Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Brightonians/ Non "Southerners" why do you support the Albion?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Lived in Australia all my life but really got into supporting Brighton around 2002 when I came over with my dad(grew up in Brighton) to visit family. I decided to move to England at the start of this season and I'm loving it!

StevenH

Dec 7, 2007
Mosta, Malta
My older brother lived in Brighton some ten years ago, so we went over to visit him three times. I really enjoyed the city, and being a football nerd I felt it natural to "support" the local team. Just happened to catch the odd score the first few years, but since 2006 my interest has really grown. Now I listen to every match at the player, and had the great joy of attending my first Albion game last year, when we beat Swindon 2-1 at Withdean. Me and my brothers (both old and young actually) have had some talks of going over to watch a game at the Amex together, hopefully it will happen soon!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Ditto my kids. Brainwashed from birth :)

hehe...just like me...one of my earliest memories is of my dad telling me that as a Brighton fan, it was my 'duty' to dislike all things CPFC..i never looked back...

Cheers old fella!

studied abroad at Sussex uni. I could hear the noise from the first league game at the amex from deep inside the campus and decided that was something I should not miss. Bought tickets for the next game which was against Gillingham, was hooked after that. I've been converting my friends and family now that I'm back in the US to follow the albion instead of the typical Manchester/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea fan base that is found over here

And

My older brother lived in Brighton some ten years ago, so we went over to visit him three times. I really enjoyed the city, and being a football nerd I felt it natural to "support" the local team. Just happened to catch the odd score the first few years, but since 2006 my interest has really grown. Now I listen to every match at the player, and had the great joy of attending my first Albion game last year, when we beat Swindon 2-1 at Withdean. Me and my brothers (both old and young actually) have had some talks of going over to watch a game at the Amex together, hopefully it will happen soon!

Nice to read stories such as these

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Im from hove but I live near clapham junction. My nearest club is Chelsea, all the kids support them. Last week on the train back to Brighton from falmer after the game I told three Ipswich fans that I live in Chelsea but support the albion because I'm a glory hunter. I think one of them believed me.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Born in Brighton but lived most of my business/married life in Guildford where we brought up our family. I dragged my son, screaming, down to the Goldstone all his young life... once, at the age of about 8, he was a ballboy... I was so proud. I retired and came back to God's own county, living in Arundel... then lo and behold, my boy married and had a young family and move to Hove. I'm now as happy as a pig in s*** as we are both season tickets holders, side by side at the Amex and I cant tell you how much it means to have my sprog with me during these heady days. AND... he's got 2 very small boys who will soon get roped in. What a legacy is BAHA. Lovin' it!

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
I had you down as a Villa fan! Have you been converted?

Haha not converted mate! My mate would roll over in his grave if he knew I dumped the first team I support (even if it was for the Albion :lol: ) That being said I do follow the Albion just as much as Villa.....

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Brighton born & bred but fantastic thread and well done to all of you for supporting the Albion!

A well known Albion fan and pub traveller was in Kent a week or so back and found a little place called Merstham (?) and he was amazed to see an Albion flag flying there.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I was born and brought up in Berkshire and should probably be a Reading fan but my dad who's from Brighton took me to some games and I never looked back. Just can't imagine supporting anyone else. Could have turn out differently my Dad's family move to Brighton from Croydon - thank god. Doesn't bear thinking about!
The next generation is completely hooked too

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Simple. my passport says born in Wokingham, my life says first ever game, Brighton v Reading , 3 div , bank oliday, family. first time. W Stand, Alan Duffy x 2, simples, luv brighton since 1969, Donny manana, now live in platic MK.....................say no more

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Although I was born and bred in Sussex, I have not lived in Sussex since 1990 when I joined to RAF.

Now I have kids, they too are being brought up as Brighton fans even though they have never lived in Sussex.

Exactly the same as this, except substitute "university" for "RAF"...!

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
studied abroad at Sussex uni. I could hear the noise from the first league game at the amex from deep inside the campus and decided that was something I should not miss. Bought tickets for the next game which was against Gillingham, was hooked after that. I've been converting my friends and family now that I'm back in the US to follow the albion instead of the typical Manchester/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea fan base that is found over here

Great story. A few US exchange students in my 1st year of Uni asked what team the flag hanging in my window was, told them and now they look out for Albion's results. Uni has a way of making you have little affections or interests in other teams. Currently leaving with 2 Devon lads so Exeter have become the 1st result I look for when I walk back into the concourse after a game, weird really.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I live in deep Millwall territory and after that Palace are the
Next closest but my 5 year old sth is more fanatical than i can remember myself ever being before my teens despite training at the lions academy. His 2 year old brother has done his first 2 games this season and is already obsessed. Without the amex i am convinced they would be completely indifferent to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here