o/t Five months into the year - Best Albums so far?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
The new Friendly Fires one is good, usually takes me a few listens to get into a new album, but I was into this one straight away.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Top five releases so far-

Valhalla Dancehall- British Sea Power
Valhalla Dancehall. Demos and Alternative versions- British Sea Power
Zeus E.P- British Sea Power
Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will- Mogwai
Counter Culture 10- Rough Trade Shops. A compilation of stuff from 2010 but released this year.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is the correct answer. On a point of pedantry is she a member of The Knife, or an occasional collaborator? She was also last seen on stage with my electronic favourites LCD. Either way good call.

I am currently listening to a Trax label re-edit album which was released earlier this year. Some lovely lightly rerubbed old school Chicago tracks from back in the day.

Great minds, HT...great minds. As to her involvement with the Knife, I'm not sure. I took it as gospel having read it somewhere. Happy to be corrected though.

f*** me, it's a great album though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Great minds, HT...great minds. As to her involvement with the Knife, I'm not sure. I took it as gospel having read it somewhere. Happy to be corrected though.

f*** me, it's a great album though.

That "I'm Yr Man" track is stunning.

I first became aware of Planning from her contribution to this collaboration between The Knife, Mt Sims, some opera singer who's name escapes me and the Danish Arts Council. A musical about the life of Charles Darwin. Well worth a listen! When I bought the album chappy in Rounder filled me in on PlanningtoRock.

The new DangerMouse long player is rather good as well.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That new Metronomy album is a grower. Needs a good few listens though.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
images

Not my normal taste, but very, very good. :bowdown:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a tip from Ponce's de-minimis blog I have purchased the rather excellent new Battles long player. I'm totally new to their work but am finding some commonality with math rock (I really like Don Caballero) Go check it out.

As an aside, I've just been perusing my 2011 purchases and it is indeed a great year for music, some great new bands have emerged, some established artists have released some excellent stuff and on a personal note I've found some new bands to listen to...Battles a case in hand.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Check out The Skinny by Ian Siegal & The Youngest Sons - swampy blues at its best.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've got a few new contenders for album of the year. The new Felice Brothers album - Celebration, Florida is quite simply excellent in every way. They go from strength to strength and cover so many bases with this long player. There's some old fashioned country and even a bit of yodelling, there's drum machines, there's everything. Buy it - you won't be disappointed.

The other album is a Dennis Bovell dub remix of Steve Mason's Boys Outside album that the ex-Beta Band lead singer released last year. It's co-produced by Richard X who also did the Foxbase Beta album a year or two back. I really wouldn't have thought that the deeply personal and haunting Boys Outside would have been a contender for a dub remix but bloody hell, this absolutely hits the spot. It's called Ghost Outside.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Top 10, so far.

10) Rolling Papers
[yt]UhQz-0QVmQ0&ob=av2e[/yt]

9) Yuck - Yuck
[yt]yGU60-6A6Xg[/yt]

8) Lasers - Lupe Fiasco
[yt]22l1sf5JZD0&ob=av2e[/yt]

7) Bon Iver - Bon Iver
[yt]bo6lKQYVUBU[/yt]

6) Goblin - Tyler, The Creator