Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar says we were weaker after the transfer window

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It was just a point re someone (I.e. Forests owners) breaking FFP by "giving" them 10 million. It isn't a gift.

FFP is only part of the story here. Unless we are self sufficient any investment in the squad would have to come from Blooms pocket again and I feel he might be getting just a tiny bit fed up with it having funded our biggest asset.

I don't think Bloom is that naive, as if he's going "I can't believe they still want more money at this club!"

While not complaining, it is very odd that we seemed determined to spend bazillions on the ground, the academy and everything else but not on the one place which will actually get us to the PL, which is the playing squad.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is true that we were weaker in the second half of the season, but I think it has been Crofts we have missed the most, closely followed by Barnes and Bridcutt and El-Abd hardly at all. The sales were inevitable, the difficulty in signing replacements was clear but the injury to Crofts is what has hurt us the most I think.

The overspending limit goes down further next season under FFP, but I wonder what the accounting period is and if players signed early on in the summer could possibly have their transfer fee attributed to last seasons spending?

It might make good sense for us to have any promotion based add on for Barnes paid to us in the next accounting period if that is possible, and buy early in the window and sell late, but if that is the case for everyone we could see a player drop in value from the start of the window to much less later on. I don't envy Burke's job at the moment, it is a really tricky time to be doing deals for players.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Forest are giving Stuart Pearce £10m in the summer so they are going to ignore the FFP rules.
It is possible for a 10 million budget to fall with FFP limits. Ours will be above that.
It's not a total £10m budget to pay for all transfers and wages for the year, he's suggesting they'll have £10m just to spend on buying new players. That sounds like ignoring FFP to me, and we won't be spending that much.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I don't think Bloom is that naive, as if he's going "I can't believe they still want more money at this club!"

While not complaining, it is very odd that we seemed determined to spend bazillions on the ground, the academy and everything else but not on the one place which will actually get us to the PL, which is the playing squad.

I really think Bloom's/the clubs strategy is one of youth development or certainly any money spent will be on younger players with a potential resale value, and supplemented by more experienced players on free transfers/loans. So the days of pandering to Gus and spending a couple of million on ready made players are gone.

This would see us around the play offs every season and as Burnley have proved, it's not impossible with the right coaching to buck the financial trend and get automatic promotion. Additionally, if with the new academy we develop a couple of gems (like Southampton have done) and sell on for £10million+ then suddenly the training ground is paid for.

We also have a manager now with the clear policy since the beginning of the season to push dev squad players into the first team at every opportunity, and I believe his track record with Barca at a youth development level was a real attraction for Tony.

All of this a long term business plan that will ensure the club is on a sound footing financially, and in a few years will be pushing for promotion and then consolidation in the Premier League. I think as fans we have to manage our own expectations that we won't be spending on transfers this summer but will still have a side more than capable of competing in the top half of the table next season.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
It's not a total £10m budget to pay for all transfers and wages for the year, he's suggesting they'll have £10m just to spend on buying new players. That sounds like ignoring FFP to me, and we won't be spending that much.

I did forget to add that was just for buying players. They could buy 3 quality players for that then add in the signing on fees and wages then the true figure could be £15m+. They are totally going to ignore the FFP and can't wait to see what action is taken against them. Sod all I expect :(

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really think Bloom's/the clubs strategy is one of youth development or certainly any money spent will be on younger players with a potential resale value, and supplemented by more experienced players on free transfers/loans. So the days of pandering to Gus and spending a couple of million on ready made players are gone.

This would see us around the play offs every season and as Burnley have proved, it's not impossible with the right coaching to buck the financial trend and get automatic promotion. Additionally, if with the new academy we develop a couple of gems (like Southampton have done) and sell on for £10million+ then suddenly the training ground is paid for.

We also have a manager now with the clear policy since the beginning of the season to push dev squad players into the first team at every opportunity, and I believe his track record with Barca at a youth development level was a real attraction for Tony.

All of this a long term business plan that will ensure the club is on a sound footing financially, and in a few years will be pushing for promotion and then consolidation in the Premier League. I think as fans we have to manage our own expectations that we won't be spending on transfers this summer but will still have a side more than capable of competing in the top half of the table next season.

I'm not sure why you're so convinced that we'll be able to "win anything with kids". Nowadays, clubs buy success. Successful clubs buy ready made players. Barely any sides rely on their academies for their best players. Even the likes of Saints sell them pretty early and still spend big amounts on older players.

It's not impossible, but we're definitely choosing to do it the incredibly, incredibly hard way. Could take 20-30 years at least, which is at odds with Barber constantly telling us about being Premier League Ready.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Yes I was thinking the same thing too. I mean take Palace the place is a shithole....but they did and do have the squad.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Barber constantly telling us about being Premier League Ready.

Overall the man is doing a cracking job. But this was his biggest mistake. It gets everyone salivating and expecting it NOW. The message should be/have been we are establishing ourselves as a top six championship club for the next few years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not impossible, but we're definitely choosing to do it the incredibly, incredibly hard way. Could take 20-30 years at least, which is at odds with Barber constantly telling us about being Premier League Ready.
this was his biggest mistake. It gets everyone salivating and expecting it NOW. The message should be/have been we are establishing ourselves as a top six championship club for the next few years.
It's not his fault the fans don't understand English. It was quite clear he was referring to the areas off the field. He never suggested our squad was capable (or not) of winning promotion.

westy

Jul 25, 2003

What Ive been thinking for a long time. We are doing everything right as a club off the pitch to bring in the cash, its just on the green stuff we seem reluctant to invest. Where is the money going? Sponsorship deals with Porsche, Amex and now Nike not to mention all the corporate money and the highest gates in the league by quite some way. We cant be blowing it on mega salaries for players if Millwall and Bournemouth can offer a player a higher wage than us (the defender from MK Dons). Where did the Bridcutt, Barnes and El-Abd money go? Obviously I understand running the ground costs a lot but I also remember dick knight saying back in the day the break even gate for the ground was 8,000. Even as costs go up the break even figure cant have doubled for example. To blame FFP for everything just doesn't add up for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think that figure given by DK was grossly underestimated as I am reasonably sure that I read before we opened The Amex that the break even attendance needed to be 14, 000 plus and there was many arguments/discussions on her e as to whether we would achieve that. Memory could be playing tricks on me but I dont think so.

IMHO the reason for the non investment in more or better players is down to TB or his accountant/financial advlser saying enough is enough for a time and the club needs to be self sufficient without money being ploughed in relentlessly.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If you build it, they will come.

We now have the stadium.
Next year we will have the training facilities (where footballers spend most of their working week).
We have a respected manager (by those in football, not necessarily on here)

Next year, expect a few changes to the team.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
A few days after Barnes signed for Burnley, a Clarets fan came on here and stated that the fee was 400k up front, 200k in appearance-related add-ons, and 150k in an add-on if Burnley got promoted at any point during Barnes' 3 1/2 year contract.

Obviously I have no idea if that post was based on factual information, but it seems plausible and would explain why some sources might report the fee as 750k (ie the maximum possible) and others might report the fee as 400k (ie the initial outlay).

If that poster was correct, it would mean the fee has so far amounted to at least 550k, and possibly more, depending on the structure of the appearance-related criteria.

Edit: Having posted the above, I decided to search for the actual post. Here it is:-

Excellent work. Thanks for clearing that up

As an aside, I am shocked Barnes is on 5k per week.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here