[Misc] Owen Patterson M.P.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
“I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of scrutiny. Sorry, I mean politics”

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
At least he's not short of a few quid... :shrug:

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Well at least he has connections so he won't be on the dole for too long.

I'm loathed to use hashtags but in this instance I feel we must #prayforPatterson.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
7CBCC2E3-C9B4-42AF-9093-0CA94444F08A.jpeg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
And on we go...

No way has he voluntarily given up his cushy seat, £88k pa plus expenses and the extra bunce he was able to trouser through being a well-connected MP.

Doubtless, No:10 drafted his 'resignation' for him. The forthcoming vote would doubtless have resulted in his 30-day suspension and for the govnt it would be much easier if he just disappeared so they can get on with the business of neutering the Standards Committee before the really embarrassing cases come before it.

I'm sure Mr Patterson's untimely parliamentary exit will be sweetened with a few non-exec directorships and the promise of a seat in the Lords once the dust has settled.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
“I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics”

Cruel world of politics? Seems like he was having a great time of it to be honest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is what I think is happening. She (and possibly others) have been told that to hang out Owen to dry, now, will damage the revovery from Covid and the readjustments after Brexit. "We will get Owen out in a less damaging way, perhaps by encouraging him to select to spend more time with his family in the New Year. In the meantime we will tighten up the arrangements on this with new legislation. We would be happy for you to resume your PPS position if you agree to recant."

What right thinking person wouldn't agree to go along with that? ???

:facepalm:

Sorry to quote myself but it seems that apart from one small detail (he's gone now rather than in the New Year) I may well have hit the nail on the head with that bit of (what was actually intended as) satire. Am I Dom Cummings in disguise? ???

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Imagine being one of the Tory MPs who yesterday threw away their integrity by voting for this tawdry nonsense, and yet here we are less than 24 hours later where the Government fully u-turned and now he's resigning. Incredible. Would love to be a fly on the wall of their offices when it broke.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
This crowd make Black Adder, Baldrick and Colin the Dachshund and their rigged election in Dunny on the Wold look like complete amateurs.

As the late great Terry Thomas would say

T thomas.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Utter shower, the lot of them.

Genuinely tricky to pick out who has been the worst of the bunch over the past couple of days.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Yes. But you know full well that in his constituency you could pin a blue rosette on a dog or donkey and it would top the polls.

He never does anything because he knows he doesn't have to. At the last GE he had a majority of 15K polling twice as many votes as the Labour Party candidate. Just how safe do you want a seat to be?

Quite. Yet Worthing Foodbank supplied 18,000 meals last year. AFAIK he's not been down there, not even to thank them for the Gofundme after his sob story about his paltry £82k salary. You can't get an NHS dentist in West Sussex thanks to them all going private. Young people in the area are facing a housing crisis thanks to the continuing escalation of house prices and ridiculous rental costs. Look I don't know the bloke and I'm sure he's not all bad but he seems about as visible in the local community as a silent fart and sadly there is no hope of getting any kind of replacement.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
“I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics”

Bitter yes, but after what's happened he couldn't say: "I'm standing down to spend more time with my family".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports