Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ok NSC what would you do? Diclofenec and Co-codimal Advice

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I went for a lumbar puncture about 5 years ago, I think? Anyway the doctor cocked up and managed to pierce a nerve, I couldn't believe the pain. To cut a long story short i was prescribed 100 ml Co-Codomol and one Diclofenac 3 times a day which was eventually increased to 300 ml and one Diclofenac three times a day. I took these for a period of three months before the quantities were gradually reduced again. The pain was gone, life was bearable again and no side effects have since occurred. So hope that gives you some help.

my last time in hospital I had a choice of staying in and having one under general or having one at the side of the bed there and then.
I took the second option the doctor had to do it twice because of scaring from a Op I had years ago, to say it was painful is an understatement, she was even more surprised when I went to the toilet straight afterwards.
my pain threshold has always been high but will admit that ****ing hurt

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I spent two days in hospital (Mon-Weds) after having some sort of seizure (it was pretty bad like the lorry hitting the back of your head) it came completely out of the blue 3 small ones then a biggy.
CT scan.
Ex-ray
two MRI scans
and an extremely painful lumber puncture...and my pain threshold in pretty high
I came out on Wednesday still with a slight headache and nothing showing on any of the tests, they have taken me off Diclofenec and put me on Co-codimal which might have been OK while you are laying in hospital but when you get out to a normal life they are like taking Smarties, I found it so bad today that I am having to write this with on hand (left).
now I have the choice of continuing to take the Co-codimal or reverting to the Diclofenec, the only problem is my Doctor will I think stop prescribing me the latter as he did not want to prescribe them in the first place.
so the question is do I stay pain free and keep taking the Diclofenec and chance him throwing me off his list
or do I continue with the Smarties, Morphine, and any of the others that do not work,walk round like a bloody zombie and still in pain.

I have always stated to my GP that I know the bad side of the drug but would rather walk around painless and drop dead after 5 years that go the other way and live in pain, + the fact that they did not find any bleeds in my brain so it would not have been caused by Diclofenec.
any sensible input would be gladly recieved
my pain at this moment is if on a 1/10 scale ....8/9[/

If you are not sure or even happy about your doctors diagnosis, you have choices.
My wife went through the NHS Choices with her problems because she was not getting anywhere with one hospital.
Cut along story short, she ended up at the Tunbridge Wells Hospital Trust with better results.

http://www.nhs.uk/Pages/HomePage.aspx

OK
so I have decided to go back on Diclofenac(from over the counter) after a year of excruciating pain, I had the Angiogram (s) and they found nothing untoward other that whats normal for my age, and when I asked the doctor about this suddenly its my kidneys that are wrong (this is the first I have heard about this) + he looked very sheepish and I am not saying that I disbelieve him but why has this never been mentioned before.
I am 68 for gods sake do I really care if its going to do for me in the next 5 years, theres more chance of being run over by a bus.
no more co-codomol
no more constipation
no more waterworks problems
no more restless nights
no more feeling absolutely knackered
no more headaches
and saving the NHS money
got to be a win,win situation then.
what do you think?

As has been stated it's whatever works best for you. If it gives you some confidence I tried every anti-inflammatory and pain killing combo going (including gold injections in my arse!) and the only one that worked for me was straight diclofenac. One in the morning and one slow release at night. It's quite a high daily dose but I've been taking that every day for nearly 20 years with no side effects. I don't expect to live to be 102 but it gives me quality of life now so all I can say is go for whatever suits your body and your lifestyle. Best of luck.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
As has been stated it's whatever works best for you. If it gives you some confidence I tried every anti-inflammatory and pain killing combo going (including gold injections in my arse!) and the only one that worked for me was straight diclofenac. One in the morning and one slow release at night. It's quite a high daily dose but I've been taking that every day for nearly 20 years with no side effects. I don't expect to live to be 102 but it gives me quality of life now so all I can say is go for whatever suits your body and your lifestyle. Best of luck.

thanks for that, it gives me great confidence ...............I have been on one or another anti-inflammatory since my back OP in the early 90's and they have all dropped away because NICE or some other body has said they are dirty drugs until there were none left bar two.
thanks again for that

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I had similar pounding pain in my head for a week last year and after initial diagnosis (flu) proved imbecilic I got a second opinion and was prescribed naproxen and co-codamine. The doc told me to take one naproxen three times a day and only take the c-codamol if necessary. I took one naproxen pill and the pain went. Not completely but after 48 hours it was gone. over the following week I slowly got my energy back.

My advice would be to try one of the diclofenec pills as this is in the same class as naproxen apparently and see what happens. If you need to continue taking it i'd go to the doc and ask if you could try naproxen. I will add of course that your incident is clearly worse than mine. I didn't suffer a seizure but i felt like that bloke in Scanners who's head explodes. It was very unpleasant and very frightening.

I have rheumatoid arthritis in my ankle. My Doctor changed me over to Naproxen from Diclofenec and they are both more effective and appear to have none of the side effects. I have used them for several years now without issues...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have rheumatoid arthritis in my ankle. My Doctor changed me over to Naproxen from Diclofenec and they are both more effective and appear to have none of the side effects. I have used them for several years now without issues...

I do understand that Naproxen is nowhere near as dirty as Diclofenac but until Tuesday when I see the new doctor,I am on Diclofenac from over the counter, I was on Naproxen for a short while but the heart consultant took me off them with absolutely no consultation with my Doctor who refused to speak to him about this and up to now I have had no proof that my heart is dodgy other than wear and tear over 68 years.
its supposed to be stopping me dying early from heart attack
meanwhile I sit around with no exercise and gaining weight with constipation more bloody drugs and taking a habit forming drug just to suit their purposes.
God I could go on for ages.
changing doctors was a decision I did not take lightly

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do understand that Naproxen is nowhere near as dirty as Diclofenac but until Tuesday when I see the new doctor,I am on Diclofenac from over the counter, I was on Naproxen for a short while but the heart consultant took me off them with absolutely no consultation with my Doctor who refused to speak to him about this and up to now I have had no proof that my heart is dodgy other than wear and tear over 68 years.
its supposed to be stopping me dying early from heart attack
meanwhile I sit around with no exercise and gaining weight with constipation more bloody drugs and taking a habit forming drug just to suit their purposes.
God I could go on for ages.
changing doctors was a decision I did not take lightly

Sounds very similar to my experience too. Quality of life being less important to them than you or your relatives possibly suing them. Why you cannot just sign an indemnity is beyond me. I had the same heart excuse used on me.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
A small tip for anyone needing drugs prescribed.
Research and find what the best versions of the drugs you require are. Call the doctors and ask them to squeeze you in asap. On hearing the oft dreaded words "I only have appointments with the locum that day" accept the appointment.
The locum is not a GP fundholder and has no budget responsibility. There are many doctors operating as locum GPs because they can avoid all the political nonsense and prescribe whatever drugs they see fit. Get one of these and your prayers may be answered. For a few months anyway.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
just an update
seen the new doctor (lady) and she has agreed to let me have Naproxen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here