Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace on MOTD

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
One result between 2 sides is not a way to tell who is the better team. For example, Peterbourgh beat Cardiff last year but they ended up relegated and Cardiff promoted.

If you're so convinced your going to finish above Reading this season how about a bet for REMF? £100 says you won't finish above them in the table after 46 games. Just to stop you declining the bet with an excuse like you're worried i'd try and welch on it like Seaside did, I'm happy for one of the mods to take our details and then return the money to the winner at the end of the season. Deal?

I never said we would finish above reading did I petal?

You're right about 1 result not defining who the better team is, the league table is much better so you will agree then that last season and the season before we were better than palace :)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Top work statto. Anyone can pull up a stat from the depths of history to prove a point. Being realistic, do you honestly think you can catch Reading, Watford or Forest given they each have a 6 point lead on you and their squads are much better than yours? You have more hope of catching Leicester or Burnley in my opinion yet they have an 8 point lead on you.

Well bearing in mind we've had our two best strikers missing for most of the campaign so far plus our best midfielder, we ain't doing too bad.

Who have you got to come back? Oh yes FFS Murray...an unproven centre forward and? Oh that's right no one!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Where did I said that? I only implied it was highly likely you won't finish above the current top 6, I never said it was impossible.

That fact you have to resort to insults shows that deep down you know I have a valid point and it bothers you.

Yes, we more than likely will be relegated, I've already said that earlier if you had bothered to read my post. But with the players we have brought in and the £120 million we have banked, we should be a strong side in The Championship so I can't complain to much :)

Parachute payments don't automatically mean strength in the championship. Just ask Portsmouth, Wolves and Bolton. The latter have had to loan out 2 of their players to us just so that they can cut their wage bill, even on the second year of parachutes.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
I never said we would finish above reading did I petal?

You're right about 1 result not defining who the better team is, the league table is much better so you will agree then that last season and the season before we were better than palace :)

After 46 games, yes. After 48, no :lol:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The thing is Palace won't have a £120 million bank balance when they fall back to the championship.

£60 million is future parachute payments split over 4 seasons, and the other £60 million is being hoovered up by wages ( wage bill £30+ million for this year at a very low guess? ), and transfer fees ( £6.5 million + for that Peterborough striker ), leaving just a little to rebuild the 2-bit, possibly just enough to rebuild the awful Arthur Waite.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
The thing is Palace won't have a £120 million bank balance when they fall back to the championship.

£60 million is future parachute payments split over 4 seasons, and the other £60 million is being hoovered up by wages ( wage bill £30+ million for this year at a very low guess? ), and transfer fees ( £6.5 million + for that Peterborough striker ), leaving just a little to rebuild the 2-bit, possibly just enough to rebuild the awful Arthur Waite.

Don't you worry, there's still plenty in the pot! And to be honest, it's way more than the £120 million quoted. You're forgetting the £10 million we banked for Zaha, the higher income generated from our increased crowds, increase in merchandise sales like replica shirts, more food and drink sold in the ground, money received from sponsorships deals that we wouldn't have been able to get in The Championship etc.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Don't you worry, there's still plenty in the pot! And to be honest, it's way more than the £120 million quoted. You're forgetting the £10 million we banked for Zaha, the higher income generated from our increased crowds, increase in merchandise sales like replica shirts, more food and drink sold in the ground, money received from sponsorships deals that we wouldn't have been able to get in The Championship etc.

What you forget is that the other teams who have come back down (not all successful either) have nice newish stadiums.

You HAVE to revamp Selhurst Park soon or it'll drag you down through the leagues.

This is where that money should be going... but we all know it won't will it?

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
What you forget is that the other teams who have come back down (not all successful either) have nice newish stadiums.

You HAVE to revamp Selhurst Park soon or it'll drag you down through the leagues.

This is where that money should be going... but we all know it won't will it?

