Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar says we were weaker after the transfer window

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
The rumour going around last night, yes I know, is that Oscar has been told no funds available during the summer if we do not get promoted he must rely on free transfers or selling players. I hope that is not a true reflection of our financial situation and just another wild rumour.

Your rumours are usually 100% accurate so I'm very worried about this. Sort it out Bloom.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Oscar is simply quoting a fact, you can't lose players like Bridcutt, Barnes and AEA and be as strong, however Bridcutt and Barnes wanted out and in AEA we had a better player on the books in Dunk. I think it was good business all round and in Stephens we have an attacking option in midfield and Ince and Andrews are like for like replacements for Bridcutt.

Don't forget we have started putting the younger players on longer terms contracts and are still building for the future.

I'm glad that Bloom won't be dictated too on players salaries and that the club want to trade within the rules of FFP. I'm sure it must frustrate any manager but it is business and you have to trade within your means.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't think he is digging at the club - he's just stating facts - Bridcutt, Barnes, and El-Abd WANTED to leave.

This. The club clearly didn't want Bridcutt to leave mid-season; they would've accepted his transfer request otherwise. Bridcutt forced the club's hand, unlike Buckley, who's shown much more professionalism and loyalty.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For me the salient point is

we are the only team in The Championship to be weaker after the window.

That's a veiled dig at David Burke no?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The rumour going around last night, yes I know, is that Oscar has been told no funds available during the summer if we do not get promoted he must rely on free transfers or selling players. I hope that is not a true reflection of our financial situation and just another wild rumour.

That smells completely false. Strange how £1m was available for Grabban, wages saved on ElAbd, Bridcutt and Barnes, followed by significant cash inflow from renewed s/t sales ...... and then no funds available Summer 2014. Someone down the Chinese whispers line is lying I suspect.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That smells completely false. Strange how £1m was available for Grabban, wages saved on ElAbd, Bridcutt and Barnes, followed by significant cash inflow from renewed s/t sales ...... and then no funds available Summer 2014. Someone down the Chinese whispers line is lying I suspect.
Does anybody really know exactly if this is true as according to Sean Dyche the only money they have spent is £450k, presumably the fee for Barnes.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Lots of reference here to who we lost in Jan.

I am trying to remember who came in during Jan.
- Obika : disgrace
- that young kid with terrible hair and an attitude problem who went on loan
- Lingaard : settling in. Done ok.
- Rodney : poor
- Stephens : good

Anyone else

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I saw the Barnes fee quoted as £400,000. Not sure if there is a clause that tops up due to Burnley's promotion? Anyone?

In the post match interview with Dyche when talking proudly about the team and achievement he said "we've spent something like £450,000 on transfers this season"

Not sure what over activity they've had or if he was meaning a net figure

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Grabban was the main target but turned out to be a red herring, I don’t think the club could have done much about what happened there, however we did well to get Lingard at very short notice which softened the blow. I wasn’t too convinced with getting someone so young in to help lead our top six challenge, but he has been a good signing after taking a bit of time to settle in.

Also not getting Conway was disappointing. That said both Grabban and Conway are out of the playoffs so it looks like they both made the wrong decisions.

I think Dale Stephens was more of a replacement for Crofts. He may have been on the list in some shape or form, but went to emergency status when Crofts got injured.

Oscar would have been disappointed with the transfer window but there is a certain amount of Poker playing with it, and TB doesn’t win every hand he is dealt.

It has been a tough season for him and we were probably the hardest job in the Championship when he took over. It would have been easy for any manager to start pointing fingers but he just got on with it without complaints, and even when you could sense his frustration at times, he never cracked.

The only people Oscar will share his concerns and player assessments with are TB and Burke, and I am sure he is no shrinking violet behind the scenes.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That said both Grabban and Conway are out of the playoffs so it looks like they both made the wrong decisions.

Don't disagree at all with what you say but that one line sums up the problem for anyone trying to spend sensibly. I'm glad that's the course Bloom has taken for the sake of the club, but Grabban, and Conway in particular, may not think they've made the wrong decision when they look at their bank balance.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Don't disagree at all with what you say but that one line sums up the problem for anyone trying to spend sensibly. I'm glad that's the course Bloom has taken for the sake of the club, but Grabban, and Conway in particular, may not think they've made the wrong decision when they look at their bank balance.

True financially, and Grabban will probably be bought by a Prem club in the summer.

As far as our club is concerned we will try to do everything right, but as in the real world not everything goes to plan.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In the post match interview with Dyche when talking proudly about the team and achievement he said "we've spent something like £450,000 on transfers this season"

Not sure what over activity they've had or if he was meaning a net figure

It was £450K since he became manager in Dec 2012 and the only transfer fee that he's paid is for Barnes.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Those that mention the disappointment of not getting Grabban, I suggest (not least because it is a great book) they try and read 'Family: Life, Death and Football: A Year on the Frontline with a Proper Club'. The bloke comes across as a complete and utter twunt.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
For me the salient point is

we are the only team in The Championship to be weaker after the window

That's a veiled dig at David Burke no?

That's how it came across to me and is the 2nd time he has said it now, maybe just maybe he is now making he initial moves for a bigger budget ..... Also heard we need to sell before we pay any money so goodbye to our saleable assets

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I don't think he'll walk away; he's basically still an unknown quantity and even the clubs that go down from the PL won't hire someone with no track record. After he storms us to the Championship title next season, *then * we might have to worry a bit.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Interesting discussion. It is difficult to tell if he's have a dig at Burke or not since what he is saying is an obvious fact that nobody can question, so I guess you'd have to know OG much better than most of us do in order to be able to properly interpret what he said.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It's in Barber's best interests for us to be promoted too though.

We had the £1.1m offer for Grabban accepted, we bid a similar amount for Clayton which was turned down by Huddersfield.

Money was available but the club won't pay silly wages and that's fine by me.

The last line of this statement(silly wages and the Premier go hand in hand) in some way does not make sense with the opening line,or did you mean Barber himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here