Oscar Garcia back to Tel Aviv

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Sorry, late to this party but what the raging paradiddle is that all about?

What next? Van Gaal out, Moyes in?

My gast is entirely flabbered. I guess sometimes a return to familiar surroundings doesn't feel like a backward step... it just entirely resembles one.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It makes you wonder what Tony saw in him at the interview?

I still reckon he was a panic appointment after the Poyet debacle.

How very unlike the way that this summer is turning out, obviously.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It makes you wonder what Tony saw in him at the interview?

It does. TB's comments after his departure about him being difficult to communicate with are somewhat mystifying - either OG pulled a blinder of an interview before retreating back into his shell after securing the post, or TB decided to take a punt in spite of any reservations he might have had about OG's character.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Very much a left field move by Oscar. I had a 'meh' kind of feeling when I heard he had left anyway. Nothing like the disappointment I felt when Gus's departure came to such a messy end. Good luck to him, but not really too fussed about him anymore.

Given the manner of his departure, asking to be released from his contract, makes me think he could well have been 'sounded out' by Tel Aviv sometime before the seasons end anyway.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
With his Barçalona background and a first successful year in management I can see why TB would offer him a 3 year contract. He wanted him to build on Poyets successful nearly 4 years stint. He spent one season with us after one year at Maccabi. Maybe he is the problem rather than anyone at Brighton. Just a thought.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
:smile:
It does. TB's comments after his departure about him being difficult to communicate with are somewhat mystifying - either OG pulled a blinder of an interview before retreating back into his shell after securing the post, or TB decided to take a punt in spite of any reservations he might have had about OG's character.

To be fair to TB, the first interview I saw, Oscar said the we would play fast attacking football that would put fear in to opposition, or words to that affect. I remember feeling pretty excited about his appointment.

I don't remember many games like that last season. I am not sure Oscar is an out and out liar, maybe he just didn't realise what a bloody difficult division this is, and adapted his style to what he thought was would be the best way to get results. To be fair he did well, top six is not yo be sniffed at.

Maybe in Tel aviv with the lack of opposition he can have the team play the way he wants and still win, or he is just a bottle job.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Good luck to Oscar and thanks once again for his time here.

Can't judge his personnal motives for taking this role.

Actually prefer it that he's gone somewhere overseas rather than having something lined up here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The thing about this move is that he himself said he left for personal reasons because it is a dangerous place to live and work. Ergo, top players will never go there to play, ergo this is a good as it gets for MTA.

Ok, say he wins the Israeli League again? Doing it as rookie manager was an achievement, doing it in your third year will be expected and anything less is a failure.

The bottom line is this is bad for his career. I honestly thought he was a better manager than this.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
He's obviously doing it for the fans. I seem to remember that was his only intention, to give joy and spectacularity to the supporters. I mean who can forget 2 or 3 performances of note in a season and not be grateful.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The thing about this move is that he himself said he left for personal reasons because it is a dangerous place to live and work. Ergo, top players will never go there to play, ergo this is a good as it gets for MTA.

Ok, say he wins the Israeli League again? Doing it as rookie manager was an achievement, doing it in your third year will be expected and anything less is a failure.

The bottom line is this is bad for his career. I honestly thought he was a better manager than this.

All of this.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its amazing - some people delude themselves into thinking that just because some spanish player coming into management after playing for Barcelona is going to walk in with 15 unknown football gods that were hanging around in the B team and just itching to join us and propel us into the champions league. They continue to delude themselves for months even after some of the worst football for years and think its just a matter of time before OG weaves his magic.

When it all goes tits up they start saying how rubbish the manager was whilst setting themselves up for another fall because the next manager they MUST have must be ok because he is coach of another team that just won the champions league so he must have flair and contacts to bring with him despite him only being second fiddle.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Back to the Israeli monkey tennis league, how very average, how very dull, how very Oscar.

One of the blandest most unimaginative and dull managers we have ever had.

We really need to get the right man in this time, someone with the bottle to last the whole friggin season including the play offs! Someone capable of more than one expression on his face and giving us something exciting to watch for 90 mins. Must be getting close to an appointment now surely.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Bit weird!

Pickles

May 5, 2014

I reckon it was the latter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports