Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Looks like the big clubs are circling for Guehi in January. That will be a test of his and Beaky’s ambitions. To be fair, he’s been a very good signing for them but will be v hard to replace on their budget.
Think they may find he's a part of the "ring-fenced" new stand budget, along with Eze and the tea lady (person)

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Think they may find he's a part of the "ring-fenced" new stand budget, along with Eze and the tea lady (person)
LOLs. Seemingly the only thing that’s ring-fenced by them is their ageing FB Mr Joel Ward. He seems to get picked regardless of form or manager. I’ve read many negative comments about him on their Forums to that regard.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Selling quality players is a very important part of balancing your squad and make your club stronger (not just your team).
One of the best clubs at doing this (as well as Brighton) is Manchester City.
Also, under Alex Ferguson Manchester United often sold good quality players and brought other players through their system.

Palace need to learn when to sell their best players. As an example I think they should have sold Zaha earlier and reinvested in their squad.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Selling quality players is a very important part of balancing your squad and make your club stronger (not just your team).
Also, under Alex Ferguson Manchester United often sold good quality players and brought other players through their system.

Palace need to learn when to sell their best players. As an example I think they should have sold Zaha earlier and reinvested in their squad.

Can't disagree, we also seem to make a minimal profit on players we buy that don't make our grade

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

Zaha was sold to Man united for 10 > 15 million in 2013 ( which was a club record at the time) but loaned out to palace for the rest of the season.

He returned to palace from man united in 2015 for 3 > 6 million and played another 8 seasons.

TBF I think Palace did quite well out of him, although many rumours about him leaving, I think only Arsenal would have tempted him.

Signings off the back of his sale would include, Dwight Gayle, Jason puncheon , joe Ledley and Wayne Hennessy so they did reinvest ?

When you say learn when to sell their players, do you mean like Aaron Wan-Bissaka sold for 45> 50 million after just 42 games for palace.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
When you say learn when to sell their players, do you mean like Aaron Wan-Bissaka sold for 45> 50 million after just 42 games for palace.
Yes, that’s the kind of thing you need to replicate more often rather than just once several seasons ago. But fair play, that was a great deal.
Still, you’ve now managed to spend your funds buying a decent keeper to sit on the bench even though you seem to have more pressing needs.
And I think it was poor financial management allowing Zaha to run down his contract and get nothing for him.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Dad palace ever really get a good offer for Zaha ?

One might say he kept palace in the premier division which in its self is pretty good financial planning ?
Not knowing the full facts I would say that Palace did very well out of Zaha , his wages were tasty but probably well offset by keeping them up at various times.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Zaha was sold to Man united for 10 > 15 million in 2013 ( which was a club record at the time) but loaned out to palace for the rest of the season.

He returned to palace from man united in 2015 for 3 > 6 million and played another 8 seasons.

TBF I think Palace did quite well out of him, although many rumours about him leaving, I think only Arsenal would have tempted him.

Signings off the back of his sale would include, Dwight Gayle, Jason puncheon , joe Ledley and Wayne Hennessy so they did reinvest ?

Don't disagree there have been some very good examples you could point at, but I wouldn't say Palace are a leading example of player development and recruitment, and certainly not on the scale of Brighton. For me, and I accept this is an arms length opinion, when Palace have made money on a player they haven't reinvested that money to ensure longer term squad strengthening, it's always seemed about the season they're in.

These are only opinions on a Brighton chat board, which will always focus on Palace and Brighton, I'm sure both clubs figure in the upper echelons when you look at the 92 clubs!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Dad palace ever really get a good offer for Zaha ?

One might say he kept palace in the premier division which in its self is pretty good financial planning ?
The fact he kept Palace up is undeniably true.
But it is only good financial planning retrospectively.

There was a long period of time when Palace couldn't win games without him.
Fortunately his ability to recover from injuries was exceptional.

Had he done his ACL in one of those seasons, it would have looked like very poor financial planning.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The fact he kept Palace up is undeniably true.
But it is only good financial planning retrospectively.

There was a long period of time when Palace couldn't win games without him.
Fortunately his ability to recover from injuries was exceptional.

Had he done his ACL in one of those seasons, it would have looked like very poor financial planning.

I also wonder if a perceived one-man superhero at a club disincentives younger players from joining as they fear the chance of breaking the mould is too much to contemplate? We have Lewis, but many other talented youngsters and players that have joined and risen through the ranks, it's the first club I'd come to if I were a talented youngster, why sit on the bench at City, Utd etc when you can become an overnight superstar with those money cultivating, forward thinking, European playing, legends from Sussex?

