Votes: 3 2.8%
  • David Cameron

Votes: 31 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
What a tricky tricky group.

However I have come to a conclusion which has shocked myself. I vote BARLOW....and I bloody love Take That and his new song is really rather CATCHY.

Beckham - Should never have even been nominated. What a bloke. The fact ONE person nominated him let alone TWO is BIZARRE.

Cameron - Far to easy to go "oh I'll vote for PM. He's a CJTC". The PM would have had to have been in a right SCANDEL for me to even consider it.

Watkins - No way. This is not the contest for him or Hall. This is a jovial award in which we are mocking someone for being a bit of a TIT in the last 12 months. Not for sexually ABUSING people.

So that leaves Gary. I don't even dislike him but you could argue his unncessary appearance on the Compare the Meerkat adverts has pushed him to a level of TITNESS this year.

As always - Mn12akaR effortlessly distills my exact opinion on the matter.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Raising awareness of AIDS?! What an utter cock.

He's in adverts for Sky, nothing wrong with earning a living. Sounds like your problem is with Murdoch rather than Beckham. And that 'slightly above average' player got over 350 caps in two of the best squads ever seen to date, so yeh, must be bang average.

He was in the right place at the right time. He scored a "wonder goal" and Sky lapped him up to feed their selling of dishes and decoders.
If he was such a good player, why could he not inspire the England team to greatness? Because he was not actually all that good.
I am sure he is a jolly nice chap (cheats on his wife though, but that is evidently forgivable), but as a footballer, he was average mostly, sometimes quite good, very occasionally inspired (by occasionally, I mean once), but mostly disappointing (please see World Cup Quarter Finals).
And never forget that the "greatest manager of all time" got shot.
It is my humble opinion that he is the most overrated player that England have ever had. That is why he epitomises what is wrong with English football - we are forced to accept the mediocre as greats. He is the self-fulfilling Sky prophecy - if they say he is brilliant enough times, people believe it. Then they wonder why England never win anything.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Raising awareness of AIDS?! What an utter cock.

He's in adverts for Sky, nothing wrong with earning a living. Sounds like your problem is with Murdoch rather than Beckham. And that 'slightly above average' player got over 350 caps in two of the best squads ever seen to date, so yeh, must be bang average.

No problem with him and Victoria raising awareness of AIDS, my problem is with pinning ribbons on a 7 year old and putting him in the spotlight too.. " Dad, why am wearing a ribbon tonight ? I don't wear one any other time ? " Those kids should be out of the spotlight and allowed a childhood instead of going in to the family business before puberty.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Don't rate any of this group as a CJTC, and convicted criminals should really lose their eligibility anyway.

So I'll abstain from this group.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Nope the problem is people who nominated Barlow and Beckham need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Beckham yes Barlow NO, he is well qualified for this tournament, the greasy little tax dodger.

Dec 29, 2011
No problem with him and Victoria raising awareness of AIDS, my problem is with pinning ribbons on a 7 year old and putting him in the spotlight too.. " Dad, why am wearing a ribbon tonight ? I don't wear one any other time ? " Those kids should be out of the spotlight and allowed a childhood instead of going in to the family business before puberty.
So he shouldn't go out with his family? If Victoria and him were wearing a ribbon but their kids weren't, you know the media could make a big deal out of that too. Anything he does he'll lose. Just accept he wants to raise awareness for AIDS, and if that means his millionaire kids have to wear a ribbon (oh the horror) then so be it.
He was in the right place at the right time. He scored a "wonder goal" and Sky lapped him up to feed their selling of dishes and decoders.
If he was such a good player, why could he not inspire the England team to greatness? Because he was not actually all that good.

Still sounds like your problem is with Sky and not Becks. Is a player's ability measured by the level of success their national team has achieved? I guess that means Bale, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic etc are all poor in your opinion too? It's a team sport, saying he was overrated because he didn't inspire success is a pretty poor argument.

I think people are just trying to find reasons not to like him. He's a good role model in the modern game. His eagerness to help those less fortunate and raise awareness for causes isn't something that should be criticized just because the byproduct of popularity is advertising deals.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So he shouldn't go out with his family? If Victoria and him were wearing a ribbon but their kids weren't, you know the media could make a big deal out of that too. Anything he does he'll lose. Just accept he wants to raise awareness for AIDS, and if that means his millionaire kids have to wear a ribbon (oh the horror) then so be it.

Still sounds like your problem is with Sky and not Becks. Is a player's ability measured by the level of success their national team has achieved? I guess that means Bale, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic etc are all poor in your opinion too? It's a team sport, saying he was overrated because he didn't inspire success is a pretty poor argument.

I think people are just trying to find reasons not to like him. He's a good role model in the modern game. His eagerness to help those less fortunate and raise awareness for causes isn't something that should be criticized just because the byproduct of popularity is advertising deals.

Oh dear, I will simplify it for you . David Beckham is an ex footballer of disputed ability. He has retired, thank you and goodbye David. Enjoy a well earned retirement away from the glare of publicity ..... .....what ? Why are you still here ?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Apologies if anyone took offence to this poll, in hindsight it's very much toeing the line of decency. I didn't make the nominations though!

I call for the disqualification of all the paedophiles involved. It's not in the spirit of this quite frankly entertaining competition.

My vote goes to Cameron. Letting Gove loose on the nations' education system and slowly destructing the nhs is enough for me.

Becks shouldn't be in the competition (his contribution to english football and the london olympic bid).
Watkins isn't worth anything, let alone a vote.
I last heard Gary Barlow sing when i was 14 so he's done me no harm for nearly 18 years now.

My bet is on a Gove v Blatter final which is too close to call.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Has he ever come out and said "actually, please don't make me out as a God, as I am not?". My final point is why I have a problem with him - the constant fawning over him as some sort of footballing genius is nauseating, incorrect and ultimately why England are failures as football. Whether that is his fault, frankly, I do not care - he is the poster boy for English football failure and should therefore have got a lot more than 3 votes in this competition.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Oh dear, I will simplify it for you . David Beckham is an ex footballer of disputed ability. He has retired, thank you and goodbye David. Enjoy a well earned retirement away from the glare of publicity ..... .....what ? Why are you still here ?

I agree,

I hate Beckham using his profile to raise awareness for children's charities also.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I agree,

I hate Beckham using his profile to raise awareness for children's charities also.

I think most of David's work is mutually beneficial to both his own profile and the charities. It would be somewhat credulous to suggest he is completely selfless in this regard.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think most of David's work is mutually beneficial to both his own profile and the charities. It would be somewhat credulous to suggest he is completely selfless in this regard.

Oh of course. But for me that is insignificant.

If ever there was a footballer who didn't need to do it, it is David Beckham.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Can we speed this thing up? I'm all for having a good length competition but ONE group per day is a bit on the SLOW side.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Can we speed this thing up? I'm all for having a good length competition but ONE group per day is a bit on the SLOW side.

I’ll second that. 2 Groups a day I reckon. This is slower than John Harley currently.

Sort it out Whingey.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Where is group D?

This. And WTF happened to the chocolate bar championship? This is turning into the FARCE of the Greatest Dessert contest from a few years ago.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Shit I completely forgot about this.

Right, the paedophiles are out, they shouldn't have been in to begin with.

Resuscitation attempts on this competition begin when I'm back from work circa 6.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here