Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Owen Patterson M.P.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If anyone is in any doubt that the Governments behaviour had anything to do with Owen Patterson (and not an act of revenge on the Standards Committee), they didn't oven bother to tell him about the u-turn.

He found out from a journalist whilst he was out shopping in the supermarket.

Lay off this MP in my opinion (Labour MPs have done worse), he broke the rules but did so whilst alerting to the Government to food safety issues.

Concentrate your anger on those who hijacked the issue to meet another agenda.

Shirley you're not suggesting the corruption goes higher than a mere ex-minister and backbench MP ???

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If anyone is in any doubt that the Governments behaviour had anything to do with Owen Patterson (and not an act of revenge on the Standards Committee), they didn't even bother to tell him about the u-turn.

Lay off this MP in my opinion (Labour MPs have done worse), he broke the rules but did so whilst alerting to the Government to food safety issues.

He should have alerted the government as was his duty. Trousering £500k for doing it is taking the piss.

How the flying **** you can defend this prick for whoring out his position as an MP is beyond me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been very busy at work so missed all the fun. I think he's resigned only because he has been hung out to dry by his own party.

As for his " Public Servant " aspirations, I hope he's aware there isn't a lot of cash in public service and I think he's highly unlikely to match the late John Profumo in his actions! So, its just live off a few easy directorships and his MP'S pension and top that up with picking fruit and,vegetables..

So, good riddance and let's hope we can see today as a turning point where those in high office actually have to account for their actions and misdeeds.... Be aware Mr Johnson.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
He should have alerted the government as was his duty. Trousering £500k for doing it is taking the piss.

How the flying **** you can defend this prick for whoring out his position as an MP is beyond me.

Calm down grandad.

I'm no defending him at all. Many are up to it (on both of the house) but there is clearly a lot more going on here. If you read the report he clearly broke the rules but alerted the government at the same time. Problem was in the first case, he promoted his employer to sort it out. I've already said that, but concentrating on him completely misses the point.

You have to put it into context. Owen Patterson wasn't working for an oil company or a bank. Just read the report.

This is everything about a spat between the PM and Katherine Stone which has a bit of history and also a future.

It does look like she has it in for him and has even been overruled by her committee on previous judgements about him. Johnson clearly wants her gone and jumped on the Owen Patterson issue to do it, hijacking not only his party but parliament in the process.

People like him are cunning foxes and you have to tick all the boxes before attempting to bring him down. If you don't it can start to look like a vendetta and he knows that.

This plot has totally backfired and this afternoon threw his "friend" Owen Patterson (yeah right) under a bus. That's why he has resigned. He found out about the u-turn when a journalist phoned him whilst he was in a supermarket. They couldn't even be bothered to tell him.

So let's focus on where the serious wrong doing lies and not in the concerns of a back bencher who thought he could sort his employers out with a nice public sector gig at the same time. That's why they employed him, that's why all MPs have second jobs because of their influence.

It goes on all the time and he was rightly found out.

But focusing on him misses the point and lets face it, is a nice distraction for the man in charge whose entire political career is based on distractions.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He and Johnson are shameless *****. Both using his wife’s suicide to justify his corruption. What scum.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Calm down grandad.

I'm no defending him at all. Many are up to it (on both of the house) but there is clearly a lot more going on here. If you read the report he clearly broke the rules but alerted the government at the same time. Problem was in the first case, he promoted his employer to sort it out. I've already said that, but concentrating on him completely misses the point.

You have to put it into context. Owen Patterson wasn't working for an oil company or a bank. Just read the report.

This is everything about a spat between the PM and Katherine Stone which has a bit of history and also a future.

It does look like she has it in for him and has even been overruled by her committee on previous judgements about him. Johnson clearly wants her gone and jumped on the Owen Patterson issue to do it, hijacking not only his party but parliament in the process.

People like him are cunning foxes and you have to tick all the boxes before attempting to bring him down. If you don't it can start to look like a vendetta and he knows that.

This plot has totally backfired and this afternoon threw his "friend" Owen Patterson (yeah right) under a bus. That's why he has resigned. He found out about the u-turn when a journalist phoned him whilst he was in a supermarket. They couldn't even be bothered to tell him.

