Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Priti Patel Thread?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
.... but, making the English de facto prisoners in our own country this summer, will shirley be politically very unpopular. The Public Heath (non-politician) scientists seem to be driving this, the scientist laid it on thick with the R value recap.

Whilst the Spanish, Portugese, Germans, Austrians and Italians plan their home and overseas summer holidays.

This government will be despised by many for this, imho.

I'm sorry but scientists don't, and never have, driven government policy.

Experts advise Government what would happen in a given (requested) situation. Governments drive policy.

If you watched the briefing today, it was fairly obvious that the scientists wanted to maintain track and trace from the beginning and put immigration controls in place early.

Once the Government decided to go against this advice, there was no point in immigration controls until we got the pandemic back under control.(And as was pointed out AGAIN today, no point in relaxing restrictions, or immigration controls, until the pre-requisite track and trace is in place).

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
think thats conservative, 2.5m jobs in hospitality alone and only 10% would probably be normal for a regular recession. a summer in semi-lockdown and no air travel and the entire industry could fail.

We (with France and ROI) seem to be the belt-and-braces prevent a second wave stalwarts of the world, obsessively carrying on with the vast majority of lockdown, isolating ourselves from the rest of the world.

I wonder, especially for a purportedly free enterprise government, whether they’re actually listening to the scientists too much?

The R value in Italy is now 0.7, here 0.7 to 0.9. Yet, their government has taken a calculated gamble in opening up tourism and travel.

Do the UK scientists also take into account the millions of jobs and livelihoods on the line in travel, tourism and hospitality sectors? Plus mental health.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sorry but scientists don't, and never have, driven government policy.

Experts advise Government what would happen in a given (requested) situation. Governments drive policy.

If you watched the briefing today, it was fairly obvious that the scientists wanted to maintain track and trace from the beginning and put immigration controls in place. Once the Government decided to go against this advice, there was no point in immigration controls until we got the pandemic back under control.

They have the ultimate say, I agree.

But why would a Tory government want to crucify the travel, tourism and hospitality sectors? It goes against the grain. Livelihoods and lives are on the line, plus we’re heading for a poor mental health epidemic.

Do France, UK and ROI know something the rest of Europe is being very naive about?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What surprised me today was her faith in the British public in that they would be sensible. This was in answer to the challenge of the government not imposing stronger travel restrictions. She basically fudged the answer. The fact that the rules make it more difficult for her department to manage the situation seems to have escaped her.
She truly is a waste of space.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What surprised me today was her faith in the British public in that they would be sensible. This was in answer to the challenge of the government not imposing stronger travel restrictions. She basically fudged the answer. The fact that the rules make it more difficult for her department to manage the situation seems to have escaped her.
She truly is a waste of space.

Today will put off 90% of people from travelling to the Med, etc. So it does work.

10% will break the law and take their chances.

Going by the scientists chatter over the last two months, they’ll be chuffed, epidemiologically that’s a big result for them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They have the ultimate say, I agree.

But why would a Tory government want to crucify the travel, tourism and hospitality sectors? It goes against the grain. Livelihoods and lives are on the line, plus we’re heading for a poor mental health epidemic.

Do France, UK and ROI know something the rest of Europe is being very naive about?

Of course it's against every Tory principle, but when has Johnson ever had principles, Tory or any other ?

Other countries are opening up, so he thinks we should. However, we are still where we've always been, a couple of weeks behind everyone else, reacting constantly to what happened a couple of weeks ago. That means that we have spent the last two weeks reacting to the care home crisis we created, by ignoring what was happening elsewhere.

I think we desperately need to start relaxing lockdown economically, but that means getting to manageable numbers and having a proven, working track and trace in place.

We are still testing an app in the IOW, which should have rolled out this week, from which we have no feedback whatsoever, and we are incapable of turning round an accurate test result in 48 hrs, because we are more interested in posting 40,000 tests to make some stupid 'target'. These are the basics required to start opening up the shutdown.

The fact that despite all the information we had from countries that suffered before us, we have wasted all of that, and two months on, still have more people dying,and are incapable of putting a plan in place is a national disgrace.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do the UK scientists also take into account the millions of jobs and livelihoods on the line in travel, tourism and hospitality sectors? Plus mental health.

i dont think they do. my data scientist has highlighted a strong difference between scientist and commercial community, the former want to do things their way (follow years of research), the latter rely on being fed data and changing view to suit (chase the money). factors you note are not in the epidemiological model, so dont count. may be thats wrong, our resident scienist will confirm or protest, its a view.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was aware of the big 4 prestigious posts.

I don’t rate her. What I meant is that her Rottweiler-esque persona is the only role I could see her in. Labour and Tory have often put an alleged tough cookie in the role. Charles Clarke and John Reid were thought of as bruisers.

