Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Oh Alexis...

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I am 95% sure he will go because he meets the key criteria:

- we have prepared for his loss (we have more than one talented young player to compete for his place)

- we'll get a good price (probably more than his true 'worth' given that he has a global profile now)

- he's 'done his time' and earned a move, whilst behaving with impeccable professionalism (so far)

- he wants to go

The 5% uncertainty only relates to the last point, as Alexis himself has made positive noises but I assume his Dad is expressing his desire to move on his behalf.

I'd say Caicedo is more likely to stay. He's a (naively optimistic) 50:50 for me.
Yep, he's the perfect "case study / poster boy" for how we expect our players to behave and then be rewarded with their big move.

He even signed a new contract before the World Cup, which I imagine came with assurances he could leave if the price is right (maybe even a bit below asking price).

His Dad is just managing our expectations (which is fair).

Meanwhile I think Alexis does actually love the club and Brighton (his instagram is flooded with pics of the area), and he will be a model professional until his time is up.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't agree with the crazy transfers in modern football but an key play for a team pushing for top 6 and a world cup winner must command a fee of around 100m. I'd feel a little robbed if we only got around 60m for him.
And factor in that we have no financial pressure to sell and decent time left on the contract.

We've also just had a players agent trying to bounce us into a sale and that failed spectacularly.

We're in an incredible position to dictate terms of any sale.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
But Alexis isn't the only midfielder available. Just because City will likely buy a midfielder, it doesn't automatically follow they will try to buy Alexis.

This summer will be all about the race for Bellingham, meaning other midfielders, if they do go, are move likely to go later.

Given the quality and contract length of our prized midfielders, there are very few clubs who could stump up the cash.

Yes, there is a good chance we'll lose him, and I agree that the club might view this sale as lesser than some other evils, but it's far from nailed on that it will happen, especially if we're in Europe.
Bellingham and Rice are very different players to Ali Mac. City tend to set up with a double pivot of Rodri and one other, this is not Gundogan and would be where either Rice or Bellingham would come in (if they decide to chuck Phillips or let Stones return to CB). They also signed an Argentinian defensive wonderkid (Maximo Perrone) in January who will provide cover in the pivot.

Gundogan plays as an unselfish CAM next to KDB and has done almost exclusively for the last two years. Ali Mac is a ready made replacement.

The good news is that City, for all their alleged financial issues off the field, are always pretty active at player trading and have a lot of room to spend big on this summer's turnover (assuming any PL punishment is stuck in limbo thanks to their lawyers). Liverpool will not be able to afford our price but City will.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And factor in that we have no financial pressure to sell and decent time left on the contract.

We've also just had a players agent trying to bounce us into a sale and that failed spectacularly.

We're in an incredible position to dictate terms of any sale.
Our business model does rely on a big player sale or 2 every year, so it’s not really feasible to say no-one goes.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Bellingham and Rice are very different players to Ali Mac. City tend to set up with a double pivot of Rodri and one other, this is not Gundogan and would be where either Rice or Bellingham would come in (if they decide to chuck Phillips or let Stones return to CB). They also signed an Argentinian defensive wonderkid (Maximo Perrone) in January who will provide cover in the pivot.

Gundogan plays as an unselfish CAM next to KDB and has done almost exclusively for the last two years. Ali Mac is a ready made replacement.

The good news is that City, for all their alleged financial issues off the field, are always pretty active at player trading and have a lot of room to spend big on this summer's turnover (assuming any PL punishment is stuck in limbo thanks to their lawyers). Liverpool will not be able to afford our price but City will.
I suppose the point i'm making with bringing up Bellingham is less positional than financial. I can see them spending £100m on one midfielder, more likely Bellingham than Rice in my view, I think it less likely they spend up towards £200m on two of them.

City, I think, will be well aware that that there is a time when their misdeeds will catch up with them and I doubt will fan the flames with a Chelsea style splurge

I'm no Man City expert, but I can see them getting in another full back and asking Silva to resume his role in attacking midfield

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Him and Moises on the double pivot is so sexy.

I understand why he's pushed forward, but my god the 2 together are imperious.
If he goes I'd be very happy for Bissouma to return, providing we pay no more than we received for him. Don't forget he was possibly the best DM in the Prem until Conte ruined him and Caicedo appeared.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I suppose the point i'm making with bringing up Bellingham is less positional than financial. I can see them spending £100m on one midfielder, more likely Bellingham than Rice in my view, I think it less likely they spend up towards £200m on two of them.

