Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar Garcia back to Tel Aviv

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Its amazing - some people delude themselves into thinking that just because some spanish player coming into management after playing for Barcelona is going to walk in with 15 unknown football gods that were hanging around in the B team and just itching to join us and propel us into the champions league. They continue to delude themselves for months even after some of the worst football for years and think its just a matter of time before OG weaves his magic.

When it all goes tits up they start saying how rubbish the manager was whilst setting themselves up for another fall because the next manager they MUST have must be ok because he is coach of another team that just won the champions league so he must have flair and contacts to bring with him despite him only being second fiddle.

Erm...isn't that what being a footy supporter is....... Having hope ?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Then they have a much better chance of making the group stages then, dont they. Im sure he would much rather be playing Real Madrid away on a Tuesday night than Rotherham away on a Tuesday night.

Or he could be away at Total Network Solutions [TNS] of the Welsh Premier who qualify for CL pretty much every year and are always out of it by the end of August.

Just being lazy; who took over OG when he left to come to us and what kind of season did he have in Tel Aviv. Agree with the rest of you, unambitious and dull, somewhat like his style of football.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Or he could be away at Total Network Solutions [TNS] of the Welsh Premier who qualify for CL pretty much every year and are always out of it by the end of August.

Just being lazy; who took over OG when he left to come to us and what kind of season did he have in Tel Aviv. Agree with the rest of you, unambitious and dull, somewhat like his style of football.

Sadly, having stood by him for most of the season I have to agree with you.....he's gone back to his Comfort Zone !

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Allegedly he had talks with Celtic over the weekend.

Looks like no one wants that dead end number

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
In the link given at the top of the page - Brighton isnt even mentioned in the article !!

Good luck to him, strongly suspect he just couldnt settle in the UK.

But he left there originally because he couldn't settle in Israel!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Worse than Poyet? You are having a laugh.

Two totally different type of men decided they didn't want to be Albion manager, the way they left was the difference.

Not if he did a behind-the-scenes deal while he was still our manager. All that rubbish about Poyet's heart not being in it for the second leg of the play-off semi... OG had possibly already secretly committed himself to another club before we'd even reached the play-offs (he told Bloom he was going to leave several weeks before the end of the season, remember).

One question I haven't really come across on NSC - what would OG have done had we won the play-offs and got promoted to the Premier League? He'd already made up his mind to go - would he still have ended up at Maccabi?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Ruben Martinez just tweeted he's back in the UK. So, not gone with OG, still employed by BAHA? He was probably OG's head of enthusiasm and looking involved.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
Hi guys. An Israeli Maccabi supporter here.
I've read all of your comments and wanted to clarify some things and maybe give you a new perspective.

1. During the year, Oscar was quoted in the British media talking about the missles in Tel Aviv.
This quotations were small details of his stories about life in Israel, but the media decided to put it as a headline - because it sells better.
Oscar loves Tel Aviv and the life in Israel. He already stated in an interview that after he finishes his career as a manager, if he doesn't go back to Barcelona, he'd like to live in Tel Aviv.

Tel Aviv is a very safe city, don't get deceived by the media.

2. Oscar left Maccabi in the first place because of personal issues with his ex-wife and his daughters. Not because he didn't settle in Israel, and not because he wanted to move to a bigger league.
These issues are solved now.

3. His decision to go back to Maccabi does not show a lack of ambition. He didn't have any offer from the Premier League, and Celtic didn't want him either.
Maccabi was his best offer.

Keep in mind that he didn't leave Brighton to go to Maccabi. When he left, Maccabi still had a very successful manager that had a contract for another year.
This manager received an offer from Basel a week ago and decided to leave. Then and only then Maccabi approached Oscar for the first time.

4. You guys underestimate Maccabi.
It's true that the Championship is a much, much better league than the Israeli one. Nothing to compare here.
Yet, Maccabi Tel Aviv offers Oscar different opportunities.
First, the budget is bigger. That's one of the reasons that Maccabi, as a team, is stronger and better than Brighton.
Second, Maccabi participates in Europe, something that Brighton will not do in the near future.
Last year Maccabi reached the knock out stage of the Europa League after missing the qualification for the CL group stage.
This year, with an improved UEFA clubs ranking, the club has a better chance of qualifying to the CL. The group stage of the EL at least should be a sure thing.

Playing and managing in that competition offers big opportunities.
Our last manager, Paulo Sousa, who won the league with Maccabi and had a succesful European campaign, signed this summer with FC Basel like I mentioned before. FC Basel is a very big club in European terms.

