Non Brightonians/ Non "Southerners" why do you support the Albion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My daughter would say.....

The only time Ive been to Brighton was two days before I was born. We left England when I was three months but dad had me saying seagulls as one of my first words. When I was four Daddy showed me a video of Gully's Girls and I loved them and for my birthday Daddy got me my pink and white stripes. Ive seen two Albion games on the telly, though I did ask daddy why we supported a team that scored only one goal while the other team got six. He said because its our home team. Kids at my school think Im funny because I dont support Fenerbahce, Galatasaray or Besiktas but they all know now who the Seagulls are! (Aleyna K, aged nearly 6)

zuidgull

Aug 6, 2011
Hilton, KZN, South Africa
Dad was born in worthing, as was my grandad so were both fans. Despite living in Sussex for the first 3 years of my life I obviously have no recollection of being local. Was purely my dad taking me to the goldstone from about 6 years old that did it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Almost identical reason
Except only lived in Worthing for a year from about the age of 1 until 2

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Moved into Sussex aged 8 (1965) when my parents divorced. I went to Brighton games with my new friends, despite me being a Chelsea fan (and also supported Palace as well to keep my Dad happy). Became a Brighton fan by a process of osmosis. It is funny that probably the most upset I've ever been at the result of a football match was when 'we' (Chelsea) lost the 1967 Cup Final to Spurs. Now I don't give shit about them, indeed I probably dislike them more than any other club.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I was born and bought up around Biggin Hill and Bromley. Very much Palace and Millwall territory. My dad is from Polegate so i always looked out for the Albions results but as he worked away I never went to a game with him when i was young and 'supported' Manchester United.

However, at the age of 12 something changed and i fell in love with Brighton. I had no connection to
utd and although my Dad was abroad it just felt right to follow his team. Palace and Millwall never entered my mind!! I was the only Albion fan in my school and teamed up with a Cardiff fan who was also the only one. We then went to a load of games at Withdean one week and Ninian Park the next. I remember when i first walked down the south stand at Withdean when we played Bournemouth in about 2003 turning to my mate and just saying 'I'm home'. For some reason it just felt right!!

Nearly 12 years later I have been a 'proper' supported for half my life and had my first season ticket a few years back. I've now moved to Reading and had a son who has had both Albion kits since he was born. I also taught him, seagulls, go brighton and Gus Poyet. Hopefully he will grow up Albion as well but id understand, if not forgive, if he supported Reading.

The Mrs (Reading born and bred) is now getting the Albion bug as well but she has a thing for Gus and Gary Dicker. She is loving the fact that I am happy on Saturday's now rather than the dark(er) days of near relegation and losing most weeks!

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I was born in the North, grew up in the South West and like a lot of people drifted into Brighton in the 90s. For me, it was the home town I never had.

I love this city and will be here til I die. That's why I support the Albion.

Because I have lived here since 1986, because family history shows relatives here in 1800. Because wherever I lived, I would support the local club too. Although since I wasn't born here and I have Green tendencies, Tory councillors like Linda Hyde don't think I have any right to views about the city! I have no intention of moving back to Luton anytime soon.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Born and bred in Littlehampton then Ringmer but circumstances meant after I moved away in early 30s (my eldest son is autistic and there is a great school near here for him) I am still in St Helens. My youngest son came with me to a game at Wigan where we lost 3-0 several years ago (Liddle hat-trick) and I thought "that's it, he won't fancy this again" but he is now hooked and proudly wears his Albion shirt around the town -even after coming back from Anfield two weeks ago - and when he is at Uni in Birmingham. I didn't make him support the Albion, it was his choice. But I am absolutely delighted!

Shoreham_Boy

Feb 24, 2012
I moved down here from Sheffield 4 years ago. I used to be a season ticket at Bramall Lane until I was 21 (when I left the city). I have kept track of The Seagulls over the last few years and took the plunge and bought a season ticket this year, just because I love going to the game and love the social side of things.

I still count Sheffield United as my number one team, there's no questioning that, and I attend games where possible. For example, I am off to Brentford next Saturday and giving my ticket for the Pompey game to a genuine Seagull. However, I do still care enough about BHA to go to the games and get in to it and generally care about the matches they play.

