Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our troops homecoming

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Just popped on this thread to see if the Percy's got a good welcome in Brighton. Should have known what it would have turned into on here.

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
I'm not closed minded. I am open minded. There are special interests involved in these wars, and it is closed minded not to consider their influence on policy. If they do have an influence on policy, that would surely be a shame, because we are dealing with the life and death of people we care about.

Nor am I bitter, It is out of compassion for our soldiers that I am saying what i do, it is they who often come back wounded or traumatized if they come back at all.

The question we have to ask ourselves is, is it worth it? Is it worth my brothers life, or my sisters life? I say no, it is not. Particularly because, as I have said it is my belief that these wars are pursued for and by special interest groups, not the soldiers themselves, nor you nor I.

They make sacrafices, no doubt, and they do so for what they believe is the interest of their fellow countrymen, which is wholey admirable. The question is, is it worth it?

If you really believe that these wars are worth the cost in the blood of our friends and families then, in my opinion, it is you who is disrespecting our soldiers.

And you can throw whatever insults at me that you want. Because I'll take it if that is the cost of telling the truth.

I have no insult to throw at you, but by banging on about the politics you do in my opinion show how narrow minded you are. Maybe that is an insult? Maybe instead I should say you appear to be missing the point of the parade and residents of the city showing their appreciation today and seem instead to want to argue about the rights and wrongs of a political decision. Not the place in my view

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
How can you be open minded when you've made your mind up!?

Does being open minded mean not having a view either way?

It means being willing to take all things into account.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
[you] seem...to want to argue about the rights and wrongs of a political decision.

You make the "political decision" sound like a technicality. It has cost so many lives, and will continue to do so, until people see this war for what it is.

I sympathise with people just wanting us all to be nice and wave flags and show our appreciation. But that does not help our soldiers, not really.

If we care about the troops at all, we should bring them home. It tends to be the people that end wars, not the politicians. So people have to change their minds. I dont call people names, I dont say bad things about our troops, I just dont want to see any more people die without cause.

Pump House Regular

Jan 18, 2009
Typical Wanky Brightonian comments. It actually makes me ashamed to say i'm from Brighton when I read things like this. Leaning so far to left its disgusting!

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
You make the "political decision" sound like a technicality. It has cost so many lives, and will continue to do so, until people see this war for what it is.

I sympathise with people just wanting us all to be nice and wave flags and show our appreciation. But that does not help our soldiers, not really.

If we care about the troops at all, we should bring them home. It tends to be the people that end wars, not the politicians. So people have to change their minds. I dont call people names, I dont say bad things about our troops, I just dont want to see any more people die without cause.

Tell our troops they are fighting without cause, they will rip your f***ing head off

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Dingodan. I'm sure your heart is in the right place but you are naïve in your world view.

I will look out for you on the 30th July I'm sure you will be wearing flowers in your hair.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Dingodan. I'm sure your heart is in the right place but you are naïve in your world view.

"Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I thought for a while earlier today, that perhaps this thread was not really the place to have this discussion, and others have said that. It did make me ask myself that question.

Upon reflection, this thread is exactly the place to have this discussion.

Whether you realise it or not, I am speaking for the troops.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
True Heros all of em

No they're not ALL heroes. Some are no doubt, but just because you choose a career in the military and get posted to some place where there's a conflict going on doesn't automatically make you a hero.

The use of the word in these circumstances shows disrespect to the true war heroes. Brave men (and some women) who were conscripted or volunteered to fight for the freedom of their country in the two World Wars. They were heroes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does being open minded mean not having a view either way?

It means being willing to take all things into account.

But you've taken a very polarised position, and shown no flexibility in your view point, representing conjecture and statements as 'facts'.

You're a bit like the lady that knocked on my door the other day and told me that much of the Bible is now scientifically proven. I proposed to her (not marriage) that I felt religion was one of the main contributing factors to violence in the world and she replied 'that's because not all people believe in the true faith'...right oh then I thought.

Perhaps some humility in your posts is all that is required.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
"Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ahh MLK - wasn't he the great baptist minister that was ploughing through half his female congregation? Glad you brought him up as an example of moral superiority.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I know my feelings wont be welcome in this thread.

Some of this stuff makes me feel sick though. These young men are sent to kill and die for absolutely nothing.

Their blood is shed for oil and empire. They are the pawns of the special interests.

Im sorry and this is not an indictment of the boys and girls themselves. But silence is as deadly as violence.

We should look at ourselves when we "shed tears" and talk of "heros", when what we are talking about is an invading army. Its not their fault where they are sent and what they are ordered to do, but not for the best part of 70 years has a soldier been sent to a foriegn land in the defence of this country.

Sorry.

Crap.
No oil in Afganistan.

Al Qaeda used it as a safe base to plan their cowardly attacks on the West. (Remember 9/11, London). Hating our way of life and us.
Nato with our brave military have made it far less comfortable for them, if not bloody difficult, to operate their cowards war.

Read up on what the UN, Russia, Nato, and the majority of Afganistani people wanted. Us there.

And your solution for dealing with Al Qaeda is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here