Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Stand Standing - message from removed fan

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Which effects who? The fans and possibly players on the pitch. I wouldn't think the club gives a fiddlers fart about that type of action but reduced income is another matter, in fact cash is king and the only card fans can use without recourse.

Income is the correct answer and perhaps have a sit-in as well on the concourse floor.

Feb 14, 2010
OP should've sat down like he was told to.

He should not have been asked to. The club really does need to get away from this lower league mentality and learn from clubs like Spurs who actively encourage fans in a certain area to stand up, sing and create a proper atmosphere. Amusing to think that this week Alex Ferguson urged Old Trafford to do just the same.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
OP should've sat down like he was told to.

thats right everyone should sit neatly wearing the same type of clothes politely clapping and when not clapping on cue waving little flags (blue and white striped ones of coarse) and when leaving walk in line two at a time, politely bow to the nice stewards and police.

yeh!! like f**K
what is this place becoming North Korea

this sort of thing really makes me angry that I am becoming old and am unable to get to any games
but the upshot is while I am listening to "player" and the Albion score a goal I can stand and punch the air and jump about (much as I can) without the permission of some blockhead steward .

those who seem to be in charge are turning my club into the MU of North Korea

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Brilliant. So you haven't properly read or understood the majority of this thread have you.

Lazy post. I've read every single word on every single page of the thread and have given my opinion based on my understanding of the rules, which appear to have been breached. I didn't say I felt a season ban was fair, and the video clearly showed lots of people standing up who were also breaching the rules. The point is that he should've sat down when told to by the steward i.e. the authority within the stadium, whose terms and conditions he has entered into when purchasing a ticket.

It goes back to the sense of entitlement that football fans have because they've paid £26 a ticket. It is similar to my field of work, the theatre, where groups of brazen young women turn up hammered on hen nights having paid £30-£60 to some shows (Mamma Mia!, Dirty Dancing, Flashdance, Ghost: The Musical, Viva Forever! etc etc etc), trying to smuggle in alcohol, shouting out during the performance and generally being a drunken nuisance to everybody else. There was even an instance recently where someone urinated in the corner of the auditorium! They feel they have bought the right to behave that way.

People pay X for a ticket and they think they are buying the right to behave they THEY deem to be acceptable, not within the rules established when they buy a ticket. A ticket grants you entry to a match provided you abide by the rules. Failure to abide by the rules, even if "everyone else is ignoring them" is likely to leave the risk of being ejected and possibly banned. You buy a ticket, you get entry. You abide by the rules. If you don't, you leave yourself open to be punished. If he's stood for two years without being punished until now he is lucky and can consider himself fortunate rather than a victim.

Don't stand up excessively/talk back to the stewards/refuse to let someone search your bag etc etc etc and you'll never get ejected. Just turn up and enjoy the match. It's so much simpler...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
thats right everyone should sit neatly wearing the same type of clothes politely clapping and when not clapping on cue waving little flags (blue and white striped ones of coarse) and when leaving walk in line two at a time, politely bow to the nice stewards and police.

yeh!! like f**K

this sort of thing really makes me angry that I am becoming old and am unable to get to any games
but the upshot is while I am listening to "player" and the Albion score a goal I can stand and punch the air and jump about (much as I can) without the permission of some blockhead steward .

those who seem to be in charge are turning my club into the MU of North Korea

You don't need permission to celebrate a goal at a match, either. In fact I go mental when we score. The issue is standing throughout the match, non-stop, which is contrary to the terms and conditions. Now, the OP was asked to sit down at which point (bearing in mind he was being told to do so because he was in breach of the rules) he should've sat down and that would've been the end of the matter. Instead he seemingly had an altercation with the stewards, and some people have mentioned the language got heated. If he'd have sat down when asked none of this would've happened - or better still if he hadn't breached the "constant standing" rule in the first place.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
yeh!! like f**K

Even when Kim Jong-un paid a visit to a military base earlier in the week they all stood up and jumped around thinking he was Lloyd Owusu.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Lazy post. I've read every single word on every single page of the thread and have given my opinion based on my understanding of the rules, which appear to have been breached. I didn't say I felt a season ban was fair, and the video clearly showed lots of people standing up who were also breaching the rules. The point is that he should've sat down when told to by the steward i.e. the authority within the stadium, whose terms and conditions he has entered into when purchasing a ticket.

