Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar doing it his way

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Why is it so hard to understand why Barnes left?

I don't know
is it because we wanted the money?
how much have we wasted on replacement loans?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Why is it so hard to understand why Barnes was sold on??

Because

1: The money we got for him was peanuts if he would have fired or contributed to a few goals say against Blackpool, Huddersfield..... we know he can do it..... to the promised land.
2: He has helped and he has Burnley achieve the promised land for peanuts.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
It's not. Why was it so hard for the club to understand that selling Barnes left us seriously short of proven striking options at this level?

I'm guessing it had something to do with a substancial amount of money that we wouldn't have got if he were to leave for free in the summer.

There was no guarantee that if he had stayed and not been sold we would be any better off anyhow.

That would be my guess

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Because

1: The money we got for him was peanuts if he would have fired or contributed to a few goals say against Blackpool, Huddersfield..... we know he can do it..... to the promised land.
2: He has helped and he has Burnley achieve the promised land for peanuts.

Point 2 is amusing. Do you think Burnley would have struggled without him?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
It's not. Why was it so hard for the club to understand that selling Barnes left us seriously short of proven striking options at this level?

This isn't a reason as to why he left, that's an implication of him leaving.

At the time, we need to sell Barnes because he was out of contract and his requirements were out of our budget (apparently). Because of this, we got in two replacements, in the form of Lingard and Rodriquez. Obika was also there, but he was replacing Lita as our sub (at the time CMS was still injured). Unfortunately for us, his replacements have failed. If Rod had an actual impact, I'm sure we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm guessing it had something to do with a substancial amount of money that we wouldn't have got if he were to leave for free in the summer.

There was no guarantee that if he had stayed and not been sold we would be any better off anyhow.

That would be my guess

Barnes is Sean Dyche's only cash signing in 18 months in charge. And got an instant return on his money. Guess he knows a good player when he sees one. Wouldn't have taken much to keep him here. Same as all the rest of the talent being allowed to drift away from the club to play in the Premier League. Still, as long as the Albion accountants are happy, eh?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Point 2 is amusing. Do you think Burnley would have struggled without him?

No but he has helped them and was a key player in their victory over a Wigan Ath side that beat us in our own back yard. He has more than repaid the fee they paid for him, people never understood it was his all round play that appealed to the likes of Gus and Oscar and that is what Dyche has seen in him. I do not believe it was Oscars choice to sell him though.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Barnes is Sean Dyche's only cash signing in 22 months in charge. Guess he knows a good player when he sees one. Wouldn't have taken much to keep him here. same as all the rest of the talent being allowed to drift away from the club to play in the Premier League. Still, as long as the accountants are happy, eh?

Your love in with Barnes is unhealthy....:lolol:

I think there's a lot to be said for good business sense.

Its impossible to say whether things would have panned out differently had he stayed. I personally think with the way Oscar likes to pick his teams, Barnes wouldn't have got a game all the time Ulloa was fit.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
There was an article on BBC the other day saying the Barnes fee was £400k, but the figure on here is always quoted as £700k. Which was it? If we cashed in for £400k without getting a replacement in is a bit cheap.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Your love in with Barnes is unhealthy....:lolol:

I think there's a lot to be said for good business sense.

Its impossible to say whether things would have panned out differently had he stayed. I personally think with the way Oscar likes to pick his teams, Barnes wouldn't have got a game all the time Ulloa was fit.

Ulloa NEVER looks fit. He huffs and puffs away like an unfit thing. He's a big bloke, but he's out of shape. And the chances that have gone begging at the North Stand goal in the past few games, Barnes would have tucked away some of them, guaranteed. Only genuine goal poacher (previously) at the club. Which leaves Hoskins as next best bet. CMS is CMS and will be forever counting on through balls that just don't come. Or they actually hit him on the back of the head like one did v Blackpool.

Last edited:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6303251 said:
There was an article on BBC the other day saying the Barnes fee was £400k, but the figure on here is always quoted as £700k. Which was it? If we cashed in for £400k without getting a replacement in is a bit cheap.

Still 400k more than we would have got for him 3 months later............... Bought for 60k sold for say 400k (which is the minimum figure banded about). That's a decent ROI.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Still 400k more than we would have got for him 3 months later............... Bought for 60k sold for say 400k (which is the minimum figure banded about). That's a decent ROI.

Yes I get that, but there is more to managing transfers than just wheeling and dealing. The move left us in a weak position that ultimately will end up costing us.

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6303251 said:

I too always thought it was £700k but Sean Dyche in an interview that was on the Football League Show says that they've "only spent £450k in the last 18 months". I know that Barnes' contract was up and the lure of possible top flight football was too good to turn down; yet just £450k for who was, in my opinion, a very good striker is very disappointing.

I have no idea how to make the video start at the right time, but from 11 minutes you can hear Dyche say it himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0424ggw/The_Football_League_Show_2013_2014_21_04_2014/

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

You missing the big picture, we can afford or should take that gamble of what your saying say £340k against promotion so short sighted and a bad judgement by the board. so what if he went for nothing at the end of the season he would have contributed to goals and we would be safely in the play offs now.....

That is what I think anyway

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Ulloa NEVER looks fit. He huffs and puffs away like an unfit thing. And the chances that have gone begging at the North Stand goal in the past few games, Barnes would have tucked away some of them, guaranteed. Only genuine goal poacher (previously) at the club. Which leaves Hoskins as next best bet. CMS is CMS and will be forever counting on through balls that just don't come. Or they actually hit him on the back of the head like one did v Blackpool.

:D

Guaranteed???? The knowledge you possess of the complete unknown is enlightening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here