Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar says we were weaker after the transfer window

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The fee offered for Grabban HAD to be over £1.1 million because that was the release clause amount in his contract - a contract he signed this season before the Jan window. Then, after rejecting us he gets yet another new contract the greedy little Jeremy.

... and goes on to play a key part in getting Bmuff to within an inch of the playoffs, so they must feel it was well worth the investment.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The contracts of half of our squad are expiring this summer. Do we know what the situation is at other clubs? I would imagine that many other clubs have planned like this as well (ie the first season of FFP sanctions)?
We may not have to spend a load of cash on transfer fees if we can pick up decent players for nothing.

This summer's transfer window could be very interesting as many clubs will want to either get rid of higher earning players or re-negotiate their contracts down substantially. Many players will have to re-evaluate their wage demands. There could be a lot of bargains out there, so hopefully we will be in a good position to pick some of them up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hope this is not the case but more likely that when players left there was an expectation that other targeted replacements would come in. This obviously did not happen so the playing strength ended up weaker by misfortune rather than intention.

Without wanting to make this thread a binfest, there was always a lot made of Gus persuading players to come here - could it be that Burke and Oscar just don't have the same gravitas ( for want of a better word ) to get the better players to come ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The contracts of half of our squad are expiring this summer. Do we know what the situation is at other clubs? I would imagine that many other clubs have planned like this as well (ie the first season of FFP sanctions)?
We may not have to spend a load of cash on transfer fees if we can pick up decent players for nothing.

This summer's transfer window could be very interesting as many clubs will want to either get rid of higher earning players or re-negotiate their contracts down substantially. Many players will have to re-evaluate their wage demands. There could be a lot of bargains out there, so hopefully we will be in a good position to pick some of them up.

That effect should have been seen last summer; this current season is the first that accounts are subject to FFP scrutiny and potential embargoes.

Edit to add: although I do agree that this effect will accumulate year on year as contracts signed pre FFP expire.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

This all makes perfect sense. And yet I can't help imagining that so many clubs are going to ignore FFP, that we'll just get left out in the wind.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I saw the Barnes fee quoted as £400,000. Not sure if there is a clause that tops up due to Burnley's promotion? Anyone?

A few days after Barnes signed for Burnley, a Clarets fan came on here and stated that the fee was 400k up front, 200k in appearance-related add-ons, and 150k in an add-on if Burnley got promoted at any point during Barnes' 3 1/2 year contract.

Obviously I have no idea if that post was based on factual information, but it seems plausible and would explain why some sources might report the fee as 750k (ie the maximum possible) and others might report the fee as 400k (ie the initial outlay).

If that poster was correct, it would mean the fee has so far amounted to at least 550k, and possibly more, depending on the structure of the appearance-related criteria.

Edit: Having posted the above, I decided to search for the actual post. Here it is:-

Just to clear a few things up.

1. The fee is £750k including add ons.

- £400k up front
- £200k in appearance related add ons
- £150k if Burnley get promoted at any time during the current contract.

2. Ashley Barnes isn't on any more than £5k week at Burnley FC.

3. I am proud to say I helped with the Alive and Kicking Scheme.

4. Burnley FC is a very proud and traditional club whose history of achievements far exceed most clubs in the football league.

5. Turf Moor is an original ground. It is 131 years years old. We don't like to throw things away up North. I am sorry if the facilities aren't to your liking but you obviously didn't watch football in the 70's and 80's or at the Withdean !

6. I have family in Hove who are BHA fans and wish they could still go on the Goldstone Ground rather than have shiny new facilities.

7. Burnley and its surrounding areas has some of the most beautiful countryside in the country and the friendliest people. (Their words not mine)

8. Good luck to Brighton I have followed them as my second team for over 40 years. I like the club the people and the family feel as its very similar to Burnley. I love Hove and also Brighton to a lesser extent but remember that every town and city in the UK is struggling with social issues so don't look down your nose at Burnley, I know first hand what happens in Brighton and even sometimes Hove.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
This all makes perfect sense. And yet I can't help imagining that so many clubs are going to ignore FFP, that we'll just get left out in the wind.

Forest are giving Stuart Pearce £10m in the summer so they are going to ignore the FFP rules.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Tony Bloom has given us a ground. Just saying.

Not to sure if I understand your question/answer really. It seems you think I'm against FFP and we should follow suit in spending money which we haven't got which isn't the case. I said Forest are spending £10m which indicates they are going to ignore the rules. I will always back Mr Bloom and the club stance on the FFP.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not to sure if I understand your question/answer really. It seems you think I'm against FFP and we should follow suit in spending money which we haven't got which isn't the case. I said Forest are spending £10m which indicates they are going to ignore the rules. I will always back Mr Bloom and the club stance on the FFP.

It was just a point re someone (I.e. Forests owners) breaking FFP by "giving" them 10 million. It isn't a gift.

FFP is only part of the story here. Unless we are self sufficient any investment in the squad would have to come from Blooms pocket again and I feel he might be getting just a tiny bit fed up with it having funded our biggest asset.

Last edited:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Bridcut gone and only one striker at the club, did it make any difference to his team selection of having only one striker in the side or would he have played Grabban alongside Ulloa, not sure his track record would bare this out. End of season excuses are approaching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here