See that's where you're wrong. A stadium doesn't drag you down (or up) the leagues, it's on the pitch where it really matters. The sooner you realise this the better.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Looking at the table, I honestly think barring a miracle your promotion hopes are over already. QPR are walking the league, you're 11 points off of them, Burnley and Leicester are 8 points ahead of you already and given there's hardly anything between you and their squads, I can't see you catching them. Then the 3 teams after that are Reading, Forest and Watford. On paper they are far superior sides to you so even if you were level on points with them at this this stage i'd back them to come through and comfortably finish above you after 46 games. As it transpires though, they already have a 6 point lead on you. Gonna be very hard for you and I think your be finishing somewhere between 8th and 14th this year.

Weren't u 12 points ahead of us in March last yr before we proved we were the better team over the 46 games?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Funny that, I switched on the TV last night as well, watched MOTD first (a show your never be on) then watched The FLS afterwards and enjoyed you getting stuffed again, this time to the footballing giants that are Ipswich Town :laugh:

Do you not see the irony with your post? In fact, are you Londoner on the BBS? He decided to start the below thread about us at the same time you were 2-0 down at Portman Road. Pot, Kettle, Black etc etc

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=247353

Footballing giants, Ipswich Town who are a much bigger club than palace! Do you not see the irony with your post?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think someone's taken an absolute kicking on this thread and embarrassed themselves big style. Taxi for 5-Zero... go and take your frustrations of supporting a tin pot club somewhere else...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
See that's where you're wrong. A stadium doesn't drag you down (or up) the leagues, it's on the pitch where it really matters. The sooner you realise this the better.

Well, it can seriously hamper the club if an entire stand gets closed. The AW Stand is probably very close to being condemned and deemed unsuitable for use and dangerous, Spurs have already reported it to the FA !! Not spending the money on the ground is foolish, especially if you have long term aspirations of actually staying in the Premier League.

I too saw MOTD Saints vs TheJackHunts.

My first thought was - why is there a block of unsold seats in the Palace end? I thought they had the best away support in the Prem?

My second thought was - feck me, the team is actually worse than last season despite the millions spent.

theboybilly

Well, it can seriously hamper the club if an entire stand gets closed. The AW Stand is probably very close to being condemned and deemed unsuitable for use and dangerous, Spurs have already reported it to the FA !! Not spending the money on the ground is foolish, especially if you have long term aspirations of actually staying in the Premier League.

It's not just the Arthur Waite Stand though is it? The Holmesdale is sitting on blancmange and the dear old Main Stand is well overdue serious redevelopment. The Sainsburys end might be okay for the likes of Fleetwood (or the away end at Exeter) but it never has been a top-flight standard structure. Proper investment in Selhurst Park will be at least £60 million, probably nearer £100 million.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I too saw MOTD Saints vs TheJackHunts.

My first thought was - why is there a block of unsold seats in the Palace end? I thought they had the best away support in the Prem?

My second thought was - feck me, the team is actually worse than last season despite the millions spent.

It does amuse me that their team really does seem to be weaker than last year. I can't see anyone in their squad that has even come close to replacing Zaha. I'd really fancy out chances if we drew them in the cup.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
After 46 games, yes. After 48, no :lol:

So at the end of the regular season we were the better team, followed by a draw and your win in the playoffs. You posted that a single result does not accurately reflect one team's superiority over the other, so will you admit that the team who finishes higher after 46 game season is the better team? I know you can't/won't :D

It does amuse me that their team really does seem to be weaker than last year. I can't see anyone in their squad that has even come close to replacing Zaha. I'd really fancy out chances if we drew them in the cup.

I think any team would fancy their chances if they drew Palace in the Cup. Hollowhead would pick a "weakened team" (if that is possible) to concentrate on Prem survival. Lets face it - the team that got up last year did it by the skin of their teeth and their best two players Zaha & Murray are not available. The squad they have at the moment would struggle to compete in the Championship, so it's not surprising they are rolling over every week in the Prem.

They have Bolton written all over them.:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here