So let's focus on where the real wrong doing lies and not in the genuine concerns of a back bencher who thought he could sort his employers out with a nice public sector gig at the same time.

It misses the point and lets face it, is a nice distraction for the man in charge.

Johnson’s hoping that he won’t be targeted now for his wallpaper and holidays. Paterson is expendable.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Johnson’s hoping that he won’t be targeted now for his wallpaper and holidays. Paterson is expendable.

Mair got it bang on, Johnson is a very nasty piece of work, nothing like his public persona, that is all an act.
Just look at his misdemeanours in his short time as PM, mistakes, lies, breaking rules, lying to the Queen, contracts for PALS, protecting others who broke the code etc etc.
Somehow the Tories and then the public need to get rid of him and quick.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
My local MP Mims Davies has taken to Facebook to explain her voting for the Leadsom amendment last night but fully supportive of the U Turn today. It’s quite pathetic.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
How come Leadsom seems to be getting away with it.
I can't stand the woman, she looks just like you would expect a Tory woman to look like.
A horrible snob.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
[TWEET]1456293758073516032[/TWEET]

Its last week but still.

I wonder if the -3 to the greens is a kick against insulate Britain? Are they undermining the support for climate action and maybe this is the result?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Calm down grandad.

So let's focus on where the serious wrong doing lies and not in the concerns of a back bencher who thought he could sort his employers out with a nice public sector gig at the same time. That's why they employed him, that's why all MPs have second jobs because of their influence.

It goes on all the time and he was rightly found out.

But focusing on him misses the point and lets face it, is a nice distraction for the man in charge whose entire political career is based on distractions.

Never been called grandad before. A first for everything I suppose.

Firstly, He was playing fast and very loose with the rules. He took a money to advance an organisation. £500k isn’t a small amount.

Secondly, he still doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong.

Thirdly, agree that there is a much bigger picture and that we should all be focussing on Boris and the rest of the scumbags that inhabit the House of Parliament. They wanted this buried and as quietly as possible. Thankfully it hasn’t been.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Never been called grandad before. A first for everything I suppose.

Firstly, He was playing fast and very loose with the rules. He took a money to advance an organisation. £500k isn’t a small amount.

Secondly, he still doesn’t think he’s done anything wrong.

Thirdly, agree that there is a much bigger picture and that we should all be focussing on Boris and the rest of the scumbags that inhabit the House of Parliament. They wanted this buried and as quietly as possible. Thankfully it hasn’t been.

:thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If anyone is in any doubt that the Governments behaviour had anything to do with Owen Patterson (and not an act of revenge on the Standards Committee), they didn't even bother to tell him about the u-turn.

...and this benefited one of his "sponsors", Lynn Country Foods Ltd, whilst having a negative impact on one of their direct major competitors (Kerry's). Would he have lobbyed so fervently on their behalf - 14 times in 2 years - were he not trousering £4k a month from them ? Answers on a postcard.

Murky, and a clear conflict of interests. And thats before we even mention the Randox fiasco, an already discredited company who were awarded a £350m government contract for covid track and trace (which they also went and fouled up with contaminated test kits having to be recalled).

Lay off him ? You must be joking. He's only the tip of the iceberg of course, but in an ideal world, this whole squalid story and the subsequent disgraceful fallout would be enough to bring down the government and get that lying mop-haired bungle**** out of No10. Sadly, as we know, he is the very definition of Teflon.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...and this benefited one of his "sponsors", Lynn Country Foods Ltd, whilst having a negative impact on one of their direct major competitors (Kerry's). Would he have lobbyed so fervently on their behalf - 14 times in 2 years - were he not trousering £4k a month from them ? Answers on a postcard.

Yes, but it's far more nuanced than that and if not for the involvement of an MP most people would fall on his side of the debate.

A MP lobbying for food safety is a marvellous thing in the context of others MPs "sponsors". Using that to give his employers a competitive advantage, very clearly not so.

Still confused why people are directing their anger at the MP rather than the PM who clearly hijacked the issue for another agenda.

That leaves Johnson laughing all the way to the Maldives.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[TWEET]1456293758073516032[/TWEET]

Its last week but still.

I’ve read a revealing tweet this evening.

Opinion polls are for influencing public opinion, not measuring it.

You’ve only got to target your demographic, ask the ‘right’ questions to get the answers you want.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here