Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t Daybreak shows us all that's wrong in this country

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
??? Really? I think you'll find that although all the protocols for the modern internet were designed by a Brit,...

Vint Cerf, inventer of TCP/IP is a Brit? no. methinks you are thinking of Tim Berners-Lee who invented the WWW protocol. this is not the same thing as the Internet.

anyway, why has a debate about feckless scroungers turned off into corporate tax bashing? why cant people recognise they are two seperate issues: even if you had no tax avoidance the scroungers still need to be addressed. its bonkers to say, as some seem to be, its OK to scrounge because a company or two didnt pay as much tax as we think/expect/want them to.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The problem is over the last fifty years is that governments of both persuasions have changed the welfare state from a last resort safety net to the labyrinth it is now.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The problem is over the last fifty years is that governments of both persuasions have changed the welfare state from a last resort safety net to the labyrinth it is now.

Employing thousands of people.
Lots of them earning substantial salaries in the public sector and desperately protective of their positions. The more benefit claims and issues the better...it keeps them gainfully employed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well it's a approx. £45 million in salary p.a and £90 million in expenses. Plus all the other stuff that is probably incalculable ie. the cost of parliament and everything surrounding it. I reckon they cost us about a billion.

Osborne's incompetence alone has cost the UK billions.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
its bonkers to say, as some seem to be, its OK to scrounge because a company or two didnt pay as much tax as we think/expect/want them to.

Just as well no one has said this then.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There are government departments which spend that sort of amount on PLANTS each year...

Of course the woman is bonkers if she says she can't live on that amount of cash. Probably never been shown how etc or ever encouraged to have aspirations above a new TV. Not ALL her fault.

But it suits the political agenda to demonise the poor so carry on.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
How typical of people in the country is someone like that? Really?

Sadly, typical of many.
We now have generations of non-working parents. From an early age individuals are taught how to ' work the system '
How to extract every available benefit from the state. Allowances for invalidity, disabled, caring, job-seeking etc. You name it they claim it.
They are provided with accomodation for next to nothing and are happy being supported by the tax-payer.
And all the time, thousands are being employed in the public sector, ensuring that these people receive all that they are entitled to. Sometimes they need reminding that they qualify for extra allowance and the public sector are only too happy to ensure that they get this additional payment.
It makes you wonder why you work all week, employ people and pay taxes, when there are thousands out there sticking two fingers up to the rest of us.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When I went into the merchants this morning she was on the box again. The question I would have asked her was - considering her size and appearance - " How the hell did you get shagged 7 times ? "

macky

Dec 28, 2004
It wil lbe interesting to see what happens when universla benefits comes in All us who are self employed will be forced sign on
if we dont make the minium wage over something like a 36 hour week another 3 million or so visiting the jobcentre weeky

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There are government departments which spend that sort of amount on PLANTS each year...

Of course the woman is bonkers if she says she can't live on that amount of cash. Probably never been shown how etc or ever encouraged to have aspirations above a new TV. Not ALL her fault.

But it suits the political agenda to demonise the poor so carry on.

But she quite clearly isnt one of them .........

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There are people that actually watch Daybreak!?! :eek:

Lorraine and Aled, lovely people for sure but I prefer the hard cutting edge of BBC's DREAM TEAM, Bill Turnbull and Suzanna Reid.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
??? Really? I think you'll find that although all the protocols for the modern internet were designed by a Brit, the UK taxpayer paid the tiniest proportion of both the development costs (I think you'll find the US department of defense footed most of the bill here!) or indeed the international infrastructure costs (telecomms providers have put up most of the money here and very few are truly state owned and certainly BT long since ceased to be funded by the UK Taxpayer). A bigger pile of BS I have not seen in a while!

BT was still part of the Post Office until the middle of 1980 as the Thatcher Government had already identified it as a money spinning privatisation after winning the election in 1979. For decades before privatisation the GPO and Cable & Wireless ploughed fortunes into transatlantic telephone cables which made London the main hub for worldwide communications.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lorraine and Aled, lovely people for sure but I prefer the hard cutting edge of BBC's DREAM TEAM, Bill Turnbull and Suzanna Reid.

I find it sad that you know all of their names.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I find it sad that you know all of their names.

To be fair it is not hard when you see people day after day on tv and their names come up to grasp being able to remember names. Even people with a very low IQ could do this tbh.

Dandyman

In London village.
38 year old mother of 7 Clare Bache says she cannot live on less than £32,000 a year benefits, call me old fashioned but once I'd checked that it wasn't 1st April, I watched bewildered, Lorraine and Aled looked concerned but ffs how have we let it get this bad?

How much do the father or fathers of the 7 contribute?

What example is she, and the aforementioned fathers, is she setting to those 7 kids?

Had enough money for two tattoos on her forearms!

and just look at this bunch of workshy scroungers http://www.republic.org.uk/What we want/In depth/Royal finances/index.php

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here