Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar doing it his way

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Perhaps Barnes was fed up with so many fans constantly moaning at him and needed a change?

His handbag didn't like it, that's for sure...

Do you really think a few posts on NSC would make a player leave? Personally, I think it's the money + the chance of PL football...

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
A replacement for Barnes was all but guaranteed, everything was agreed with club and agent but the player himself decided to go elsewhere (not that he's played much at the other place)

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
You missing the big picture, we can afford or should take that gamble of what your saying say £340k against promotion so short sighted and a bad judgement by the board. so what if he went for nothing at the end of the season he would have contributed to goals and we would be safely in the play offs now.....

That is what I think anyway

I don't think i'm missing anything..........

Your points are purely specualtive

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;6303268 said:
Yes I get that, but there is more to managing transfers than just wheeling and dealing. The move left us in a weak position that ultimately will end up costing us.

But your argument is flawed completely. You have no idea as to whether it cost us or not......just pure speculation.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
:D

Guaranteed???? The knowledge you possess of the complete unknown is enlightening

It's also worth pointing out that Barnes would not have played as a first choice striker. He would have been forced out wide because Ulloa would have been fit. From that position he probably would have got another five Brighton goals this season. The players we were able to get instead (ROD + Lingard) had the potential to match or better that, so the club let the out of contract (and unhappy???) player leave. The right decision at the time, but his replacements have failed. So in hindsight, he shouldn't have gone, but how an earth could you predict that? That's just how it goes sometimes.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A replacement for Barnes was all but guaranteed, everything was agreed with club and agent but the player himself decided to go elsewhere (not that he's played much at the other place)

Which is why it was a bad choice by our board, you don't let someone go without the cover in first and Burnley would have waited, after all it was not deadline day even.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Which is why I said it was worth taking the "gamble"......

Jebus give me strength, so you dont think it worth the gamble.... possible promotion or £340k in the bank ?

Jebus? :lolol:

No I dont think it was worth a gamble. I think the money we got for him, whether it was 400k, 700k, add ons, premier league bonuses if applicable was good business. That's my view.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It's also worth pointing out that Barnes would not have played as a first choice striker. He would have been forced out wide because Ulloa would have been fit. From that position he probably would have got another five Brighton goals this season. The players we were able to get instead (ROD + Lingard) had the potential to match or better that, so the club let the out of contract (and unhappy???) player leave. The right decision at the time, but his replacements have failed. So in hindsight, he shouldn't have gone, but how an earth could you predict that? That's just how it goes sometimes.

you would not have had to predict it ......if they had been money savvy then anything they might have lost with him walking in the Summer would have been compensated by not having to bring in loan players.
Unhappy you say ,I would be unhappy if I were offered the same or less than I was already earning.
we lost a loyal, utility player who scored goals and if he had scored just a few in the time he has been gone we would be in an assailable position now, keeping an eye on who we would be playing in the play-offs along with Barnes who might just be very glad he was offered a few quid more and relishing having a go at getting into the premiership...........oh no wait a minute he is already there!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Luke, nothing can be predicted with any accuracy, Which is why the arguments for Barnes staying and getting us into the prem are completely flawed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here