Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Oasis at Brighton Centre on 29 December, 1994 - were you there?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One shouldn't confuse an inability to play ones instrument with being Working class. The Jam weren't posh, but proficient. Pink Floyd were borderline posh, but by his own admission, Nick Mason is a very average drummer.

Whilst Noel has progressed, Liam can't sing, although shouts pretty well, and the original band line up were woeful. We gigged fairly regularly with a band called heavy stereo in 95, Gem Archer was their stand out member, he joined Oasis soon after that, then Steve Whites drummer joined to play drums.

My mate’s wife is quite possibly the only person to have bought a Heavy Stereo album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not even the most 'working class' band in Manchester, that would be the Happy Mondays - proper oiks!

Oiks but they knew their music....some definite and obvious Can influences in their sound. Not an obvious choice for a band at that time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m not a huge Oasis fan but they were the full package for a while. Their first two albums were astoundingly good and had real attitude and swagger and tune after tune. As for questioning their musicianship; you don’t need to be the best musicians to write and perform great songs.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oiks but they knew their music....some definite and obvious Can influences in their sound. Not an obvious choice for a band at that time.

Can't deny it, were Tony Wilson's second favourite Band on Factory Records after the mighty Durutti Column, made a bit more money for the Label than DC obviously!

In regards to Oasis I can't recall who did the infamous quote: On a good day the best Beatles tribute band in the world, on a bad day the best Slade tribute band... :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Good to know that there is no argument too old for NSC to rehash and reheat. I'm sure we did this one on dial-up.

Oasis are obviously utterly joyful and anyone who doesn't like them is either lying, or doesn't like life itself.

(Blur were also great. But neither held a candle to the almighty Sunburst).

Aye. I should have sub-titled the thread "(if you don't like Oasis, please do pop in and tell us)". :ffsparr:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
An Oasis reunion would be huge, it will happen obviously.

Corrected for you. As soon as both of their solo careers fail at the same time, it will happen. A short tour would be So lucrative that I’m sure they’d put their differences to one side. Also, you have to wonder if the animosity is hyped up for our benefit.

Sounds like you, like me, was a teenager when Oasis broke through. What a time to be alive.

Your Top three Oasis songs?
For me.

1 Acquiesce
2 Bring it on down (live)
3 Shock of the lightning

I wasn’t a teenager when Oasis ‘arrived’. I was a teenager when bands like The Killers, The Kooks, Kings of Leon etc. did come about. I listened to them and more, but I heard the album ‘Stop The Clocks’ and that changed it for me, so I bought ‘Dig Out Your Soul’ first then their previous albums and it soon became apparent that they were better than all the other bands (although Foo Fighters pushed them close!) Obviously I’d liked a few Oasis songs down the years, but properly listening to them all was great and it was certainly much better than Golrillaz.

1. Acquiesce
2. Some Might Say
3. D’You Know What I Mean?

Funny how someone has to bring up Blur on an Oasis thread. Must have missed it when their b-sides album sold more than Oasis’s.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wasn’t a teenager when Oasis ‘arrived’. I was a teenager when bands like The Killers, The Kooks, Kings of Leon etc. did come about. I listened to them and more, but I heard the album ‘Stop The Clocks’ and that changed it for me, so I bought ‘Dig Out Your Soul’ first then their previous albums and it soon became apparent that they were better than all the other bands (although Foo Fighters pushed them close!) Obviously I’d liked a few Oasis songs down the years, but properly listening to them all was great and it was certainly much better than Golrillaz.

1. Acquiesce
2. Some Might Say
3. D’You Know What I Mean?

Funny how someone has to bring up Blur on an Oasis thread. Must have missed it when their b-sides album sold more than Oasis’s.

The two bands are intrinsically linked for a number of reasons so it’s inevitable the “other” band will pop up in conversation.

What made you listen to Stop The Clocks...that’s not the most obvious first Oasis album to listen to. I’m curious.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
In regards to Oasis I can't recall who did the infamous quote: On a good day the best Beatles tribute band in the world, on a bad day the best Slade tribute band... :lolol:

Slade I get, but the ubiquitous Beatles comparison is a puzzle. Noel had a passing resemblance to Paul McCartney, but do Wonderwall, Don't Look Back In Anger, Round Are Way, Champagne Supernova and the like actually sound like Beatles songs?

Can't hear it myself.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I stopped reading half way through your first sentence because of the ironic ‘made up world’, this after you started a sentence with ‘Wow’ (are you 5?!) Clearly you’re far too big a fan of to objectively comment. Glad you like them. In rock and rolls hall of fame, I prefer those that make up the top 100. Oasis are more northern premier in association with Poundland.

Doesn’t surprise me to see you not reading the whole thing as you never want to know the truth. You made up allowed of crap about Blur being better, I must have missed it when 2 and half million people applied for tickets for an Blur gig or when any of Blur’s albums sold more than Oasis’s. I must have missed it when Blur got more number 1’s than Oasis. Listen to (What’s The Story) Morning Glory and you’ll see there are more hits on there than most bands have in their entire career, and that probably includes Blur. I didn’t come on here to slate another band.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Aside from the fact that Damon Albarn is an extremely talented and varied musician who has gone on to create a shit ton more interesting (and successful) music than either Gallagher brother has managed to come up with at any point, you're probably right.

