Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Brightonians/ Non "Southerners" why do you support the Albion?

This is prompted by a comment by another poster that they were brought up in Ilkley.

I would love to know from those of you who are not Brightonians or Sussex/South East born and bred what prompted you to support the Albion?

That's all really.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If they're not "not Brightonians or Sussex/South East born and bred", they're not really "exiles" are they?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If they're not "not Brightonians or Sussex/South East born and bred", they're not really "exiles" are they?

That's what I thought.

I'm an EXILE.

My two sons mind, are both STH, and have never lived in Sussex, so they would meet his criteria. Obviously, the answer, in their case is that I MADE them....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My two sons mind, are both STH, and have never lived in Sussex, so they would meet his criteria. Obviously, the answer, in their case is that I MADE them....

Good parent.

Sorry, I should have put - "Were not born and bred in Brighton, Sussex or within the South East". As you so rightly point out, if you weren't born there you cant really be and exile!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
A bit of a weird one for me. Never lived in Sussex, grew up in Reigate Surrey. My dad said to me and my brother in the mid nineties do you want to go to watch some football, he gave us the choice of Palace, the Dons and Brighton we chose Brighton and I’ve supported them ever since. My brother, feeling pretty disillusioned by our plight in the late nineties and the loss of the Goldstone, went to a few Gillingham games but chose to follow Chelsea with his mates.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Dad was born in worthing, as was my grandad so were both fans. Despite living in Sussex for the first 3 years of my life I obviously have no recollection of being local. Was purely my dad taking me to the goldstone from about 6 years old that did it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Portsmouth born, grew up watching Waterlooville FC (home town team), moved to London when they merged (never felt the same after), moved to Brighton, when my kids started to grow up wanted them to support their local team. I've been watching since Gus took over & loving it. Definitely call myself a Brighton fan now, and even follow Sussex in the cricket (much to the annoyance of my Hampshire based family!). I'm a footballing & cricketing Hobo!

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
No family connection with Sussex at all and remember the cup final and not really being that bothered about the Albion winning. Grew up in East Kent and used to go up to London to watch the Arsenal on the old north Bank and loved it. Then they turned it into all seater and that debenture thing and stopped going about the same time I moved to Brighton. Stood in the North Stand as a spectator rather than as a fan and slowly converted to the Albion. Funnily enough what really sealed my conversion was the whole selling of the ground and the struggle against Archer and co. Really made me angry and was full of praise for those at the heart of the battle. Now both sons born and bred in Hove and avid fans and season ticket holders.

yoda559

Feb 10, 2012
Newmarket
Although I was born and bred in Sussex, I have not lived in Sussex since 1990 when I joined to RAF.

Now I have kids, they too are being brought up as Brighton fans even though they have never lived in Sussex.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I was born and raised in Dorset but have lived in Brighton for the last 30 years. It was natural to suport our local team when we moved to Brighton, in fact very easy as our move coincided with the '83 cup run. I have supported the Albion ever since, highs and lows (and highs again).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Born in Nottingham, spent pretty well all my youth until I was 23 abroad and was an armchair Spurs fan. Moved to Brighton, was talked into going to watch Albion vs the very high profile Crystal Palace side managed by Malcolm Allison and featuring Peter Taylor as the golden boy of lower league football. So basically had recenty moved to Brighton but went to watch Palace :shock:

Enjoyed the match so much, night game with around 32000 crowd so started going a bit, then Peter Ward made the team and I've been hooked since.

It was interesting for me when we eventually played Spurs as I really wasn't sure who I'd support pre-kick off, it was obviously Albion and I have no interest in Spurs at all anymore.

*turncoat*

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
That's what I thought.

I'm an EXILE.

Ditto my kids. Brainwashed from birth :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A bit of a weird one for me. Never lived in Sussex, grew up in Reigate Surrey. My dad said to me and my brother in the mid nineties do you want to go to watch some football, he gave us the choice of Palace, the Dons and Brighton we chose Brighton and I’ve supported them ever since. My brother, feeling pretty disillusioned by our plight in the late nineties and the loss of the Goldstone, went to a few Gillingham games but chose to follow Chelsea with his mates.
As you know, my kids are going to the same schools in Reigate as you did and are being FORCED into being Albion fans by me.

Mind you, the head of year 4 at Reigate Priory school is a massive Albion fan, and has a FLAG from the Donny game adorning his wall in his classroom. Top work.

As you know, my kids are going to the same schools in Reigate as you did and are being FORCED into being Albion fans by me.

Mind you, the head of year 4 at Reigate Priory school is a massive Albion fan, and has a FLAG from the Donny game adorning his wall in his classroom. Top work.

He deserves an "outstanding" from Ofsted for that.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Legend.

My son's teacher is a Southampton Season Ticket holder and was not best pleased when he turned up for school on 3rd January in his full Albion KIT.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Born and Bred in Leeds.

Dad gave me a choice and said I should support Leeds.

I went to a few Leeds games as a kid mid 90's with some school mates hated every min of it. Dull 0-0 with Wimbledon and what was a really good game vs Roma.

Dad took me to Sunny Scunny during "that" season to see the Albion and got hooked!!!!!!!

Bled blue and white ever since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here