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Good financial planning and Palace, shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

They are reactive instead of proactive. I love reading on the BBS how they are only a few players away from being in Europe. The problem is, we have been hearing this for years and little old Brighton turn up and show them how it's really done.

They should be envious of us and accept the pupil as now become the teacher.

The away end on the BBS is enriched with fabrication to forfil their naritive and make themselves feel better bless them.

Yes @Dougie, I'm looking at you. And his mates Spindle and grand aigle who thinks he is some sort of big rich man when the truth is closer to he wanks off in a sock in his bedroom in his mum's house.

They are another kind of breed them lot. Feel sorry for them really. Must be hard for them.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good financial planning and Palace, shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

They are reactive instead of proactive. I love reading on the BBS how they are only a few players away from being in Europe. The problem is, we have been hearing this for years and little old Brighton turn up and show them how it's really done.

They should be envious of us and accept the pupil has now become the teacher.

The away end on the BBS is enriched with fabrication to forfil their naritive and make themselves feel better bless them.

Yes @Dougie, I'm looking at you. And his mates Spindle and grand aigle who thinks he is some sort of big rich man when the truth is closer to he wanks off in a sock in his bedroom in his mum's house.

They are another kind of breed them lot. Feel sorry for them really. Must be hard for them.
This is the hardest part for most Palace fans to accept, at the moment, soon it will be undeniable by all.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
This is the hardest part for most Palace fans to accept, at the moment, soon it will be undeniable by all.
Well… maybe.

The frustrating thing is that the European campaign is definitely making the Premier League season harder and a glance at the table shows Palace just behind us.

It’s not a given that we’ll place ahead of them and if they happen to finish a spot or two above us, regardless of whether or not we progress in Europe, they’ll gleefully take the opportunity to point out they have the whip hand.

It would be context free nonsense of course, but they’d still do it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Well… maybe.

The frustrating thing is that the European campaign is definitely making the Premier League season harder and a glance at the table shows Palace just behind us.

It’s not a given that we’ll place ahead of them and if they happen to finish a spot or two above us, regardless of whether or not we progress in Europe, they’ll gleefully take the opportunity to point out they have the whip hand.

In fairness, why wouldn't you big it up.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well… maybe.

But anyone who understands football, and the EPL especially, knows that IF we finish Top 10 in our first season in Europe we'll have done well, if we finish high enough for another European campaign it'll be superb and that is evidence of a continuous improvement by Brighton.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I have a good friend who's a Palace fan -another who is more of an acquaintance.

They are so p*SSed off we're in Europe - all Palace fans are - it was made worse for them by the quality of games and cities we're going to.

A European tour like we're having is all they want - we've come from nowhere and are now living the dream. I'm loving it whilst they're just dripping with jelousy.

And for those Palace fans reading this, must dash, got a plane to Amsterdam to catch.

Last edited:

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Palace fans are certainly jealous of the European tour, but is it having a knock on effect on Premier League performance? Certainly looks like the previous habits of lots of possession but not many shots are reappearing. Is this down to fatigue? Injuries? Asking for a friend, as its clear Palace wont need to worry about this for a while

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Palace fans are certainly jealous of the European tour, but is it having a knock on effect on Premier League performance? Certainly looks like the previous habits of lots of possession but not many shots are reappearing. Is this down to fatigue? Injuries? Asking for a friend, as its clear Palace wont need to worry about this for a while
Indirectly - but 7th in the league and one of the top scorers , isn't too bad.
The issue is the constant changing of the first team, which is leading to us conceding much more.
Don't think we've played two consecutive games with less than 5 changes to the first 11.

There's a much higher number of new first teamers than we're used to.
De Zerbi is convinced we need to rotate everyone to have a squad capable of competing in Europe and the league throughout the season.
We're paying for it now, but the hope is that we will have a more capable squad as the season progresses.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Indirectly - but 7th in the league and one of the top scorers , isn't too bad.
The issue is the constant changing of the first team, which is leading to us conceding much more.
Don't think we've played two consecutive games with less than 5 changes to the first 11.

There's a much higher number of new first teamers than we're used to.
De Zerbi is convinced we need to rotate everyone to have a squad capable of competing in Europe and the league throughout the season.
We're paying for it now, but the hope is that we will have a more capable squad as the season progresses.
It's not like consistent results in the League was ever a strong point last season either (I assume we still haven't won more than 2 league games on the bounce under De Zerbi?).
And we sold two important midfielders over the summer.
And despite all the doom and gloom, we are still higher up the table and have more points and a better goal difference after 11 games than we did last season.

And we're playing Ajax tomorrow.

And we're above Palace.

If this is having our season wrecked by Europe I'll take it every year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here