Numbers on the back of the new shirts are very difficult to see.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you trying to be awkward or just being a p..t

I'm trying to find out

IF YOU HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN THE SHIRTS YOU HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT?

I'm beginning to think you haven't, which would make me wonder who is awkward.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But were you sitting there last night thinking:-

'blimey I can't make out any of those numbers, it's lucky I'm an oldie and know who these people are'?

No, my son mentioned it, this thread on NSC and the common complaint from my wife's customers who know I am a BHA supporter.

Yes I went to the game, what gives the impression that I didnt?
The above.

I'm struggling to believe the validity of your complaint.
The morning after the first pre season friendly at home.

Who knows I may well send a missive off to Mr Barber on the 11th.
But I can't possible complain, or form any kind of opinion about the shirts till then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As promised the reply from Paul Barber;

Thank you for your email.

We are committed to the yellow numbering for the coming season. It is not
possible to change the design at this stage. The issue is not so much the
colour, it is that, for this season's design, we are not using a "patch" to
distinguish our stripes from the numbers. I do appreciate that this makes it
harder for some people to read but for others the different numbering and colour
is very popular. Next season, we move to a different shirt manufacturer so the
design will change.

Regards, Paul

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It seems that there is no chance of a rethink or change and am surprised that he says it is very popular. That is obviously as a shirt to wear rather than to see the players wearing on the pitch.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton

harder for some people to read but for others the different numbering and colour
design will change.

Regards, Paul

So, knowing it would be harder for people to read, you went ahead and done it anyway? Suits the club, sod the customer. Bit like closing the Queens road ticket office.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think I have a right to put this without someone on Nsc having a go at me for moaning.

I'm genuinely quite posses off at how ineligible the numbers are. I even wear wear my glasses to football but from wsu it's hard to see who's who sometimes and even with last yrs numbers numbers it was fairly hard to see everytime. It's not a case of not knowing the players it's a case of being miles away in wsu. Annoying design fail.

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I think I have a right to put this without someone on Nsc having a go at me for moaning.

I'm genuinely quite posses off at how ineligible the numbers are. I even wear wear my glasses to football but from wsu it's hard to see who's who sometimes and even with last yrs numbers university was fairly hard to see everytime. It's not a case of not knowing the players it's a case of being miles away in wsu. Annoying design fail.

Did Orlandi really play yesterday? ----- and who was that muscular bloke on the wing--shirley not Buckley

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

design will change.

Regards, Paul

So, Errea don't even get a chance to win the shirt contract for next season then?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
So, Errea don't even get a chance to win the shirt contract for next season then?

Presumably they did bid, but were outbid by someone else.

Whoever it is, the deal is already done and has been for a while now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess we can assume it'll be a bigger brand than Errea.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was told this evening that the ref made the teams change shirts at half time on Saturday because he couldnt see the numbers of the Brighton players not sure if that is true but if it is perhaps the club will be forced to rethink the numbers or perhaps outline them in black.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was told this evening that the ref made the teams change shirts at half time on Saturday because he couldnt see the numbers of the Brighton players not sure if that is true but if it is perhaps the club will be forced to rethink the numbers or perhaps outline them in black.

Why does a referee need to see the numbers other than to caution or send-off? Or is to to do with accumulation of petty fouls? But in either case, surely a ref is close enough to the action and can stop the game?

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'm pretty certain that they announced in our lounge BEFORE the game, that they were switching kits at half time.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
The numbers were fine. The names were hard to read, but then, why do you need to know the name of the player? Or his number for that matter. It makes no difference when watching a game.

It is nice to know who has the ball when play is at the other side of the pitch and I can't make out which player it is. And I regularly look at the oppositions numbers to see who is who.

It is surely not that hard to work out why people want to be able to read the numbers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why does a referee need to see the numbers other than to caution or send-off? Or is to to do with accumulation of petty fouls? But in either case, surely a ref is close enough to the action and can stop the game?

Cautions and sendings off are pretty important reasons to want to be able to see the numbers, aren't they?

There's also the need to identify players from a distance, for instance where they play on and then go back to book them or just have a word with them. They also need to make sure they can identify the players just to make sure we haven't sneaked someone on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports