Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar doing it his way

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Actually, having to tweak the system could be a blessing in disguise if CMS is to come back. The 'square peg in a round hole' approach to him under Poyet never truly worked. The system hasn't really changed under OG, so it is hard to see it working with CMS. A system utilising two strikers playing off each other may work better.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Bit harsh judging CMS before he has even played under Oscar. For all we know the slightly different style of play could benefit him - who knows.

Would like to see him given a try, and if that doesnt work out - then maybe look at cashing in.......and then watching him grab 30 a season with another club.

Do you think the system has changed that much?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I agree there may well be some movement in the transfer window. By then Oscar should know which players he sees as part of his plans and those he could look to move on for a fee. Being prudent with money means selling players to free up enough transfer money / wages to make the sort of signings we need.

A big part of our success last season was a very tight defence and not leaking many goals. I do think our back four miss the calming presence of Bridcutt in front of them. However the clock is ticking on Greer but then most of our back four are also well into their 30s, so we do need to think about the future. Hopefully Dunk will benefit from his loan period.

I'm starting to see Barnes as a long term bench warmer or even potential fall guy in the transfer window. But I'm not sure I'd want to see both of Buckley / Lua Lua leave. I know they can blow hot or very cold but we don't have riches in that department and similar quality replacements would cost serious money. I think they play better with Ulloa in the team to convert the chances they create and Buckley seemed to play well with CMS so I would like to see us try an Ulloa / CMS front two with either KLL or Buckley out wide and the other to come off the bench.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sadly I think CMS will come back and continue running about all over the pitch like a superannuated Alex Revell. For a front man, his positional sense is shocking.

I absolutely love CMS' enthusiasm, running and the panic he causes for opposition defenders, but his finishing is atrocious. That said, I really cannot wait for him to team up with Leo, it just might become another Mellor and Ward.

On the other hand, he may continue to be gash? Time will tell.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Is it telling that Barnes hasn't signed a contract extension yet? ??? (unless he has and I haven't kept up to date!) :blush:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is it telling that Barnes hasn't signed a contract extension yet? ??? (unless he has and I haven't kept up to date!) :blush:

If he has, it hasn't been announced.

It might be telling. It might mean he wants away, it might mean the club aren't that keen to keep him, but I would probably say it's more likely just Oscar taking his time to get to know everyone and all that they offer, not just whether they are good in one generic position. I think we're seeing he isn't the lone striker, but maybe he will offer something as a second striker off ulloa, which we have to wait to see. Maybe he'll get a chance back in midfield or in some other system that I'm not smart enough to suggest right now that Oscar may come up with at some point.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Oscar will make some suggestions and decisions around Christmas time, by which time he will have had 5 months to assess the players he has and seen what they can or cannot do.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If he has, it hasn't been announced.

It might be telling. It might mean he wants away, it might mean the club aren't that keen to keep him, but I would probably say it's more likely just Oscar taking his time to get to know everyone and all that they offer, not just whether they are good in one generic position. I think we're seeing he isn't the lone striker, but maybe he will offer something as a second striker off ulloa, which we have to wait to see. Maybe he'll get a chance back in midfield or in some other system that I'm not smart enough to suggest right now that Oscar may come up with at some point.

I'm friendly with someone at Burnley, and they offered him a MASSIVE increase in wedge over what the Albion are paying him when they tried to sign him in the summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you think the system has changed that much?
I see CMS filling the NEW position occasionally occupied by Buckley.

Where CMS was marooned in Ulloa's position with 3 (three) holding midfielders a long long way behind him.
He'll be sniffing around Ulloa.

The most attacking option being:-

.....Bridcutt..Andrews.....
...Buckley..CMS..LuaLua..
............Ulloa..............

But with at least 4 of those, except say Bridcutt and Ulloa, being interchangeable with Orlandi, Crofts, Ince, SD, and the one I always forget.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The last time I watched Macca play was away at Wolves he scored and had a decent game, last season he was on the way to 20 goals no doubt about it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think that Albion haven't had a penalty now since CMS was injured in March (the 4-1 match where Leo got a hat trick and where he came on as sub and looked v.lively) which perhaps illustrates one type of play that we're missing upfront.

Thats nearly 20+ matches.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Oscar will make some suggestions and decisions around Christmas time, by which time he will have had 5 months to assess the players he has and seen what they can or cannot do.

No shit Sherlock !

What I was actually saying is that Oscar wont panic and rush out to sign a loan player now, which is what most on here want, but wait until the January window opens and bring one or some in then.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
People slag CMS off but forgot during our first two seasons despite being in and out of form he scored enough goals for a striker and with Ulloa we have a decent strike force unfortunately both are injured and Barnes hasn't stepped up to fill the hole (and I'm a Barnes lover not a hater but he has been dissapointing IMO).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
People slag CMS off but forgot during our first two seasons despite being in and out of form he scored enough goals for a striker and with Ulloa we have a decent strike force unfortunately both are injured and Barnes hasn't stepped up to fill the hole (and I'm a Barnes lover not a hater but he has been dissapointing IMO).
For me the problem isn't with Barnes, per se, more to do with the fact we are attempting to be more attacking.
2 wingers, moving the ball forward 10 times quicker etc.

All of a sudden our strike force (what's left of it) is offered up more chances, making it easier to fail, or worst still for Barnes, and probably CMS in time, 'Ulloa would have scored that'.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I understand we did have a decent striker lined up who could have played yesterday, but Oscar turned down the move as the player didn't quite fit what he wanted.

I find that quite heartening, and I was a right moaning minnie after the game yesterday.

He must have been shit if we got Obika in then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here