I liked John Reid btw, combative and direct, fitting his Lanarkshire roots.

Whereas Charlie Clarke was a fat boorish cnt. Sorry, I though I'd finish off your sentence for you :wink:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We (with France and ROI) seem to be the belt-and-braces prevent a second wave stalwarts of the world, obsessively carrying on with the vast majority of lockdown, isolating ourselves from the rest of the world.

I wonder, especially for a purportedly free enterprise government, whether they’re actually listening to the scientists too much?

The R value in Italy is now 0.7, here 0.7 to 0.9. Yet, their government has taken a calculated gamble in opening up tourism and travel.

Now I like a gamble, as many on here may be aware, the difference is I gamble with money I can afford to lose, how many lives can be gambled as affordable loss?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Priti Patel proving that the Government are clueless.

It may just be my hearing, but on the question of when dentists would be back open, I'm sure she said 'when are the dentures'

So questions on weddings, waffle
Questions on holidays, replied to totally different question to the one posed
Question on schools, waffle
Question on visitors from France, constantly talking, waffle, waffle
Question on why waiting until 8th June to save lives, repeat section of speech of why introducing, then waffle
No follow up questions allowed in case the reporter pointed out that their question had not been answered.

At least Johnson will think that with that woeful performance, his U Turn from yesterday will be yesterdays news, and he can always appoint a new Home Secretary in the next reshuffle.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We are still testing an app in the IOW, which should have rolled out this week, from which we have no feedback whatsoever, and we are incapable of turning round an accurate test result in 48 hrs, because we are more interested in posting 40,000 tests to make some stupid 'target'. These are the basics required to start opening up the shutdown.

There has been feedback. Matt Hancock having previously told us that the app is vital, on Thursday told us that the app is really a nice to have, and the main work for track and trace will be undertaken by the newly (yet to be trained) tracers.
The app drains the battery, people on the IOW didn't really like being told by the app that they needed to isolate, much preferring a telephone call.
Lots of privacy issue concerns,

Tests are double counted when someone has saliva test and a swab test, so not really testing anywhere near 100,00 people per day,

Just lying about their performance in the hope that they aren't questioned too strongly about their performance, hence no willing to go on Channel 4, Newsnight, GMB.....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know the whole lot will be hated by many in these parts (wrong political party), but unlike Patel, they’re personable (except Gove imo) and are easy to listen to.

Patel seems to have a deadly combination: she's clearly not very bright and this has been married to a lack of any sort of charm. Gove, however, is the one cabinet minister who I would consider seriously bright - the rest of them seem like dullards. On the other hand, Gove is about as trustworthy as a puff adder.

What a crew

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
She is an absolute disgrace, and does not have an ounce of feeling or compassion in her short arsed body.
I'm surprised she didnt announce that todays death toll of 351, as another 351 have snuffed it.
Horrible cow.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
.... but, making the English de facto prisoners in our own country this summer, will shirley be politically very unpopular. The Public Heath (non-politician) scientists seem to be driving this, the scientist laid it on thick with the R value recap.

Whilst the Spanish, Portugese, Germans, Austrians and Italians plan their home and overseas summer holidays.

This government will be despised by many for this, imho.

Well Boris did say we are going to be driven by the science and not by economic necessity. The advice the scientists are giving is clearly some of the most important advice that ministers are taking on board when making decisions during a pandemic.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Today will put off 90% of people from travelling to the Med, etc. So it does work.

10% will break the law and take their chances.

Going by the scientists chatter over the last two months, they’ll be chuffed, epidemiologically that’s a big result for them.

It was internal travel I was referring to - giving people the option to travel as far as they like for a walkabout.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Now I like a gamble, as many on here may be aware, the difference is I gamble with money I can afford to lose, how many lives can be gambled as affordable loss?

In opening announcing the opening of their borders and tourism, the Italian PM Conte said the decision to lift curbs was a “calculated risk. We’re facing this risk and we have to accept it because otherwise we will never get started again.”

Unless everyone stays locked indoors for possibly years, easing any lockdown necessarily increases the risk and ultimately lives are lost to covid. But then livelihoods are destroyed, mental wellbeing suffers (suicides) and there’s loss of life due to other illnesses from protracted lockdown.

All about opinions, but to me the moves by several European governments feels right, just now. It will be interesting to see, by say September, if those nations have paid a covid19 price, obviously I hope not. Whilst for the lockdown French, British and Irish - how have they fared by comparison?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
She is an absolute disgrace, and does not have an ounce of feeling or compassion in her short arsed body.
I'm surprised she didnt announce that todays death toll of 351, as another 351 have snuffed it.
Horrible cow.

Totally agree, but she always seems to me to be incredibly w i d e!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here