Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No politics

The CBR thing ... Thanks to the wonders of google ...

C.B.R. Jersey Mills, Brighton: 10 Jul 1967: House of Commons debates (TheyWorkForYou.com)

C.B.R. Jersey Mills, Brighton
Oral Answers to Questions — Ministry of Labour
House of Commons debates, 10 July 1967

Mr Dennis Hobden (Brighton, Kemptown) asked the Minister of Labour what progress is being made to obtain the reinstatement of the 18 employees locked-out from C.B.R. Jersey Mills of Brighton.
Mr Raymond Gunter (Southwark) My officers held a joint meeting on 11th May, and have since had many separate discussions with the parties. It has not been possible, so far, to find a basis for settlement of this dispute. I shall continue to keep in close touch with developments.
Mr Dennis Hobden (Brighton, Kemptown) Does not my right hon. Friend think that the working conditions at this firm, under which an employee is required to work a basic 72 hours a week, denote a serious deficiency in our factory legislation? Would it not be correct to say that the actions of this employer should be reported to the Royal Commission on Trade Unions and Employers' Associations?
Mr Raymond Gunter (Southwark) I am sure that the trade union involved will avail itself of that opportunity if it so desires. I would not like to comment on the conditions outlined by my hon. Friend as prevailing at these works. It seems that attitudes are being taken by both sides, and that it is rather difficult to get them together.

The "30th" bit was was a reference to a mass demonstration in Lewes Road, near the factory, as part of the campaign to get the sacked workers reinstated. The owner of the factory, Mr C B Rolfe, eventually shut the place down and relocated to Leicester, where he presumably thought that he would have no trouble employing low paid Asian women to work 72 hours a week.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I know! It's incredible! My mind is all-a-boggle!

I have ups and downs but every now and again i really do wonder wtf it's all about-still that's far too deep a concept for me to comprehend of a Sunday afternoon.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Exactly. Don't think about it too hard - you'll end up turning to religion!

Have thought just a we little bit,ended up turning to drink-still as Sunday is a day of rest-i forgive thyself.funny thing is,i now no longer care what it's all about-

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here