Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t Daybreak shows us all that's wrong in this country

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Well said Herr. Also consider that many of these large corparations benefit from the infrastructure that UK tax money has paid for but don't contribute. A classic example is that the internet was a British invention funded mainly by (you guessed it) the UK Taxpayer. What do Amazon do again?

??? Really? I think you'll find that although all the protocols for the modern internet were designed by a Brit, the UK taxpayer paid the tiniest proportion of both the development costs (I think you'll find the US department of defense footed most of the bill here!) or indeed the international infrastructure costs (telecomms providers have put up most of the money here and very few are truly state owned and certainly BT long since ceased to be funded by the UK Taxpayer). A bigger pile of BS I have not seen in a while!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now we are getting to the crux. You openly admit that if big corparations paid more Uk tax they would pass the cost onto the consumer. Fine, let me make that choice. Do you really think it's fair that Starbuck's has a competitive tax adavantage over a local coffee house by virtue of their expensive accountants? It's anti-competitive and puts us all at the mercy of these global mega corparations.

Also their coffee is awful.

Let them pass the cost on to the consumer; then we will see the true price. And as you say, it will let the smaller guys play on a more level playing field. Also, If a business has to pay a wage which people cannot live on and/or no corporation tax to survive then it has no right to be a viable business.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
??? Really? I think you'll find that although all the protocols for the modern internet were designed by a Brit, the UK taxpayer paid the tiniest proportion of both the development costs (I think you'll find the US department of defense footed most of the bill here!) or indeed the international infrastructure costs (telecomms providers have put up most of the money here and very few are truly state owned and certainly BT long since ceased to be funded by the UK Taxpayer). A bigger pile of BS I have not seen in a while!

I do not know the details of the Internet but the principle of the argument was sound. See my point about education and well being of their staff.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Dammit, if you are right I've been fed some BS then. Point still stands RE infrastructure though. Companies are more than willing to reap the benefits of a healthy, educated workforce paid for in the main by the taxpayer but are unwilling to contribute to it or its upkeep. That can't be right.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Let them pass the cost on to the consumer; then we will see the true price. And as you say, it will let the smaller guys play on a more level playing field. Also, If a business has to pay a wage which people cannot live on and/or no corporation tax to survive then it has no right to be a viable business.

Corporation Tax is a tax on company profits... Many companies should be paying no corporation tax because they shouldn't be making a profit. See my earlier post about supplying school dinners. If this were done by a not-for-profit organisation then they have failed and shouldn't be viable if they DID pay corporation tax, because, by definition, that means they made a profit and broke their charter.

(I'm not include Amazon, Google or Starbucks in this, but if we had a better framework for the creation of companies in this country then, not paying corporation tax would not be a stick to beat companies with)

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
I have many teacher friends.
All of them say you can spot the kids that will turn out this way before they are ten.
I think the parents need education once highlighted their family are potential liabilities.
The teachers should not be afraid to tell parents they are a waste of air.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Surely it's not beyond our collective mental capabilities as a country to try and tax big corporations properly AND reduce benefit culture at the same time.

Both are wrong.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Dammit, if you are right I've been fed some BS then. Point still stands RE infrastructure though. Companies are more than willing to reap the benefits of a healthy, educated workforce paid for in the main by the taxpayer but are unwilling to contribute to it or its upkeep. That can't be right.

JANET, the Joint Academic Network (set up to allow academics to chat electronically with each other) was the real pre-cursor of the internet, but the idea of bouncing messages in small packets via multiple routes and being able to rebuild the message even if there was a catastrophic loss in the number of nodes relaying messages (the protocol for the internet today), was built for the US Department of Defense so that it could continue fighting World War 3 once it had started.After it was declassified, it was finally shown that a Brit had designed the system long before the US were using it, but the cost was borne by our friends in the colonies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Corporation Tax is a tax on company profits... Many companies should be paying no corporation tax because they shouldn't be making a profit. See my earlier post about supplying school dinners. If this were done by a not-for-profit organisation then they have failed and shouldn't be viable if they DID pay corporation tax, because, by definition, that means they made a profit and broke their charter.

(I'm not include Amazon, Google or Starbucks in this, but if we had a better framework for the creation of companies in this country then, not paying corporation tax would not be a stick to beat companies with)

I am not really sure I fully understand your argument. If a company chooses to be not-for-profit and reinvests any surplus money they make then fine. This is very different to assigning vague value to intellectual property and licenses which are traded between the same company but in different tax jurisdictions.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
38 year old mother of 7 Clare Bache says she cannot live on less than £32,000 a year benefits, call me old fashioned but once I'd checked that it wasn't 1st April, I watched bewildered, Lorraine and Aled looked concerned but ffs how have we let it get this bad?

How much do the father or fathers of the 7 contribute?

What example is she, and the aforementioned fathers, is she setting to those 7 kids?

Had enough money for two tattoos on her forearms!

It's all the scroungers' fault! Let's highlight this instead of the real issues facing society.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
How does this compare with the amount of money MPs draw from the public purse? I don't have the answer. Someone here might!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A symbol of the terrible state of the nation is surely in those who watch the dunceworthy Daybreak. I shan't ponder this woman's plight, but hope her children grow up relatively happily.
I was horrifed yesterday when reading about the water company avoiding corporation tax whilst still upping fees to the thirsty man and giving their bigwigs big bonuses. That's a symbol of the dastardly greed our governments tend to promote.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely it's not beyond our collective mental capabilities as a country to try and tax big corporations properly AND reduce benefit culture at the same time.

Both are wrong.

I agree. Too often this debate becomes a political football but the reality is we need a simple tax system that ensures both companies and individuals pay their fair share and receive the benefits that are appropriate (and affordable).

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
It's a lot of rot that Poles are uber dedicated and display a can do attitude unlike the Brits. Anyone glancing in our benefits offices, Prisons and our A&E departments will see there are a lot of drunks, tea leaves and dossers among them too. I have a mate who is a cop in Peterborough and he reckons they spend half their lives nicking Polish shoplifters and pissheads.

That's not to say that there isn't a huge army of them on the buildings and working in Starbucks and doing a great job but they don't come from a utopian society of hard working well educated supermen. Poland is a dump with huge alcohol problems, neo naziism and health problems.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
How does this compare with the amount of money MPs draw from the public purse? I don't have the answer. Someone here might!

Well it's a approx. £45 million in salary p.a and £90 million in expenses. Plus all the other stuff that is probably incalculable ie. the cost of parliament and everything surrounding it. I reckon they cost us about a billion.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's a lot of rot that Poles are uber dedicated and display a can do attitude unlike the Brits. Anyone glancing in our benefits offices, Prisons and our A&E departments will see there are a lot of drunks, tea leaves and dossers among them too. I have a mate who is a cop in Peterborough and he reckons they spend half their lives nicking Polish shoplifters and pissheads.

That's not to say that there isn't a huge army of them on the buildings and working in Starbucks and doing a great job but they don't come from a utopian society of hard working well educated supermen. ** Poland is a dump with huge alcohol problems, neo naziism and health problems.

They must feel at home here then !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here