City, I think, will be well aware that that there is a time when their misdeeds will catch up with them and I doubt will fan the flames with a Chelsea style splurge

I'm no Man City expert, but I can see them getting in another full back and asking Silva to resume his role in attacking midfield
Yes, I'd agree financially. I just think Alexis makes more sense to them than Bellingham (who don't get me wrong is a sublime player and will go on to be one of the best in the world) unless they are able to offload Phillips. There is no point in overstacking the deeper part of your midfield if you know you are going to lose Gundogan and probably Bernardo Silva in the summer. They're also, for everything that is there to hate about them, much more sensible than most clubs of their stature.

Agree they'll get a full back but they have already secured £61m for Cancelo and will offload Walker for a nice amount. Leaves them a lot of wiggle room in the summer market for everything they want/need.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If he goes I'd be very happy for Bissouma to return, providing we pay no more than we received for him. Don't forget he was possibly the best DM in the Prem until Conte ruined him and Caicedo appeared.
In a heartbeat. Very unlikely to happen with a new Spurs manager coming in. Especially if that manager likes a double pivot (all the likely candidates love a double pivot).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd be very grumpy.

There's at least 3 players attached to the club who will fit the role.
Taking an expensive backwards step for Biss, is lunacy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's as much lunacy as was bringing back Zamora and Murray.
Did we pay £35M+ for either of them ? From an accounting perspective it’d wipe out a decent wedge of our ‘profit’

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'd be very grumpy.

There's at least 3 players attached to the club who will fit the role.
Taking an expensive backwards step for Biss, is lunacy.
Backwards?

Peak Brighton Bissouma is not a step backwards. Admittedly Spurs Bissouma is. Spurs Bissouma isn't even good enough to be a shadow of Brighton Bissouma. :(

Not that it matters as it's unlikely we'll be re-signing him. Still, him and Caicedo as the two would be close to unbeatable.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Backwards?

Peak Brighton Bissouma is not a step backwards. Admittedly Spurs Bissouma is. Spurs Bissouma isn't even good enough to be a shadow of Brighton Bissouma. :(

Not that it matters as it's unlikely we'll be re-signing him. Still, him and Caicedo as the two would be close to unbeatable.

Bissouma wouldn’t come anyway. He has a chance to establish himself with a new manager when he comes back from injury and will be playing in Europe most likely next season with Spurs anyway.

Why would he agree to step back to us and halve his salary when he is both well paid where he is and now Conte is gone (who never really trusted him)?

*not picking at your logic, just quoting your post as it’s useful to build a point on

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I’m fully expecting Mac to go, because eventually someone will stump up the money Tony wants, but I just don’t think it will be the easy deal some of these tweets suggest. You would think other teams will have learnt by now, but absolutely guaranteed City/Liverpool/Arsenal will come in with a £40m bid & then spend all summer crying that we aren’t accepting. We will want the type of money that really digs a hole in their summers transfer budget, so it’ll be a test of exactly how much they want him. Liverpool need a whole new midfield, so are they going to spend £70/80m on one player? Maybe not, so that might mean they’re out of the race. Arsenal also want Declan Rice, but can they afford Rice & £70m on Mac. Maybe not. City lowballed us with Cucurella and didn’t get their man. The same might happen for Mac. Likely thing is he’ll go somewhere, but these things are never guaranteed.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bissouma wouldn’t come anyway. He has a chance to establish himself with a new manager when he comes back from injury and will be playing in Europe most likely next season with Spurs anyway.

Why would he agree to step back to us and halve his salary when he is both well paid where he is and now Conte is gone (who never really trusted him)?

*not picking at your logic, just quoting your post as it’s useful to build a point on
I agree. I think there is very little chance he'd come back unless he was forced out the door. I was just querying the claim that signing Biss would be a step backwards. He was absolute quality for us.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This absolute crumpet is officially obsessed with us, guy acts like he’s got inside information on every club going, ‘Liverpool/United will discuss with player side soon’ ??? :lolol:

Block him and mute his name, makes Twitter a better place

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

I'm sure you're correct but I would still be very happy if he came back. Moises and Biss in a double pivot is mind-blowing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here