules. There are now 14 foreign owners, all of whom enjoy the benefits of the new TV deal. Don't be surprised if some of them, to prevent any potential loss of these TV monies, propose a vote to end relegation, so that the PL becomes effectively a franchise, and the money is sealed in for the present members. The 'new' owners don't give a toss about the history and heritage of our game, they can only see the $$$$ signs from TV companies.

Would be utterly horific for the PL and football in general. I don't think it'd happen but it's still a very scary thought.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Would be utterly horific for the PL and football in general. I don't think it'd happen but it's still a very scary thought.

Agreed, even as a Palace fan I suspect you'd prefer us to go up and renew the rivalry, as much as you want us to lose every game.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Agreed, Scudamore is desperate for a '39th game' hosted overseas.

Problem is overseas fans only believe there are 4-5 teams in the PL.

Whether people in Singapore or Dubai will be willing to watch Palace v Sunderland on a Monday night in their own country is debatable.

The regular fans of all clubs will be further shafted and patronised.

Isn't that what Gartside at Bolton wanted? Looks like he got his comeuppance (or doesn't he own Bolton any more). I always thought the bloke was a complete:censored: Whelan managed to screw up Wigan too. I know we missed out on Clayton (and the source that told me about Bobby Zamora rejoining the club told me that Christian Stuani was on the notorious list that Oscar gave Tony Bloom), but in the long run I think we might be thankful that we didn't go overboard during the strict FFP period. How Gibson pays the wages he must pay the likes of Stuart Downing I don't know, especially with the crowds they get (true the Riverside is fuller this season).

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This year must be Brightons year

If we keep up a challenge for the top two we will be challenging against two moneyed sleeping giants in Derby and Middlesbro' and at least two teams whose clubs have already been 'change(d) for ever' by Premier League Promotion. If we lose out, and lets face it, the betting market believes we will, we may get the consolation prize of the play offs, which gives only a one in four chance against strong teams. We don't all get the luck you had of two stronger teams having an off day. No year must be Brighton's year. No year must be anyone's year in the Championship.

The only people I am reading on here saying this kind of thing are Palace fans.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In that case for the sake of English football, we need foreign owned Villa, Sunderland and Bournemouth relegated and any three of the English owned Middlesbrough, Burnley, Derby and Brighton promoted

If you look at the clubs with English owners it's

Newcastle: Mike Ashley has a grim record with corporate governance

Norwich: Delia is no stranger to a half time bottle or two.

Stoke; Effectively Bet365

West Ham: Owned by a bunch of dildo salesmen.

West Brom: Currently up for sale.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
If you look at the clubs with English owners it's

Newcastle: Mike Ashley has a grim record with corporate governance

Norwich: Delia is no stranger to a half time bottle or two.

Stoke; Effectively Bet365

West Ham: Owned by a bunch of dildo salesmen.

West Brom: Currently up for sale.

There is Tottenham and Swansea who of course are British owned but I do share your concern about the no relegation from the premier being brought in by the American owners, So lets hope Villa and Sunderland who are entirely owned by Americans are relegated and they won't be so keen if that happens. The danger is if they both narrowly miss the drop this season they may very well lead the push for a no relegation rule..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here