Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace moan thread - something to chuckle at

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Of course i do, there is no way we can compete with some of the teams in this division.Look at Leicester for example, they've spent millions this year gambling to go up, and it might or might not pay off.
The problem is half the teams are on parachute payments, so financially they need to bounce back before the money drys up.
Im under no illusion how tough the next few years will be, on and off the field.

All the time you host football at that run down shack in Croydon you are not going to attract new fans or coming back fans, it just won't happen. It has been proved by your dwindling audiences that the hard core Palace base is hovering somewhere around the 10k and it is getting thinner year on year. Football fans nowadays want to have an experience for the day, not just the 90 minutes as is being proved up and down the country. They want to take their families which in turn gets the kids supporting their dad/mums club. We know about this on the South coast obviously and despite your current mid table mediocrity can you seriously see Palace making any kind of challenge with the small fanbase and lack of interest? Hence it will take years of heartache before you start realising there is light at the end of the tunnel again in Croydon. And if this 70k idea is true, who on earth dreamt that one up? Even Chelsea aren't looking for a 70k stadium, or Tottenham, Arsenal didn't and West Ham aren't either. This cloud in cuckoo land... did Parrish buy it?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So what's he doing wrong in his running of CPFC ?

As I just said and if true, this is after all NSC, 70k stadium? Even 40k is ambitious! If his customer base was as low at Tag as it is at Palace he would have written it off as a money losing project. Hence the 'some professionals turn into amateurs when buying football clubs' remark.

Jan 12, 2012
All the time you host football at that run down shack in Croydon you are not going to attract new fans or coming back fans, it just won't happen. It has been proved by your dwindling audiences that the hard core Palace base is hovering somewhere around the 10k and it is getting thinner year on year. Football fans nowadays want to have an experience for the day, not just the 90 minutes as is being proved up and down the country. They want to take their families which in turn gets the kids supporting their dad/mums club. We know about this on the South coast obviously and despite your current mid table mediocrity can you seriously see Palace making any kind of challenge with the small fanbase and lack of interest? Hence it will take years of heartache before you start realising there is light at the end of the tunnel again in Croydon. And if this 70k idea is true, who on earth dreamt that one up? Even Chelsea aren't looking for a 70k stadium, or Tottenham, Arsenal didn't and West Ham aren't either. This cloud in cuckoo land... did Parrish buy it?

You're basing all this on the say so of a fellow Brighton fan are you ? FWIW, i've heard nothing of the sort,and i'd think if it was true,there would be a few rumours about it at this end.
The club is trying very hard to get more kids at the games for next season with the free season tickets,and season tickets are up on last year, so its working.
I'd settle for mid table mediocrity this season, its so much better then fighting relegation.
The only way we will get a large increase in attendance figures is to move, you can vouch for that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They are doing all right, not losing many games......but their playing style is so boring that their support is losing interest. Freedman has a problem, does he release the handbrake, change the defensive style and risk defeat in order to win.....or carry on regardless playing a tight sort of game and lose the crowd.

Perhaps now that they have nothing to play for he'll be a bit more adventurous.

I'm glad we've got Gus.

Jan 12, 2012
As I just said and if true, this is after all NSC, 70k stadium? Even 40k is ambitious! If his customer base was as low at Tag as it is at Palace he would have written it off as a money losing project. Hence the 'some professionals turn into amateurs when buying football clubs' remark.

When Tony Bloom got involved in Brighton,you were on your knees,so dont get too carried away.
As i've said previously,it wont happen overnight, if you were told 10 years ago you would be in a £100 mill stadium and going for promotion to the promise land, what would you and the other 5000 have said?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You're basing all this on the say so of a fellow Brighton fan are you ? FWIW, i've heard nothing of the sort,and i'd think if it was true,there would be a few rumours about it at this end.
The club is trying very hard to get more kids at the games for next season with the free season tickets,and season tickets are up on last year, so its working.
I'd settle for mid table mediocrity this season, its so much better then fighting relegation.
The only way we will get a large increase in attendance figures is to move, you can vouch for that.
Or play attractive winning football :thumbsup:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As I just said and if true, this is after all NSC, 70k stadium? Even 40k is ambitious!

