Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t Five months into the year - Best Albums so far?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
fleetfoxes - check
foo fighters - check
the wombats - check
gruff rhys - check

and I'll raise you Rumer and Noah and the Whale

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Cut Copy's Zonoscope and Take Care, Take Care, Take Care by Explosions In The Sky have stood out for me so far.

Whilst neither band really deviate too much from the sound of their earlier stuff, both albums are probably their strongest and most well-rounded yet.

Going by the superb singles, I'm rather looking forward to giving The English Riviera by Metronomy a full-length listen later this week as well.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
computers-and-blues.jpg

Back to their best.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Cut Copy's Zonoscope and Take Care, Take Care, Take Care by Explosions In The Sky have stood out for me so far.

Whilst neither band really deviate too much from the sound of their earlier stuff, both albums are probably their strongest and most well-rounded yet.

Going by the superb singles, I'm rather looking forward to giving The English Riviera by Metronomy a full-length listen later this week as well.

Agreed, Zonoscape is a great album. Wasn't aware of a new EiTS album, will have to check the out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good reminder. I plan to get the Metronomy album.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Actually a 2010 release but I've only just heard it, My Darkest Days.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Vahalla Dancehall - British Sea Power, their best album since their first. PJ Harvey's 'Let England Shake' is eerie, stripped down and cant stop playing it. What I've seen and heard of the new Fleet Foxes, I know I'm going to love it. Still rate their gig at the Roundhouse as in my top 10 best ever.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
This week I've got my hands on Tomboy by Panda Bear - very, very good and a bit of a change in direction as well - it's more like the last Animal Collective album than his previous solo album.

On that note, I'm seeing Animal Collective next week - it'll be interesting to see if they play any new material as well.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Two bands to watch out for this year. Niki & the Dove and Austra. Austra's debut album out on Monday

bnfrnkln

all the lads...
Nov 2, 2009
the ministry of flair
i really like the new Wild Beasts album 'Smother', also Fleet Foxes new one. Explosions in the Sky as mentioned above is a nice listen and there's a new Chad Valley EP on the way and the tracks ive heard from it sound great!

i was going to say Gold Panda - Lucky Shiner but apparently that came out at the end of 2010 - nevertheless if you havn't heard it its well worth a listen. we can just pretend it came out in 2011. (apologies if i've now bought the thread in to disrepute)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The best album by far at this point is PJ Harvey - Let England Shake. Amazing.

Also rather a fan of the recently released albums by Low and Wild Beasts.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Earlier on this year I'd have said the Sea of Bees album, closely followed by Conquering Animal Sounds, Rainbow Arabia and the When Saints Go Machine too. David Lynch's Fine Day is the best EP.

...however.....I'm listening to the PlanningToRock album, W, right now and so far it is blowing everything else out the water. It's like a mad moody manic Power Rock album to a dance beat. She's part of the Swedish band, the Knife and if you liked Fever Ray's album then you will adore this. I promise you. It's a shame the sleeve notes are unreadable - dark blue on black but, blimey, I love this album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...however.....I'm listening to the PlanningToRock album, W, right now and so far it is blowing everything else out the water. It's like a mad moody manic Power Rock album to a dance beat. She's part of the Swedish band, the Knife and if you liked Fever Ray's album then you will adore this. I promise you. It's a shame the sleeve notes are unreadable - dark blue on black but, blimey, I love this album.

Is the correct answer. On a point of pedantry is she a member of The Knife, or an occasional collaborator? She was also last seen on stage with my electronic favourites LCD. Either way good call.

I am currently listening to a Trax label re-edit album which was released earlier this year. Some lovely lightly rerubbed old school Chicago tracks from back in the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here