Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No politics

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's just to show that it is a 'tag' I thought of to explain what I meant by said stance.
If you are also going to question my use of inverted commas in this reply, then we could be here all night.

'unquestioning homosexual acceptance'

I didn't want you to explain the inverted commas, i wanted to to explain the phrase that was in them.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think Nottseagull was talking more about the pressures of political correctness, rather than expressing something homophobic. Political correctness is treated of abit of a joke, but is actually a really unhealthy thing because it undermines liberty.

Homosexuality doesnt bother me at all, but the position of someone who believes in liberty should be that you are free to be gay and I am free to not like it.

We are responsible for our own behaviour, you cannot force your standards on other people and they cannot force theirs on you.

Thats liberty :)

'unquestioning homosexual acceptance'
I didn't want you to explain the inverted commas, i wanted to to explain the phrase that was in them.
I'm talking about Christian adoption agencies who'd prefer children to be reared by parents of varied gender (surely every child's human right).
I'm talking about the couple in Cornwall now criminalised because they'd rather not have buggery in their guest house.
And I'm talking about the rights of people to say whether such acts disgust them or not.

Is that clear enough for you?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm talking about Christian adoption agencies who'd prefer children to be reared by parents of varied gender (surely every child's human right).
I'm talking about the couple in Cornwall now criminalised because they'd rather not have buggery in their guest house.
And I'm talking about the rights of people to say whether such acts disgust them or not.

Is that clear enough for you?

Very Clear, Thanks.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Baz!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Other criticism concerns me more, particularly from Acker79 whose very first post I remember expressed similar reticent fears. I would advise you to keep posting and ignore the post counts; they are simply a reflection of quantity, not quality.

Excuse me? It was a few years ago now, but I don't recall my first post being a suggestion that NSC change what it is to suit my preferences. I don't believe I started my NSC tenure with a post that would obviously result in a discussion on the very topic it was asking people to stop discussing. I don't believe my first post made any such incendiary comments such as liberal = gay.

I have not criticised Bazbha. I merely highlighted what looked to me as suspiciously deliberate comments that appeared designed to ignore logic and/or truth and thus garner a reaction. I did not hurl any insults, or dismiss the post, I merely expressed suspicion. I very deliberately did not make any personal comments or in any way attack the poster (who has been registered for a few months now).

Having said that last comment, I'm not one who is all that interested in post counts, and the jcl fixation. I can rarely distinguish between new poster and old poster with a new account, so rarely pay attention to post counts and so on.

I remember being intimidated by this place, but not for the way it treated new comers, or the cliquey nature of the board, but the way it had a generally aggressive and negative attitude (at least in the threads I lurked on before posting) to everything.

EDIT: My first post, for those interested. My views may have softened since then.
A Newbie posts his thoughts

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
1) Why are you comparing left wing with gay?

2) What does this supposed "south of England stance" have to do with anything? The city of Brighton & Hove has a Green MP in its most central ward and the city council is run by the Green party. This is a left wing party. We voted them in. Ergo our "stance" is left wing.

3) If this forum were purely about footballing matters only it wouldn't be so busy. Furthermore in the off season all we'd have is endless threads on potential transfer targets, most of them bullshit.

4) Why are you worried about what other fans think? By your own admission you don't post on here much so why would views expressed on here reflect on you?

Leave the guy alone. He has got it about right. How left wing is it to have the only town in England with a gay green MP?

Very Clear, Thanks. Sorry for hijacking your thread Baz!
Well, the OP did mention the subject so I would hardly call it hijacking.

There is an awful lot of right wing discussion on this board, which I would say is NOT in keeping with the Albion's core demographic of working class Brightonians.
HoveBorn&Bred is working class (if being brought up on a council estate and posting semi-literately is an indication) but is also a staunch Tory. Caroline Lucas is clearly middle class but red through and through (apart from the green bit that is!) Also, the population of Brighton is dwarfed by that of the rest of the catchment area which I would guess is much more 'middle-class' (or would be if it weren't for those areas between central Worthing and Hove :) ). This should be reflected in the membership of NSC.

Wondered how long it would take. "Only joined in March" the suggestion being I am some king of lesser being due to that. Well "Drew" i don't need an education, having served my country all over the world with the Army I think i've experienced enough of life to feel educated enough.This forum could be even better if (possibly) JCL's weren't derided as soon as they posted. But also some people who only joined the site recently are possibly just old gits who watched us in the 70's & 80's & aren't PC savvy?
Welcome.

Have you read this book?

51MFC3AWCKL._SS500_.jpg

Excuse me? It was a few years ago now, but I don't recall my first post being a suggestion that NSC change what it is to suit my preferences. I don't believe I started my NSC tenure with a post that would obviously result in a discussion on the very topic it was asking people to stop discussing. I don't believe my first post made any such incendiary comments such as liberal = gay.
I didn't suggest any of this. But you seem to have stated here what I was referring to...
I remember being intimidated by this place, but not for the way it treated new comers, or the cliquey nature of the board, but the way it had a generally aggressive and negative attitude (at least in the threads I lurked on before posting) to everything.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I didn't suggest any of this. But you seem to have stated here what I was referring to...

You were quite vague simply saying I expressed similar reticent fears. Baz seems to be expressing many fears and I merely worked through a denial of all points being similar.

Now you've narrowed it down for me, I don't believe this:

I don't post on here much for fear of the JCL tag & I'm sure there are many more who feel like some kind of underclass due to lack of posts & keep quiet but if you can forgive my audacity can I voice an opinion?

Is similar to this:

In fact, I'd say I quite clearly ruled out the fears that Baz has as the fears I have. And to make sure I wasn't changing history to suit my argument, I went back and checked:

Hi everyone. I hear about this place each week on the SCR post match phone in, I hope it's not as negative as it sounds.

That was the extent of it in my first post, and I followed up with:

I've heard talk of it on SCR for the past couple of seasons, and this place doesn't come across too well on there, and the odd occasions I've visited here before it's been very intimidating. This time I decided to take the plunge.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I don't post on here much for fear of the JCL tag & I'm sure there are many more who feel like some kind of underclass due to lack of posts & keep quiet but if you can forgive my audacity can I voice an opinion? I read the posts with interest on here & many seem to degenerate in to a political rant. Is there not a time & a place for that? Pereferably not on a football forum! Should other fans read some of the extreme left wing views on here I fear it will only add to the "gay" tag as they aren't in keeping with the usual South of England stance.

Personally I really hate political posts on here from any side of the spectrum. If they could only implement an 'ignore thread' function, so I can send all these threads into the ether, then I'd love NSC a lot more.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Personally I really hate political posts on here from any side of the spectrum. If they could only implement an 'ignore thread' function, so I can send all these threads into the ether, then I'd love NSC a lot more.

You do know that it is possible to not click on threads through your own volition don't you?

If you don't like political threads YOU have the power to NOT read them.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
You do know that it is possible to not click on threads through your own volition don't you?

If you don't like political threads YOU have the power to NOT read them.

Absolutely. Of course I know that, and in fact I don't click on them or read the content - but it's the fact I can see the thread titles, for some reason which I can't really justify, really hacks me off. C'est la vie, maybe I've just got some allergy to politics on a message board ???

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(

You my young chum are showing your prejudice, the owners of the B&B refused to honour the booking because the couple were unmarried.

How on earth do you know that they intended to commit buggery? Does the thought of it excite you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here