Best to read before replying

You can dress it all up with freebies and groupons but the truth of the matter is people just don't want to go to a dilapidated stadium. There is not an 'experience' at Selhurst other than a shit one with half a stadium empty. And you could sell 10k of season tickets (I did say that is your hard core) but a third of them regularly don't turn up yet get added on to the attendance. I don't seriously see what is working? I think you will struggle to stay in this division next year, my opinion. Small fanbase at games, sale of your better players, no money to replenish like for like, or at least to the level needed and the general apathy that you suffer (Palace fans words, not mine). I have already intimated that we have raised the fan base by having a new stadium and match day experience now, and it can only get better. I think you'll have a few more years of apathy and dejection to look forward to.

Jan 12, 2012
They are doing all right, not losing many games......but their playing style is so boring that their support is losing interest. Freedman has a problem, does he release the handbrake, change the defensive style and risk defeat in order to win.....or carry on regardless playing a tight sort of game and lose the crowd.

Perhaps now that they have nothing to play for he'll be a bit more adventurous.

I'm glad we've got Gus.

Up to christmas we were going great guns and playing some nice football. I think DF sets out his team to be sound defencively,not concede a goal, and nick one at the other end. Hopefully now, with the chance of a playoff spot looking unlikely,we'll see a more attack minded formation.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When Tony Bloom got involved in Brighton,you were on your knees,so dont get too carried away.
As i've said previously,it wont happen overnight, if you were told 10 years ago you would be in a £100 mill stadium and going for promotion to the promise land, what would you and the other 5000 have said?

But I haven't mentioned Brighton in that quote, I am talking about successful businessmen suddenly losing their marbles and going for a non viable product. Dragons Den wouldn't touch you!

Jan 12, 2012
Best to read before replying

You can dress it all up with freebies and groupons but the truth of the matter is people just don't want to go to a dilapidated stadium. There is not an 'experience' at Selhurst other than a shit one with half a stadium empty. And you could sell 10k of season tickets (I did say that is your hard core) but a third of them regularly don't turn up yet get added on to the attendance. I don't seriously see what is working? I think you will struggle to stay in this division next year, my opinion. Small fanbase at games, sale of your better players, no money to replenish like for like, or at least to the level needed and the general apathy that you suffer (Palace fans words, not mine). I have already intimated that we have raised the fan base by having a new stadium and match day experience now, and it can only get better. I think you'll have a few more years of apathy and dejection to look forward to.

Thanks for your kind words

Jan 12, 2012
I'm trying the unfashionable way to talk to a Nigel on NSC and not being abusive, in fact trying to be realistic. Take it or leave it.

Thanks for the option, my heart say's stick with em for another season, my head say's f**k em,join the waiting list at the Amex, decisions, decisions ... i'll have to sleep on it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Thanks for the option, my heart say's stick with em for another season, my head say's f**k em,join the waiting list at the Amex, decisions, decisions ... i'll have to sleep on it.

What's all this then?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Up to christmas we were going great guns and playing some nice football. I think DF sets out his team to be sound defencively,not concede a goal, and nick one at the other end. Hopefully now, with the chance of a playoff spot looking unlikely,we'll see a more attack minded formation.
I wonder how long Mr Parrish will be able to resist having a quiet word with DF about his tactics? I'm not sure what your break even figure is but the decline in attendance must be a worry for him. It would be a shame to have to sell your young players (especially the excellent Williams) to make it pay.

Jan 12, 2012
I wonder how long Mr Parrish will be able to resist having a quiet word with DF about his tactics? I'm not sure what your break even figure is but the decline in attendance must be a worry for him. It would be a shame to have to sell your young players (especially the excellent Williams) to make it pay.

Clynes off in the summer, should be around £2 mill in compo. Zaha i think will stay for another season, but Williams is the one we need to keep hold of, excellent player

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Clynes off in the summer, should be around £2 mill in compo. Zaha i think will stay for another season, but Williams is the one we need to keep hold of, excellent player

Zaha will be gone, this has been his dress rehearsal season for polishing up on the premiership diving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here