Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Non-albion Summer 23 transfer window discussion

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Second half of the season Villa are second in the form table.
They are an entirely different beast under Emery, and with their huge financial backing they will do very well next season.
Or they won't.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Barella to Newcastle would be nuts. Barella, Guimarães, Joelinton would be the best midfield in the league.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Brentford having a £30m offer for Brennan Johnson of Forest turned down is an interesting one. Not sure he would force a move or if Forest would sell, but I'm surprised they would be willing to put that much on the table for one player tbh. I guess it's just the majority of the Raya money they'll have coming in but still.

As for Barella to Toon... They're not far off being title contenders already if they land him, and the increase in their pulling power is only just beginning. Give it a couple of years and there is every chance we end up with a Barca/Real scenario at the top of the PL, unless of course United get taken over by an oil state.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Johnson is an incredible player. For me it's him, Colwill and Scott as the three most outstanding young British players right now. If I was a Liverpool or Newcastle I'd be busting a gut to get all three in..nailed on elite players in five years time.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Brentford having a £30m offer for Brennan Johnson of Forest turned down is an interesting one. Not sure he would force a move or if Forest would sell, but I'm surprised they would be willing to put that much on the table for one player tbh. I guess it's just the majority of the Raya money they'll have coming in but still.

As for Barella to Toon... They're not far off being title contenders already if they land him, and the increase in their pulling power is only just beginning. Give it a couple of years and there is every chance we end up with a Barca/Real scenario at the top of the PL, unless of course United get taken over by an oil state.
If not United then wasn't there talk that the Qataris may buy Liverpool?

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I think it's the third time Brentford have been in for Johnson, but been turned down every time.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Assume with possible additional 10 plus games we will need to increase squad by 4/5 On the basis PB always saying the club ready for everything and have players lined up if anyone leaves am a little surprised have not heard anymore.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Barella to Newcastle would be nuts.
Seeing him play in a black and white shirt would be so funny for me. But yeah, aside from his constant moaning and complaining during the match (for which he's often criticized even here in Italy), he's a valuable asset.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
As for Barella to Toon... They're not far off being title contenders already if they land him, and the increase in their pulling power is only just beginning.
I think that you're half right, that they're building a squad to challenge. I am not sure Smug Eddie will ever get them to that level, I also think he might be the first manager out the door looking at their fixtures...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I wonder if FIFA will step in and do something about the Saudi league?

Not sure what, they have caused this by giving the WC to Qatar, but I imagine UEFA and a few others are not going to be happy.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I wonder if FIFA will step in and do something about the Saudi league?

Not sure what, they have caused this by giving the WC to Qatar, but I imagine UEFA and a few others are not going to be happy.
FFP was introduced by UEFA so I don't think FIFA will do anything. UEFA might try and pressure them but I don't know how much sway they'll have compared to a new super rich developing market. Right now the Saudis are mostly targeting older players anyway (Neves being the exception); for now it's hard for them to convince someone in their prime who still wants to compete against the best for the most prestigious competitions. And I mean, it's not like a PL club or someone like PSG buying from Italy for absurd fees is that much different to us in practice; for example the PL in the winter market spent 27 times what Serie A spent. We Juventini are currently hoping against all hope that they'll take Allegri away from us, though Ronaldo might not be so thrilled by that prospect :lolol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
FFP was introduced by UEFA so I don't think FIFA will do anything. UEFA might try and pressure them but I don't know how much sway they'll have compared to a new super rich developing market. Right now the Saudis are mostly targeting older players anyway (Neves being the exception); for now it's hard for them to convince someone in their prime who still wants to compete against the best for the most prestigious competitions. And I mean, it's not like a PL club or someone like PSG buying from Italy for absurd fees is that much different to us in practice; for example the PL in the winter market spent 27 times what Serie A spent. We Juventini are currently hoping against all hope that they'll take Allegri away from us, though Ronaldo might not be so thrilled by that prospect :lolol:
Too right.

The sight of English fans getting upset by Saudi teams poaching players is really quite amusing

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Neves is in his prime, as are a few others in talks

The PL was naturally grown to the beast it is now, if Italy had invested in growing the league they would have been in a much better position as well.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Neves is in his prime, as are a few others in talks

The PL was naturally grown to the beast it is now, if Italy had invested in growing the league they would have been in a much better position as well.
"was naturally grown" = "was formed to gather more TV rights money for the top clubs, sold its TV rights very cleverly all over Asia and Africa, then reaped the benefits from that TV money which enabled its clubs to buy top talents"

I'm not begrudging anything eh, if we'd been smarter and more forward-thinking regarding new global markets and broadcasting business we'd be better off as well as a league (though having English as a language is a good intrinsic advantage for you.)

I'm simply saying that once you allow international inter-league sales of players, it's obvious that the "best" league is simply the one that had the most money to buy the best players and the best managers. At the heart of it it's obviously a matter of money; just like having a big budget for a film is better than having a small budget, with the subject being the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here