It goes back to the sense of entitlement that football fans have because they've paid £26 a ticket. It is similar to my field of work, the theatre, where groups of brazen young women turn up hammered on hen nights having paid £30-£60 to some shows (Mamma Mia!, Dirty Dancing, Flashdance, Ghost: The Musical, Viva Forever! etc etc etc), trying to smuggle in alcohol, shouting out during the performance and generally being a drunken nuisance to everybody else. There was even an instance recently where someone urinated in the corner of the auditorium! They feel they have bought the right to behave that way.

People pay X for a ticket and they think they are buying the right to behave they THEY deem to be acceptable, not within the rules established when they buy a ticket. A ticket grants you entry to a match provided you abide by the rules. Failure to abide by the rules, even if "everyone else is ignoring them" is likely to leave the risk of being ejected and possibly banned. You buy a ticket, you get entry. You abide by the rules. If you don't, you leave yourself open to be punished. If he's stood for two years without being punished until now he is lucky and can consider himself fortunate rather than a victim.

Don't stand up excessively/talk back to the stewards/refuse to let someone search your bag etc etc etc and you'll never get ejected. Just turn up and enjoy the match. It's so much simpler...

Oh dear, you actually have read the thread then and still think the fan in question was in the wrong. You sound like a steward to me.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

To be honest, judging by some of the moronic comments on here I'd be quite pleased if a few more get bans. Just because they can't do what they want, when they want and for how long they want, they throw their toys out of the pram. This perception that the atmosphere at the Amex hinges solely on whether 10% of the crowd can stand is ludicrous. Furthermore some of the comments on here suggesting that if you can't stand for the whole match then the only alternative is to sit quietly, all wearing the same clothes blah blah blah beggar belief and make you question the intelligence of those posters! The West Upper has no problem with the concept of all seater stadium and regularly rise to their feet and make a lot of noise. No doubt the north standers will pooh pooh that idea as it flies in the face their basic human right to stand. Get a life FFS. If standing is so important then get involved with a dialogue with the club as to why they are perceived to impose the seating rule more than other clubs. At the end of the day, the club have to answer to their local authority with regard to the safety cert, not the local authority in Manchester or Tottenham.

Feb 14, 2010
Have you noticed that when Drew argues he calls people "morons". Always a tactic of those who have lost the argument to throw an insult. I'd love to have seen Drew call Alex Ferguson a moron or the Chief Executive at Spurs who oversees Premier League football year in year out and who encourage their fans to create an atmosphere instead of throwing them out.

Now, the OP was asked to sit down at which point (bearing in mind he was being told to do so because he was in breach of the rules) he should've sat down and that would've been the end of the matter. Instead he seemingly had an altercation with the stewards, and some people have mentioned the language got heated. If he'd have sat down when asked none of this would've happened - or better still if he hadn't breached the "constant standing" rule in the first place.
If he'd have sat down, I'm fairly sure that the stewards would have turned their attention to another standing supporter nearby. The facts of the matter are that MOST of the people in that area of the North Stand are on their feet for MOST of the game - not because they want to "defy the rules", but because that is standard behaviour at most games.

The issue is whether it makes any sense to pick out individual supporters for exclusion, as a means of changing the behaviour of hundreds of people doing exactly the same. I don't think it does.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh dear, you actually have read the thread then and still think the fan in question was in the wrong. You sound like a steward to me.

Maybe you haven't read the whole thread then. This isn't about one fan who has or hasn't been unfairly banned. It is about the principle of people standing in the north stand and what some think they should go about achieving that.

The guy that has been banned should be taking it up with the club and appealling and maybe getting the FSF involved rather than trying to stoke up animosity between fans and club. Let's be honest, the clubs stance will have been endorsed by Tony Bloom and we can ill afford to piss him off with some campaign of disobedience.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It may not be worth anything but my opinion

:Atmosphere is SIGNIFICANTLY affected when people sit, I sit in the middle of the North stand row V and the front of the north stand seem to sing a lot less when they are sitting down.

