Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Numbers on the back of the new shirts are very difficult to see.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
With current technology, why can't the numbers flash as the players move like those kids trainers with flash heels ? I'd like that.Or could the players have a top hat with a number painted on it ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Truth probably is that whoever used to vet the kit for such things is no longer there and the panel got forgotten about. What's obvious to supporters clearly isn't to the wallies at the club.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The advert is on the panel, and the names are across the stripes. Dur!

Blue, white and yellow makes us look like Sheff Wed too...

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Typical.
Shirts get a blank panel on the back, NSC moans it looks bad.
Shirts get rid of blank panel, NSC moans the numbers can't be seen even before the season starts.

No moaning from me about the blank panel.

We need the blank panel!!!

From WSU I definitely need to see the numbers to be sure who's who. What's the point of having numbers if they're not readable from a distance?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can tell even from the upper stands who's who, so not too bothered myself.

This. Can easily spot say, Buckley, from his running style. Or CMS, from the fact the ball balloons off his shin because he was running towards the ball at 300mph.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This. Can easily spot say, Buckley, from his running style. Or CMS, from the fact the ball balloons off his shin because he was running towards the ball at 300mph.

Mostly this kind of thing. Its easier now they've broken up the gang of generic, tall, short-dark-haired midfielders - Sparrow, Vincelot, Dicker, Barnes - used to confuse them fairly often. (Actually less Barnes - he runs funny).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also....we do use formations. One of the things I LOVE about my WSU viewpoint is seeing the shape of the team, and through seeing that I can quite easily know which player is going to be where.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My kids identify the players by the colour and brand of their BOOTS - something I barely even notice. A generational thing perhaps.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Our dear friends at Selhurst used to have easily-readable white numbers on red and blue stripes. Then one season they put a blank red panel on the back with a blue number. Completely impossible to make out. :facepalm:

As for the suggestion of black numbers on blue and white stripes, I think you'll find that that's even worse than the yellow.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Need some good old fashioned RED numbering.

Either that or list players in the programme based on the colour of their boots.

Queens Park FC (Scotland) , the pioneers of the modern passing game, once had a kit where all the players had different coloured socks to help identification. #FACT

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't consider this "moaning". I should know what is moaning and what isn't! It's just a request to have shirt numbers that can be read from a distance. Is that too much to ask?

Taken in isolation, that seems a reasonable comment. My comment was in agreement with the one which stated that people moaned when we had a plain square background for the numbers, and now we have moans for the opposite. It just seems to prove you can't please all of the people all of the time.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
My dad said this at Lewes. I don't have any trouble distinguishing the players from the back of WSU, I just go by their gait, boots, build and skin colour.

Might take a while to get used to Barker, JFC, Maksimenko, Dickenson, March and Chicksen though!

Also, the numbers that are being used at the moment aren't the final ones, are they? The ones that are on the replica shirts do have a bit of an outline. The ones on the back of the shirts used in the friendlies so far have been lacking the outline.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here