Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t Five months into the year - Best Albums so far?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Rough Trade Records have announced their top 10 albums of the year

http://roughtradeshop.blogspot.com/2011/11/rough-trades-top-10-albums-of-year-2011.html

They've put Josh Pearson at the top of the pile. I've not got too many complaints with that, it's all about opinions after all but looking at their list it does seem weighted heavily towards folk/Americana/country/guitar type music. the Nicolas Jaar album is brilliant and deserves its place in there but I think electronica needs more than just that as a representation in their list. I'm surprised Gui Boratto isn't in there too. Perhaps he's now a bit too mainstream for them.

I was a little late in getting it but I bought Little Dragon's Ritual Union the other day and is in my opinion a lovely album. It's very well produced and as with all their stuff is incredibly understated. I guess that's what comes from a band that's Swedish/Japanese. It's never going to be over-demonstrative but it's going to be very good. Unlike the last album of theirs, it feels a bit more a complete package rather than separate songs and I like the way the songs flow into each other.

My compilation album of the year is Japanease, a 120 track compilation with proceeds towards Japanese victims of the earthquake this year. Just about everybody got involved with this and is a monster of an album.

Marmaduke

SE London Seagull
Apr 28, 2010
SE London
Th Horrors album is my favourite album of the year so far.... PJ Harvey's is a gem too. M83 'Hurry Up, We're Dreaming' not far behand.

Was also mightily impressed by the new Death In Vegas album - Trans Love Energies

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

http://roughtradeshop.blogspot.com/2011/11/rough-trades-top-10-albums-of-year-2011.html

They've put Josh Pearson at the top of the pile. I've not got too many complaints with that, it's all about opinions after all but looking at their list it does seem weighted heavily towards folk/Americana/country/guitar type music. the Nicolas Jaar album is brilliant and deserves its place in there but I think electronica needs more than just that as a representation in their list. I'm surprised Gui Boratto isn't in there too. Perhaps he's now a bit too mainstream for them.

I was a little late in getting it but I bought Little Dragon's Ritual Union the other day and is in my opinion a lovely album. It's very well produced and as with all their stuff is incredibly understated. I guess that's what comes from a band that's Swedish/Japanese. It's never going to be over-demonstrative but it's going to be very good. Unlike the last album of theirs, it feels a bit more a complete package rather than separate songs and I like the way the songs flow into each other.

My compilation album of the year is Japanease, a 120 track compilation with proceeds towards Japanese victims of the earthquake this year. Just about everybody got involved with this and is a monster of an album.

Interesting. I've gone off the Kurt Vile album, again. I found it quite bland at first, then started to like it, but I have now decided it's bland.

I'm also looking out for Yuksek. I really hope he figures in the end of year charts as I think he will be my album of 2011 slightly ahead of PJ Harvey. I saw him last night at Coalition and he was damn fine. I've seen many a band flop with the live band electronic thing but he got it just right. A perfect blend of pop live band and dance floor beat. I was totally shocked to be one of only about 50 people in attendance though. But, everyone's loss was my gain as I spent the night dancing with a number of teenage Frenchies in denim shorts and racey tights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

..and no Jeffrey Lewis.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
..and no Jeffrey Lewis.

I need to check this Jeffrey Lewis out. For some reason I have a mental block when I try to remember his name and I just see Jeffrey Lee Pierce ex-Gun Club bloke who died a few years back. Yuksek sounds interesting too. Must buy the Pantha Du Prince album too.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Ancient & Modern - The Mekons

yet another smashing Mekons LP

Agreed - saw them do a free promo gig at Rough Trade's Brick Lane mega-store last Sunday lunch-time; their only British gig this year.

Brilliant album - especially tracks like 'Space in Your Face' and 'Honey Bear'.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Wire - Red Barked Tree
P. J. Harvey - Let England Shake
Mekons - Ancient and Modern
The Fall - Ersatz GB
Half Man Half Biscuit - 90 Bisodol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I need to check this Jeffrey Lewis out. For some reason I have a mental block when I try to remember his name and I just see Jeffrey Lee Pierce ex-Gun Club bloke who died a few years back. Yuksek sounds interesting too. Must buy the Pantha Du Prince album too.

He's really good, it's described as anti-folk and his lyrics are very witty and clever. His early work is very scratchy and amateur though...similar to Daniel Johnson in this respect. Maybe work backwards.

He is quite amusing because he eschews most music biz stuff and is very DIY...but has become hipster because of this; listen to the very perceptive Cult Boyfriend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been listening to Kate Bush's new album '50 Words for Snow'. It's certainly a better album from her than her previous outings and is a lot more minimal. You know those Talk Talk albums of the 90s that were delicate, introspective, intelligent, grown-up? Well this is a lot like those. It has a slightly classical feel to it because he draws so heavily on the piano and her voice (which is superb. Snowflake shows her hitting the top notes with ease). I need to look at who was involved in it because a few tracks feel like they have Dave Gilmour's presence on them. Overall, I'd say it's a fine album but don't expect to be lifted by it. It seems Ms Bush is a bit of a troubled soul. I like the little nods back to Bjork with some of the arrangements.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I've been listening to Kate Bush's new album '50 Words for Snow'. It's certainly a better album from her than her previous outings and is a lot more minimal. You know those Talk Talk albums of the 90s that were delicate, introspective, intelligent, grown-up? Well this is a lot like those. It has a slightly classical feel to it because he draws so heavily on the piano and her voice (which is superb. Snowflake shows her hitting the top notes with ease). I need to look at who was involved in it because a few tracks feel like they have Dave Gilmour's presence on them. Overall, I'd say it's a fine album but don't expect to be lifted by it. It seems Ms Bush is a bit of a troubled soul. I like the little nods back to Bjork with some of the arrangements.

Am having to wait for this because Miss TRHK is buying it for me for Christmas (ah, nice of her). Can't wait.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
+ by Ed Sheeran is brilliant. Maybe a bit more of a slower more relaxed listen but still some good upbeat tunes and no album fillers IMO.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Low "C'mon" getting plenty of airplay in advance on next weekend's gig. If it wasn't by Low I'd probably rate it higher as it IS by Low then it's just very good (hope they lean heavily on back catalogue on the 3rd)

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
vaccines

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A few albums I've bought that are well worth checking out:

Ringo Deathstarr's album Shadow. Pevenseagull has got me into them and I picked up a promo copy of their 2011 album. If you like shoegazer guitars and soaring riffs then this is for you.

Gold Panda - DJ Kicks - the latest DJ Kicks outing sees Peckham's Gold Panda in the driving seat. It's a beautiful collection of tracks and has amazing depth and breadth. It's had mixed reviews and some are calling it a little too technical and cold but I found an amzing amount of passion had gone into it. Sometimes it's not all about a thumping bass and anthemic chords. Gold Panda is also adept at Glitch and I've always been a sucker for this more cerebral (more cerebral to me, anyway) dance music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here