Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Brightonians/ Non "Southerners" why do you support the Albion?

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Born in liverpool , never been to anfield , watched Chester a few times over the years but never really caught the bug , moved down south 8 years ago went to withdean with a friend and just enjoyed it so much i went when the cash allowed , saved up for my season ticket for this season and have loved every minute of it , even the P taking hikers eh eh eh calm down rapscallions that sit behind me, its a great club to support i should of moved years ago :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Legend.

My son's teacher is a Southampton Season Ticket holder and was not best pleased when he turned up for school on 3rd January in his full Albion KIT.
Marvellous scenes.

And if YOUR son ever commented on some of the VI form desks being adorned with scratched pics of seagulls or BHAFC, that was me also. :thumbsup:

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
A combination of things really - My wife's family when she was growing up lived in Goldstone Crescent and I now sit with her brother and his son at the Amex. I was born and raised in Stoke and watched them (when they played some decent stuff in the late 60's and early 70's) as a lad before moving to West Sussex. I went randomly to see each of my 'local' teams and was most captivated by Peter Ward as he reminded me of my fave Stoke player Jimmy Greenhoff. Back then I played Saturday footy with 3 mad Albion fans - 1 was Hiney off here and 1 of the others Will I now car share with and his son Eddie. Brighton just felt right as well - yes even in the wind and rain at the Withdean and now it's great just being at the Amex with family and friends sharing our matchdays together.

Five and a half years after first moving to Brighton, I found myself living in a bedsit in Hove and the guy in the next room suggested a walk along Old Shoreham Road to see the Brighton Aces. I had nothing better to do that evening.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
moved here innit

hastings

Jan 15, 2010
Suffolk
Born and lived all my life in Ipswich. Follwed the ablion due to my dad, who equally was born and lived in Ipswich but supports them due to an old uncle and aunt who lived in Brighton and later Hove.

Obviously this week has been an enjoyable one.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Born in Cheltenham, moved to Sussex aged 8, I think. A few years later a neighbour took me to my first game, and that was it.

Five and a half years after first moving to Brighton, I found myself living in a bedsit in Hove and the guy in the next room suggested a walk along Old Shoreham Road to see the Brighton Aces. I had nothing better to do that evening.

Probably a bit of an exaggeration but the fate of the club could possibly have hinged (a bit) on that fateful evening.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
As you know, my kids are going to the same schools in Reigate as you did and are being FORCED into being Albion fans by me.

Yeah I remember you saying. Certainly nothing wrong with forcing your team on your children, well I hope not anyway as I intend to do exactly the same!

Like I’ve said before there’s always been a few Albion fans in Reigate, never as many as I would have liked but hopefully with this teacher flying the blue and white flag, he’ll be able to influence some of these young minds! Saying that, if my memory serves me right the Assistant head is a massive Hammers fan.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
As you know, my kids are going to the same schools in Reigate as you did and are being FORCED into being Albion fans by me.

Mind you, the head of year 4 at Reigate Priory school is a massive Albion fan, and has a FLAG from the Donny game adorning his wall in his classroom. Top work.

Yeah I remember you saying. Certainly nothing wrong with forcing your team on your children, well I hope not anyway as I intend to do exactly the same!

Like I’ve said before there’s always been a few Albion fans in Reigate, never as many as I would have liked but hopefully with this teacher flying the blue and white flag, he’ll be able to influence some of these young minds! Saying that, if my memory serves me right the Assistant head is a massive Hammers fan.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Ditto my kids. Brainwashed from birth :)

It is not brainwashing but education. Same here I'm Sussex born and bred but my children are not they were given the choice when they took an interest in football, support Brighton or move out :smile:.
Have now completed their education by moving back to Sussex and they both love it and happily declare themselves and "Men of Sussex".

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
My dad's side of the family are all Brightonians, in '79 (I was an impressionable seven year old at the time) and I got sent the Bukta home shirt and I've never looked back since.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There's a guy who goes to the Sydney Seagulls meet-ups who only supports the Albion because he lives in a place called Brighton in Australia. I don't think he's even visited the UK.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Legend.

My son's teacher is a Southampton Season Ticket holder and was not best pleased when he turned up for school on 3rd January in his full Albion KIT.

How did his teacher get dressed without realising?

AndSmithMustScore

Feb 6, 2012
Horsham
Brighton v Palarse my first game in 1976..............it was either support a shite team or support Brighton.........they didn't win that game but won my support forever.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That's what I thought.

I'm an EXILE.

My two sons mind, are both STH, and have never lived in Sussex, so they would meet his criteria. Obviously, the answer, in their case is that I MADE them....

Same here with my son, "because that's the team his dad takes him to the most."

However, technically he does call Brighton his second team, as his first team is .... Ebbsfleet Utd, which is the nearest team to where we live. The Ebbsfleet thing was his call, not mine, however it's probably my "support your local team" gene that has caused it.

omgitsjames

Nov 24, 2011
California
studied abroad at Sussex uni. I could hear the noise from the first league game at the amex from deep inside the campus and decided that was something I should not miss. Bought tickets for the next game which was against Gillingham, was hooked after that. I've been converting my friends and family now that I'm back in the US to follow the albion instead of the typical Manchester/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea fan base that is found over here

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
studied abroad at Sussex uni. I could hear the noise from the first league game at the amex from deep inside the campus and decided that was something I should not miss. Bought tickets for the next game which was against Gillingham, was hooked after that. I've been converting my friends and family now that I'm back in the US to follow the albion instead of the typical Manchester/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea fan base that is found over here

I like this one, we need more International converters!

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Could never get into Scottish football as a kid but was intrigued by the more competitive English leagues when I moved down here and made friends with fans of English teams. I was an armchair supporter (as in occasionally remembered to check the results in the paper) of QPR when I lived in W12 and Arsenal when I lived in N5 but it never really took. I transferred that "support" to Brighton when I moved to BN3 ten years ago and would probably have lived out my life being "interested" in the Albion, but the missus talked me into going to one of the presentations for prospective STHs last year...

So we're season ticket holders now. My first Albion game was Donny in August. It could never mean as much to me as it did to those who had been with the club through the dark days but there is no forgetting an experience like that. And now I'm Brighton 'til I die.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here