Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis at Brighton Centre on 29 December, 1994 - were you there?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
From the moment I watched them appear on The Word and perform 'Supersonic', it was obvious (to me) that they were going to become an absolutely massive band. Charisma (like or loathe it), swagger and an utter belter of a song, to boot.
First two albums were stuffed with fabulous songs, followed by a gradual decline (imo) with the subsequent ones, although they had the odd great tune as well.
On form, they were a brilliant live act, too, but could just as easily be a bit rubbish....well, very rubbish.
To me, that era was the last 'great' era of British bands - Blur (yes, I liked them too!), Pulp, The Verve, Spiritualized....et al.

boik

Good to know that there is no argument too old for NSC to rehash and reheat. I'm sure we did this one on dial-up.

Oasis are obviously utterly joyful and anyone who doesn't like them is either lying, or doesn't like life itself.

(Blur were also great. But neither held a candle to the almighty Sunburst).

I've loved music all my life. Seen thousands of bands. I don't like Oasis. I find them one-paced with monotone vocals, but I can see how they'd be popular for lads singalongs.

But carry on - I'm obviously lying.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I wasn’t a teenager when Oasis ‘arrived’. I was a teenager when bands like The Killers, The Kooks, Kings of Leon etc. did come about. I listened to them and more, but I heard the album ‘Stop The Clocks’ and that changed it for me, so I bought ‘Dig Out Your Soul’ first then their previous albums and it soon became apparent that they were better than all the other bands (although Foo Fighters pushed them close!) Obviously I’d liked a few Oasis songs down the years, but properly listening to them all was great and it was certainly much better than Golrillaz.

1. Acquiesce
2. Some Might Say
3. D’You Know What I Mean?

Funny how someone has to bring up Blur on an Oasis thread. Must have missed it when their b-sides album sold more than Oasis’s.

I understand now. You weren’t alive during the battle of the bands and height of Brit Pop so won’t remember the (albeit hyped up) rivalry?

I won’t ask your opinion on Spandau v The League then? Moreover, The Popular Peoples Front v The People’s Popular Front?

The latter really were arch enemies back in the day. Fans spitting at each other, hurling abuse etc. Because both had covered a Beatles track called ‘Hey Judean’ and it was basically war! Ask your dad about. Although possibly before his time too.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Don't mind Oasis but well behind lots of other Manc Bands (Durutti Column, New Order, Smiths, Stone Roses etc.) IMO.

Beatles comparison is totally valid as Noel Gallagher is well known for saying they were a huge influence.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I've loved music all my life. Seen thousands of bands. I don't like Oasis. I find them one-paced with monotone vocals, but I can see how they'd be popular for lads singalongs.

You are on a thread about a band you don't like. Are we're supposed to care about your opinion?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Who do you like then?

boik

You are on a thread about a band you don't like. Are we're supposed to care about your opinion?

Err, excuse me. Someone said that if you don't like Oasis you don't like life or were lying. I think I'm perfectly entitled to address such rubbish about me.

Wouldn't have commented about them otherwise.

boik

Could be a long list, but I like the Wedding Present, The Cure, XTC, Neu!, Idles, Fontaines DC amongst many others.

I rread every music related thread nd didn't just pop on to have a bash at a band I don't rate very highly. Just thought such a stupid comment needed a counter position.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
WTS may have brought commercial success but it was at the expense of that punk/indie edge.
In a weird way, I kind of resent WTS for that. Although that level of success was always their aim and perhaps inevitable.
They were a truly special band when they were on their way up.
I had my first shag with Definitely Maybe on, and MOTD on the telly. Not that you asked.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Could be a long list, but I like the Wedding Present, The Cure, XTC, Neu!, Idles, Fontaines DC amongst many others.

I rread every music related thread nd didn't just pop on to have a bash at a band I don't rate very highly. Just thought such a stupid comment needed a counter position.

Fontaines DC new album. What’s your verdict? I’m not quite feeling it yet. First album is superb.
I saw them at a festival in Bristol in 2019, not knowing anything about them. Blown away.
Same with Idles at a dingy club in Reading in 2018.
It’s a beautiful thing to discover a band in that way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fontaines DC new album. What’s your verdict? I’m not quite feeling it yet. First album is superb.
I saw them at a festival in Bristol in 2019, not knowing anything about them. Blown away.

I saw IDLES at SO36 which is a sweaty old school punk venue; energy was mental. Hammered out pretty much every track off first two albums.

boik

Definitely not up with the first one. Might grow on me if I leave it a while and go back to it.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I saw IDLES at SO36 which is a sweaty old school punk venue; energy was mental. Hammered out pretty much every track off first two albums.

In the right venue (like that ) they are exceptional.
I wonder if they’ve been a bit overexposed though.
It feels like they’re always either on tour or releasing new music.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I like Model Village but I can’t listen to it without thinking Vyvyan from the Young Ones is singing the line....I beg your pardon, I don’t care about your rose garden :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like Model Village but I can’t listen to it without thinking Vyvyan from the Young Ones is singing the line....I beg your pardon, I don’t care about your rose garden :)

Ha ha.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here