Last, and not less important:
The fans of Maccabi treat Oscar like a God. He gets huge ammounts of love there.

The decision to go back to Maccabi isn't strange at all, it's even quite natural.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I've read all of your comments and wanted to clarify some things and maybe give you a new perspective.

1. During the year, Oscar was quoted in the British media talking about the missles in Tel Aviv.
This quotations were small details of his stories about life in Israel, but the media decided to put it as a headline - because it sells better.
Oscar loves Tel Aviv and the life in Israel. He already stated in an interview that after he finishes his career as a manager, if he doesn't go back to Barcelona, he'd like to live in Tel Aviv.

2. Oscar left Maccabi in the first place because of personal issues with his ex-wife and his daughters. Not because he didn't settle in Israel, and not because he wanted to move to a bigger league.

3. His decision to go back to Maccabi does not show a lack of ambition. He didn't have any offer from the Premier League, and Celtic didn't want him either.

Keep in mind that he didn't leave Brighton to go to Maccabi. When he left, Maccabi still had a very successful manager that had a contract for another year.
This manager received an offer from Basel a week ago and decided to leave. Then and only then Maccabi approached Oscar for the first time.

It's true that the Championship is a much, much better league than the Israeli one. Nothing to compare here.
First, the budget is bigger. That's one of the reasons that Maccabi, as a team, is stronger and better than Brighton.
Second, Maccabi participates in Europe, something that Brighton will not do in the near future.
Last year Maccabi reached the knock out stage of the Europa League after missing the qualification for the CL group stage.
This year, with an improved UEFA clubs ranking, the club has a better chance of qualifying to the CL. The group stage of the EL at least should be a sure thing.

Our last manager, Paulo Sousa, who won the league with Maccabi and had a succesful European campaign, signed this summer with FC Basel like I mentioned before. FC Basel is a very big club in European terms.

The fans of Maccabi treat Oscar like a God. He gets huge ammounts of love there.

The decision to go back to Maccabi isn't strange at all, it's even quite natural.

I just hope he doesn't bore you to tears like he did us.............with his interviews AND his style of play.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Good read and to any neutral Oscar's decision is not going to look weird at all. It's only that we Brighton fans think we are bigger and better than we actually are ( a third tier club historically with the infrastructure to possibly get to the Premier League one day, maybe) not a Premier League club in waiting just yet. :smile:

Interestingly I heard a rumour that Oscar left Albion mainly because his wife HATED it here. Seems his wife may have a massive influence on where he works....

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Doesn't it just. Seems more like crawling back into his comfort zone, than dealing with unfinished business.

This. I had previous described him as a coward for not having the confidence to follow through with a project that although difficult, he had done really well with - GP fallout, in championship, with our budget and making playoffs = impressive performance.

Now I am absolutely sure that the man is a coward who hasn't got the balls for a "difficult" job. Back to a nice safe job (albeit in an unsafe area!) where he doesn't need to worry about performing in the most competitive league in the world and actually proving himself.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
An interesting post from the Maccabi supporter, and I do hope his work for the Tel Aviv Tourist Board does not go unnoticed.

From my perspective, Oscar knew he was returning to Maccabi weeks ago, and good luck to him.

MTAMTA

Jun 3, 2014
I just hope he doesn't bore you to tears like he did us.............with his interviews AND his style of play.

Maccabi under Oscar was one of the most attacking and fascinating teams we had.
78 goals in 36 matches ( 41 goals in 30 matches in the previous season).

Did you ever consider that Brighton was so defensive and boring last season because your team is just not good enough to play attractive football and have success?

This. I had previous described him as a coward for not having the confidence to follow through with a project that although difficult, he had done really well with - GP fallout, in championship, with our budget and making playoffs = impressive performance.

Now I am absolutely sure that the man is a coward who hasn't got the balls for a "difficult" job. Back to a nice safe job (albeit in an unsafe area!) where he doesn't need to worry about performing in the most competitive league in the world and actually proving himself.

Tel Aviv is NOT an unsafe area. Quit believing all the bullshit you hear in the media. The rest of the things you said aren't true either.
I invite you to read my last post.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Did you ever consider that Brighton was so defensive and boring last season because your team is just not good enough to play attractive football and have success?

Options:

1) Palace troll
2) Enrest
3) Rather precious MTA fan

I'm voting for 1)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here