I’m sure he is a talented musician, just like Noel.

As for more successful, think you may have the check the records for that. It may be close though. I was talking about Blur on their own though. As for his other act, I liked a few singles, wouldn’t call them interesting though or rather hear them at a gig.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
They definitely behaved that way to be popular trying to be edgy etc, they just got a different set of sheep to follow them.

As a women I have never been a young man, so no. But I get it, you love them, you can see past their crassness. Good for you.

What has Ed Sheeran done to upset you? been a bit too popular, so must be sh!T!. Actually are you Noel?

They didn’t though, they were themselves, which is one of the reasons why so many liked them. They didn’t need to tow the line, they became successful through the music and charisma alone.

I don’t mind Ed, but he’s pretty beige and like a lot of celebrities probably doesn’t really say what he thinks. That’s up to him, doesn’t mean I have to respect him for it, if he started acting like a real lad and looking like he’s enjoying himself, then yeah. But he’s like everyone else ‘Hello, may I please sit Graham Norton’s lap and laugh because I have to?’

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Not even the most 'working class' band in Manchester, that would be the Happy Mondays - proper oiks!

Probably right, but I was talking about the bands at that time.

That comment about Oasis sounding like The Beatles is so lazy. They sound no more like The Beatles than Slade do.

If by ‘sounding like The Beatles’ means having catchy tunes, great voices and brilliant riffs...then yeah! They sound like The Beatles.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Two great albums then several samey less impressive albums with the occasional stand out tracks.

Not even worth comparing to Blur as it’s a lazy comparison. When Oasis hit their high of What’s the Story ... Blur had the low of the Great Escape.

Difference is Blur constantly evolved and changed direction .. oasis didn’t.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably right, but I was talking about the bands at that time.

That comment about Oasis sounding like The Beatles is so lazy. They sound no more like The Beatles than Slade do.

If by ‘sounding like The Beatles’ means having catchy tunes, great voices and brilliant riffs...then yeah! They sound like The Beatles.

Oi! I’ve asked you two polite and genuine questions! :lolol:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
What do you do?

Well, what it did I don’t do anymore. One of my songs got on BBC radio, but then some unforeseen shit happened after that and I found out who my real friends were.

As for Oasis, I already liked a couple of singles (Don’t Look Back in Anger and Little by Little, I think) and I think it was a mate’s ex that sent me the album, or it might have been another girl I was talking to at the time, I can’t remember. I probably liked The Shock Of The Lightning at the time and needed another band to get into after I got all the Foo Fighters albums and wanted to play different stuff on the guitar, got their latest album then went from there. Saw them at Wembley then they broke up :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If you look on Instagram, they look like they are coming back into fashion, they are possibly bigger now than when they split.

A lot of young people are getting onboard and it kicked off after ‘Supersonic’ came out.

An Oasis reunion would be huge, it won’t happen obviously, but hundreds of thousands of kids who never got to see them would want to go.

Make guitar music cool again!

My 17 year old son absolutely loves Oasis, he showed me the Oasis and a Stone Roses posters online yesterday that he had just ordered.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Doesn’t surprise me to see you not reading the whole thing as you never want to know the truth. You made up allowed of crap about Blur being better, I must have missed it when 2 and half million people applied for tickets for an Blur gig or when any of Blur’s albums sold more than Oasis’s. I must have missed it when Blur got more number 1’s than Oasis. Listen to (What’s The Story) Morning Glory and you’ll see there are more hits on there than most bands have in their entire career, and that probably includes Blur. I didn’t come on here to slate another band.

Confession. I’m not really interested in a Oasis-Blur cockfight. It’s 25years too late for starters. I’m not even a mega fan of blur. I just prefer them to Oasis. It’s funny to see partisan music fans get so wound up though. You honoured me with your passion and fight. If you’re like this about the Albion, you are exactly the type of person I’d want in the terrace trenches next to me! Especially versus them lot up the A23! :bowdown:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well, what it did I don’t do anymore. One of my songs got on BBC radio, but then some unforeseen shit happened after that and I found out who my real friends were.

As for Oasis, I already liked a couple of singles (Don’t Look Back in Anger and Little by Little, I think) and I think it was a mate’s ex that sent me the album, or it might have been another girl I was talking to at the time, I can’t remember. I probably liked The Shock Of The Lightning at the time and needed another band to get into after I got all the Foo Fighters albums and wanted to play different stuff on the guitar, got their latest album then went from there. Saw them at Wembley then they broke up :lolol:

I’m always interested when people get into a band very late as they don’t follow the natural chronology and were not present when it was released i.e. they can possibly view the music without the progression and surrounding hype and noise of the time and consequently appraise it more objectively.

And well done on getting a song released and on the radio...that’s brilliant. But, you can’t tell me you had a song on the BBC and not tell me what it is! I’m genuinely interested so PM if you don’t feel comfortable posting to NSC.

As an aside, I don’t agree with everything you’re saying but I totally love your passion . It’s something I feel is disappearing in music, so keep going!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here