:Making an example of one person when there was hundreds of people standing up is absolutely disgraceful from the clubs point of view

:I was told by whoever led the presentations before we chose our seats that standing will be TOLERATED towards the back of the stand and not to choose in this stand if you weren't prepared for the rowdiness.

:WHY do the club only concentrate on our fans? Countless teams this season, Millwall, Leeds that I can think of the whole lot stand and the stewards do absolutely nothing, ever, I have never even seen them attempt to stop them standing.

:I personally feel the club are disrespecting fans by banning them here there and everywhere, wish they'd remember that we have a NEW fanbase and you alienate one fan and ban him for life, you possibly lose his children then their children's support, may sound dramatic but the club needs to think about what is really worthy of a life ban, because picking on someone out of hundreds of people and banning them for the season is a disgusting way to treat a fan.

Its a slippery slope if this 'example' thats been made, which is bang out of order, is seen more often because there is hundreds of people in the North Stand who I know around me and infront of me that will not sit down, so they will end up banning and alienating a lot of true albion fans and albion singers, when people say you dont need people standing to have an atmosphere I disagree with this a lot, especially at the AMEX, I'm sure anyone in the North will know what I mean. No standing = North stand mostly quiet, maybe sad, but true. Anyway thats just my pennyworth, I'm sure I'll feel the wroth. :laugh:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have you noticed that when Drew argues he calls people "morons". Always a tactic of those who have lost the argument to throw an insult. I'd love to have seen Drew call Alex Ferguson a moron or the Chief Executive at Spurs who oversees Premier League football year in year out and who encourage their fans to create an atmosphere instead of throwing them out.

Marvellous scientific analysis.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You don't need permission to celebrate a goal at a match, either. In fact I go mental when we score. The issue is standing throughout the match, non-stop, which is contrary to the terms and conditions. Now, the OP was asked to sit down at which point (bearing in mind he was being told to do so because he was in breach of the rules) he should've sat down and that would've been the end of the matter. Instead he seemingly had an altercation with the stewards, and some people have mentioned the language got heated. If he'd have sat down when asked none of this would've happened - or better still if he hadn't breached the "constant standing" rule in the first place.

"constant standing" at a football match
but when I sit and watch
a) the away fans at the Amex
b)most other matches on the TV
there are loads of people standing at football matches
as I said in a previous post I will await the reaction at the next home match
a) from the club
b)from the stewards
c) the away fans when and if they are told to sit down

if the away fan(s) refuse to sit down and the stewards wade in and start dragging them out then I will think the club are going down the right route otherwise as I said it smack a little like North Korea

Even when Kim Jong-un paid a visit to a military base earlier in the week they all stood up and jumped around thinking he was Lloyd Owusu.

yep I saw that and the few women that were there try to project their kids at him

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
"constant standing" at a football match
but when I sit and watch
a) the away fans at the Amex
b)most other matches on the TV
there are loads of people standing at football matches
as I said in a previous post I will await the reaction at the next home match
a) from the club
b)from the stewards
c) the away fans when and if they are told to sit down

if the away fan(s) refuse to sit down and the stewards wade in and start dragging them out then I will think the club are going down the right route otherwise as I said it smack a little like North Korea

yep I saw that and the few women that were there try to project their kids at him

It was a good job he wasn't feeling hungry as a couple of the kids would have ended up in his meat stew later that day.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Obviously the way to get it changed is to individually refuse any stewards request to sit down, whilst your friend encourages everyone else around to stand.

That'll show them

Oct 11, 2005
London
The guy that has been banned should be taking it up with the club and appealling and maybe getting the FSF involved rather than trying to stoke up animosity between fans and club. Let's be honest, the clubs stance will have been endorsed by Tony Bloom and we can ill afford to piss him off with some campaign of disobedience.

I agree - he should definitely be taking it up with the club and getting the FSF's help. But he also has every right to let people know on NSC how he's been mistreated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here