Our troops homecoming

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
From about midday the soldiers are expected to take part in a 40-minute parade from the peace statue on the seafront to New Road. Roads along the route will be closed for a short period while the parade travels along Kings Road, West Street, North Street and New Road.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
From about midday the soldiers are expected to take part in a 40-minute parade from the peace statue on the seafront to New Road. Roads along the route will be closed for a short period while the parade travels along Kings Road, West Street, North Street and New Road.

Spot on !

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
BBC iPlayer - Our War: Our War: Caught in the Crossfire

These are our boys who will be home tomorrow, give them 5 minutes of your time if you feel you can

Gutted cant be there today. Been watching this series on iPlayer - amazing insight into what these boys have to go through.

The stories they tell are real tear jerkers. I know the word hero is banded about a lot but these guys really are.

Hope they get the support theydeserve today and no crusties decide to have a pop.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I know my feelings wont be welcome in this thread.

Some of this stuff makes me feel sick though. These young men are sent to kill and die for absolutely nothing.

Their blood is shed for oil and empire. They are the pawns of the special interests.

Im sorry and this is not an indictment of the boys and girls themselves. But silence is as deadly as violence.

We should look at ourselves when we "shed tears" and talk of "heros", when what we are talking about is an invading army. Its not their fault where they are sent and what they are ordered to do, but not for the best part of 70 years has a soldier been sent to a foriegn land in the defence of this country.

Sorry.

Last edited:

johnmathews

Jun 8, 2011
Yes Obama will have units leaving Afghanistan soon and even if the Pentagon doesn't like it because he is committed to downsizing troops there, now that bin laden is death has dealt a blow to all terrorists. Even Gates believes he is on track to do so.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
a peace statue????......they are drones fighting for oil and control......

but the sun readers repeat the subliminals "our boys" ...... the war at the moment is not nationalism, it is to wake up to the control of the bankers and the elite. it is not a race or nations, this is an illusion, wake to the modern world. Corporations and Bankers control governments....factamundo.

respect @ dingodan.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
My brother inlaw is currently in Canada training for his first stint in Afghan cant say im looking forward to him going in the slightest, but he loves his job and he knew what he was signing up for.
His a brigadier guard based in Aldershot.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
a peace statue????......they are drones fighting for oil and control......

but the sun readers repeat the subliminals "our boys" ...... the war at the moment is not nationalism, it is to wake up to the control of the bankers and the elite. it is not a race or nations, this is an illusion, wake to the modern world. Corporations and Bankers control governments....factamundo.

respect @ dingodan.

Countries need an Army for obvious reasons. Certainly when these guys signed up for the Army they realised they would see some action - however for many what other option do they have? Regular paycheck and benefits that in this economy they cannot get elsewhere.

However these guys dont have an effect on policy. They are sent into some of the harshest, most violent areas imaginable,and told what to do. Watch the BBC series and you can see at first many think of it as a game and cant wait for "contact". However when one of their platoon gets blown up by an IED they quickly realise its no game. However they continue the fight showing professionalism and when required kill the enemy with devastating effiency.

Then when all the dust settles and they are patrolling the streets you can see the effects they are having on the locals who do welcome what they are doing - market towns now free of Taliban and thriving, new infrstructure, schools etc

In that sense they are heros - someone has to do this job, whether you agree with the government or not. And these guys step up to the plate.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My brother inlaw is currently in Canada training for his first stint in Afghan cant say im looking forward to him going in the slightest, but he loves his job and he knew what he was signing up for.
His a brigadier guard based in Aldershot.
Seriously,whats a brigadier guard ?genuine question , is he a grenadier guard by any chance ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know my feelings wont be welcome in this thread.

Some of this stuff makes me feel sick though. These young men are sent to kill and die for absolutely nothing.

Their blood is shed for oil and empire. They are the pawns of the special interests.

Im sorry and this is not an indictment of the boys and girls themselves. But silence is as deadly as violence.

We should look at ourselves when we "shed tears" and talk of "heros", when what we are talking about is an invading army. Its not their fault where they are sent and what they are ordered to do, but not for the best part of 70 years has a soldier been sent to a foriegn land in the defence of this country.

Sorry.

where in Afghanistan is there oil exactly?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Countries need an Army for obvious reasons. Certainly when these guys signed up for the Army they realised they would see some action - however for many what other option do they have? Regular paycheck and benefits that in this economy they cannot get elsewhere.

However these guys dont have an effect on policy. They are sent into some of the harshest, most violent areas imaginable,and told what to do. Watch the BBC series and you can see at first many think of it as a game and cant wait for "contact". However when one of their platoon gets blown up by an IED they quickly realise its no game. However they continue the fight showing professionalism and when required kill the enemy with devastating effiency.

Then when all the dust settles and they are patrolling the streets you can see the effects they are having on the locals who do welcome what they are doing - market towns now free of Taliban and thriving, new infrstructure, schools etc

In that sense they are heros - someone has to do this job, whether you agree with the government or not. And these guys step up to the plate.

Countries need an Army for obvious reasons. Yes, National Defence. If our shores are approached aggressively by a foriegn power, I myself will take up arms and fight. But that has not happened since WWII.

Regular paycheck and benefits that in this economy they cannot get elsewhere. Yes, generally it is the poorest in society who sign up to kill and die, what does that tell you?

At first many think of it as a game and cant wait for "contact". However when one of their platoon gets blown up by an IED they quickly realise its no game. Where do they get that idea? computer games, T.V programs, and unrealistic adverts telling them they can "be the best".

However they continue the fight showing professionalism and when required kill the enemy. As you pointed out, what other option do they have? particularly when they have signed up, and are there now.

Then when all the dust settles and they are patrolling the streets you can see the effects they are having on the locals who do welcome what they are doing Some do, most don't. But the ones that do you will see on the BBC, the ones who don't (the majority) you won't see on the BBC.

market towns now free of Taliban and thriving, new infrstructure, schools etc Again, you will see a new school on the BBC. What you won't see is the school that was levelled to the ground with kids inside, which the new school was built to replace.

In that sense they are heros - someone has to do this job Someone has to invade these countries? No, they don't.

If you don't want to listen to me, listen to the people who have seen these wars for themselves.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
....and oil in afghanistan?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
where in Afghanistan is there oil exactly?

It's about pipelines in Afghanistan. The gas pipeline will transport natural gas from the Caspian Sea from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan into Pakistan and through to India.

There has also been an ongoing desire to build an oil pipeline, which again would need to go through Afghanistan.

afghanistan_pipeline.jpg

Last edited:

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Countries need an Army for obvious reasons. Yes, National Defence. If our shores are approached aggressively by a foriegn power, I myself will take up arms and fight. But that has not happened since WWII.

I thought they were locating and destroying terrorist training camps? Surely it is better to be proactive than to wait for thousands of trained terrorists to storm our shores!

Just a thought like!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports