Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ok NSC what would you do? Diclofenec and Co-codimal Advice

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As some have alluded to above these are different drugs delivering different reliefs. Also agree that it is dangerous to offer or accept advise in such a location as this :). Please do re-consult your doc and provide him/her with your concerns and experience of both drugs.

Co-Codimal is a pain killer
Diclofenec is an anti inflammatory.

Hope you get back on an even keel soon.

Very sensible post, though I would say that if you are in intense pain as described, co-codamol is a bit of a non-event.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Interesting as I have this possible prognosis hanging over me at the moment, I was under Hurstwood Park, but now have had a second opinion from the Royal Free in London. The pain is immense and cannot be relieved.......

I am on Sumatripten (?sp), if that helps........

It's like a lot of conditions, what works for one does not work for another. If it wants to come on bad though it will. It can be horrendous to be honest. Just don't let it beat you. Good luck with the diagnosis though

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I have always stated to my GP that I know the bad side of the drug but would rather walk around painless and drop dead after 5 years that go the other way and live in pain.

Couldn't agree with you more. Sounds like you know your body and pain. From my own personal experience it is very important not to be in pain for any extended period. Your body will be flooded with stress hormones, and inevitably you will shag out your nervous system, risking PTSD etc.

However, there are LOTS of alternatives (ranging from acupuncture to the new 'pain modifiers'). Don't live in pain. Don't take no for an answer. Don't take it out personally on your doc (they are only human). Seek a second opinion if necessary.

Good luck.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
As mentioned above, some pain killer and anti inflammatories raise blood pressure and this may absolutely NOT be what you should be doing.

ALWAYS SEEK QUALIFIED MEDICAL ADVICE - even talking to a senior pharmacist at your local chemist as they often know more about certain drugs than some doctors.

Last point, if you are getting better pain should subside .... if you're pigging out on pain killers, will you be aware if pain is diminishing?

Get well soon ...

Good luck.

My advice is to ignore the well-meant suggestions of friends, family and NSC members. It's your condition that is being dealt with, no-one else's, and everyone is different. Talk to the people who have seen your scan results. They are likely to understand the condition best - and will give you the best opportunity to put your own information into the diagnosis and treatment regime.

By not putting Diclofenec and Co-codimal in the thread title (or even indicating that it is medical related) you've probably missed 90% of the advice that you could have had. Or do you think that the fraction of our 7000+ regular users interested in medical matters look into every thread just in case?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Good luck.

My advice is to ignore the well-meant suggestions of friends, family and NSC members. It's your condition that is being dealt with, no-one else's, and everyone is different. Talk to the people who have seen your scan results. They are likely to understand the condition best - and will give you the best opportunity to put your own information into the diagnosis and treatment regime.

LB...please can you change your avatar to oddjob jr?

Thanks in advance.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Good luck.

I've been talking various pain killing drugs for various reasons in the last year and I firmly commend the above.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
By not putting Diclofenec and Co-codimal in the thread title (or even indicating that it is medical related) you've probably missed 90% of the advice that you could have had. Or do you think that the fraction of our 7000+ regular users interested in medical matters look into every thread just in case?

Sorted.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Hope you're back to full health very quickly, glasfryn.

I've always found Co-codamol work well for pain but what you've gone through, whether it's right or wrong I don't know. I suppose you have to trust your doctor but keep going back if the medication doesn't feel right for seizures.

Biggest problem with cocodamol was the mother of all constpation after a weeks dose. Ladies, after passing that dreadnought there is nothing you can tell me about child birth!
Hope you're back to full health very quickly, glasfryn.

I've always found Co-codamol work well for pain but what you've gone through, whether it's right or wrong I don't know. I suppose you have to trust your doctor but keep going back if the medication doesn't feel right for seizures.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Biggest problem with cocodamol was the mother of all constpation after a weeks dose. Ladies, after passing that dreadnought there is nothing you can tell me about child birth!
THIS!!!!! having been a Co-Codamol taker for a few years now (between 6 & 8 per 24 hours) I can confirm I am NOT fat, just in need of a very good dump!!

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Solid generic advice I have followed is to take a constant 'base' of plain old paracetamol if the ailment persists and within the recommened dosage levels and 'top-up' when required with a hit of pure codeine. Problems of co-codamol could be that the suggested safe levels of paracetamol are easily exceeded.

Sorry, just my thoughts.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
THIS!!!!! having been a Co-Codamol taker for a few years now (between 6 & 8 per 24 hours) I can confirm I am NOT fat, just in need of a very good dump!!

I use Potters herbal cleansing tablets one per night before going to bed works perfectly, might be worth a try.
as of two days ago I have gone back on Diclofenac with no other painkiillers and last night had the first pain free night for ages 8 hours good sleep and this morning am pretty well pain free.
so if the Diclofenac is stopped I will chance getting them from the internet, but we will see when I pick up my next lot of medication.
as they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating, I feel a row brewing with the GP but I hope not as he is not a bad guy

we will see.
and thank you for all of your support

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
bit of an update
doctors yesterday and he will not prescribe diclofenac until I get the OK from a heart MRI
he has also stopped my BP tablets and my blood pressure mysteriously is pretty well OK
I spoke to the Pharmacist and there are not other anti-inflamatory to try his advice was although I might have a heart murmur will this be any huge difference to my heart function and try to convince him that this without Diclovenac will be a disaster

edit
the pharmacist also said you can buy what is exactly the same as diclofenac over the counter
wonder how long that will last?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Volterol is the trade name, the original NSAID. Can be bought off prescription. I had the what else is there conversation with my Doctor, and he gave me Naproxen.
At the moment I would say it has the same effect as Diclofenac, but I do use them for their anti-inflammatory properties for arthritic knees rather than pain release. These things are very personal though.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
Get your Gp to refer you to the nearest pain clinic-you will be seen by pain management consultant-also they have pharmacist advice specific to pm.sorry-can't remember if you are local?-nearest here is based at hove polyclinic.they will get you sorted out-if there is a delay re referring get them to request advice in the meantime.so sorry you are having such a rotten time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Taking warfarin and BP pills I am stuffed when it comes to pain killers! Anything with fen ie ibuprofen etc
in it affects warfarin and you have to be so careful as it throws your numbers out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here