Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis at Brighton Centre on 29 December, 1994 - were you there?

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I loved oasis back in the day.
I saw them live a few times and I thought they were the business.
But I never saw them in Brighton which is weird.
but what's also weird is now I can't stand them.
Somehow I've gone from thinking they were the best band in the world to now thinking they are shite.
I honestly don't know how this happened.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
No - always thought Oasis were simply overrated yobs

Oasis behaved exactly as rock bands should, and played the part very very well.
If you want your rock stars to be rolemodel citizens then you’re missing the point.
Also, Definitely Maybe stands the test of time.
For a short time they were as good as it got.
I feel sorry for today’s youth whose music scene has been marginalised and who aspire to be Youtubers!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I loved oasis back in the day.
I saw them live a few times and I thought they were the business.
But I never saw them in Brighton which is weird.
but what's also weird is now I can't stand them.
Somehow I've gone from thinking they were the best band in the world to now thinking they are shite.
I honestly don't know how this happened.

They’re at their stage where they’re out of fashion.
That goes for 90s culture as a whole. Excess is a dirty word at the moment.
There will come a time when the nostalgia kicks in and they’ll be remembered for the great band they were.
Listen to Headshrinker and Acquiesce again and you won’t be saying they’re shite!

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I was there, but can’t see myself in the photo.

Support from The La’s and Ride.

I think it may have been the first time Oasis did an encore too

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/oasis/1994/brighton-centre-brighton-england-2bd798f6.html

Another photo (from the same night) from the great Chris Flloyd...

la's.jpg

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I was there, too, as way back then I was quite an Oasis fan, although not so much over the following years. That said, I went to loads of gigs back then and some great acts seemed to play in Brighton, regularly - Sinead O'Connor was rather excellent at the Brighton Centre.
I can't really remember much of the Oasis gig itself, but there was an aftershow party at The Escape, which I went to. I got chatting to Sid Owen (Ricky from Eastenders - nice lad), and he tried to use his minor celeb status to blag me entry to the upstairs, where the band themselves were enjoying....God knows what.
Sadly, the doormen in place were having none of it, despite Sid saying I was with him, so off he toddled upstairs, leaving me to continue getting pissed-up with we lesser mortals in the main room.
Funnily enough, I recently found myself watching this, as I stumbled across it on YouTube - it's rather good, imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkxJCXvqOFk

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
It was nothing to with them being working class, they behaved like *unts. Slagging of anyone and everything to try make themselves seem as cool. I personally despise people who slate others to make themselves seem better whether they are famous or otherwise. Their music was not good enough for me to be able see above their attitude.

I was talking about how the music industry is now.

No, they didn’t act like *unts, that was tabloid rubbish, there are other famous bands that have done far worse, even acts on their own like Elton John.

They didn’t slag off others to seem cool, they just told the truth and obviously that was too much for some to take. Their goal was to shake up the music industry at the time because the music was mostly terrible and like junk food, just like now, I would’ve done the same thing and still would now. We wouldn’t have had the indie music in the 00’s if it wasn’t for them, we would have barely heard of Blur because they tried to form a rivalry with Oasis, but didn’t even come close. Noel’s prolific songwriting was unmatched at the time, as evidenced by the quality of the b-sides which were better than most other band’s a-sides.

I don’t see anything wrong with their attitude at the time, we needed a band that wouldn’t tow the line and suck anyone’s cock to get somewhere...unlike the shit we see in the charts these days. All they want these days is instant fame, whereas Oasis practiced 6 nights a week and did the graft of playing shitty little gigs all over the place. I think they are entitled to a bit of attitude, especially when their songs are loved by 10’s of millions worldwide.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Certainly not as good as Blur. As per the battle of the bands which Oasis lost. And Country house was probably Blurs worst ever song. Still beat Oasis. Love NGs HFBs but OASIS were crap. Just goes to show, get rid of gobey twaty Liam and Noels never looked back (in anger) See what I did there? :)

Wow! Talk about living in a made up world. Oasis absolutely battered Blur when it came to ‘the battle of the bands’, look at the album sales and how many number 1’s each band had. Blur purposefully chose to release their single the same time Oasis released their’s (which happened to be the worst single off the album).They wouldn’t even be talked about now if it wasn’t for that.

Blur’s songs are nowhere near as good as Oasis’s b-sides let alone Wonderwall, Don’t Look Back in Anger, She’s Electric, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova.

Noel’s the more goby one of the two. Liams’s a lot more friendly, I’ve known about that for years, but more and more people are waking up to it now, maybe you should too. It’s plainly clear to see in ‘Supersonic’.

Noel’s first solo album were just songs for what was going to be the next Oasis album, but wasn’t as good as it didn’t have Liam’s voice. It was still good, but would’ve been a lot better, but Noel’s a bitter character these days so decided to slag off fans who weren’t interested instead. Most of his dancey pop tracks have been pretty shit and embarrassing. Liam has been doing far better on his own than Noel, probably why Noel most definitely does look back in anger. He’s also found a load of old songs he wrote for Oasis, which he intends to make an album out of - indicating that’s he’s probably lost it and very disappointed with the fan reaction to his recent stuff.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
:lolol:

By far one of the best bands we’ve ever had. The perfect blend of rock and pop, much like the The Beatles in that way.

The snobbery of musicians/producers in the business towards working class musicians who may want to emulate bands like Oasis is what keeps potential good bands from getting anywhere these days.

What a crock of shite. So much of music is pioneered by the working classes, whatever the genre. The idea that Oasis were some kind of outliers in this regard is laughable. Clearly they are your favourite band and that's that for you.

And I have nothing against them. Some great tracks, bit derivative, but that's ok.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
What a crock of shite. So much of music is pioneered by the working classes, whatever the genre. The idea that Oasis were some kind of outliers in this regard is laughable. Clearly they are your favourite band and that's that for you.

And I have nothing against them. Some great tracks, bit derivative, but that's ok.

What’s a crock of shite? I’ve worked with producers and I know exactly how they are and how most musicians are, just like some on here with the ‘they were yobs, so I don’t listen’ shite.

I didn’t say Oasis were outliers, but they were probably the most recognised working class band that actually sounded working class. It’s not because they are working class, it’s because they unashamedly are.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
They’re at their stage where they’re out of fashion.
That goes for 90s culture as a whole. Excess is a dirty word at the moment.
There will come a time when the nostalgia kicks in and they’ll be remembered for the great band they were.
Listen to Headshrinker and Acquiesce again and you won’t be saying they’re shite!

If you look on Instagram, they look like they are coming back into fashion, they are possibly bigger now than when they split.

A lot of young people are getting onboard and it kicked off after ‘Supersonic’ came out.

An Oasis reunion would be huge, it won’t happen obviously, but hundreds of thousands of kids who never got to see them would want to go.

Make guitar music cool again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here