HoveSeagull

Oct 14, 2011
Hove, surprisingly
Born and raised in St Helens.
Moved down to the High Weald of Sussex in 1989, before moving to Brighton in 1991.
My then future father-in-law took me to the Goldstone in 1992. Sat in the South Stand next to the away fans
Never looked back....
Still have a soft spot for Liverpool tho'.

:albion2:

Last edited:

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Oh and this day helped me realise Brighton is the only place for me ,on and off the terraces :)

[yt]ugn5d-29-Og&feature=related[/yt]

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I live in deep Millwall territory and after that Palace are the
Next closest but my 5 year old sth is more fanatical than i can remember myself ever being before my teens despite training at the lions academy. His 2 year old brother has done his first 2 games this season and is already obsessed. Without the amex i am convinced they would be completely indifferent to us.

My son was wearing his Brighton shirt around peckham last weekend, it got a lot of attention in the local cafe on bellenden rd, i said to him "son, you don't get many Brighton fans around peckham" maybe i was wrong.....

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Originally from deepest darkest walworth/peckham, then my mum moved to hastings 6 years ago, we followed and stayed for 1 year(that was enough), during that time my son and daughter joined gully's gang(for all the free stuff) and now im paying for it (i love going more than him), now we live in Tonbridge and hes not the only Brighton fan in the town.....

:albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2:

D

Deleted User X18H

Oh and this day helped me realise Brighton is the only place for me ,on and off the terraces :)

[yt]ugn5d-29-Og&feature=related[/yt]

What the day no-one could move around the town and it took me 2 hours to get home from Waterhall?

Says it all!!

D

Deleted User X18H

Because I have lived here since 1986, because family history shows relatives here in 1800. Because wherever I lived, I would support the local club too. Although since I wasn't born here and I have Green tendencies, Tory councillors like Linda Hyde don't think I have any right to views about the city! I have no intention of moving back to Luton anytime soon.

Poor old Linda she has been mis-quoted.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
This is prompted by a comment by another poster that they were brought up in Ilkley.

I would love to know from those of you who are not Brightonians or Sussex/South East born and bred what prompted you to support the Albion?

That's all really.

That was me I believe, unless there is another Ilkley raised Seagull on here (quite a few Brighton fans in Ilkley - I guess it's the sort of place that people from the Sussex area would choose to relocate to if moving ooop north, but unaware of any NSC posters...)
Dad was Henfield born and bred and a season ticket holder with grandad, mum was Horsham as are most of my extended family still. Mr bro and I were born in Horsham and we all moved up to Ilkley in early 80's when the government was trying to spread the civil service jobs around the country and Leeds seemed to be third destination of choice.
We went to watch Bradford quite a lot (Leeds was more expensive, harder to get to and had violence problems back then), but we always went to Brighton away matches when we could and always went in the away end at City when Brighton were at VParade.
Despite the distance it just stuck being a Seagull fan, the elation when winning and the feeling in your gut when we loose, just never went away and never will! My nephew who is 5 and lives in Ilkley is mad on Brighton, which is great - most of his class mates support Man Utd, Leeds and the odd Bradford shirt can be seen. But oddly in a school of about 100 pupils there's another Brighton fan in the year above his, so he has an allie!
Here's hoping for 6 points from the next 2 matches and maybe a jolly down to Wembley! SEAGULLS!!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I was born in Reading, but moved to Brighton in 1980. Went to my first game, Brighton v Liverpool, in October 1981, and was hooked.

Family moved up to Merseyside in the summer of 1983 and I've not lived in Sussex since. But the 1981/82 and 1982/83 seasons, thankfully, created an Albion obsession :thumbsup:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
studied abroad at Sussex uni. I could hear the noise from the first league game at the amex from deep inside the campus and decided that was something I should not miss. Bought tickets for the next game which was against Gillingham, was hooked after that. I've been converting my friends and family now that I'm back in the US to follow the albion instead of the typical Manchester/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea fan base that is found over here

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports