Niki Mäenpää signs a 2 year deal

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has been suggested that we sign a keeper to compete with DS for the no 1 jersey. I dont agree, IMHO we need to show faith in DS and sign a competant cover should he be injured during a game, hence the suggestion of Lonnergan. With Walton going out on loan he would do a better job than CA.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Surely if Hughton is going to be a successful manager here he'll not be content signing a goalie who is simply competing with Stockdale but a keeper who'll take us to a new level.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Surely if Hughton is going to be a successful manager here he'll not be content signing a goalie who is simply competing with Stockdale but a keeper who'll take us to a new level.

Transfer (and the wages) budget will only stretch so far. Makes sense to concentrate on strengthening the areas that definitely need it first ie goal scoring striker, left back and a creative midfielder first. Not everyone is a fan of Stockdale but he's not a bad keeper, especially when compared to others that also play in the league.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not see a possible replacement for DS as an urgent requirement at the moment, perhaps the view will change by January, but at the moment not needed only possibly a No2 as cover assuming Walton goes out on loan. We urgently need a main striker, 2 wide men ,a left back and possibly a CB. You could also throw in a right back into the mix if funds permit all before a new No 1.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It would be nice to have somebody who would take us to another level in every position, but the reality is we have to prioritise, on account of not having a limitless pot of money. There are positions we really need to get people in for right now, and GK isn't one of them (except as cover if Walton goes on loan).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would be nice to have somebody who would take us to another level in every position, but the reality is we have to prioritise, on account of not having a limitless pot of money. There are positions we really need to get people in for right now, and GK isn't one of them (except as cover if Walton goes on loan).

exactly my thoughts,

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Nottingham Post says Forest are out of the race for him. We can offer him more wages due to their sanctions for breaking FFP.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nottingham Post says Forest are out of the race for him. We can offer him more wages due to their sanctions for breaking FFP.

at last FFP is starting to work

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Niki Mäenpää, again in talks with Brighton

Agreed, keeper is the last thing we need....GOALS are what we need, spunk the whole budget on a 25 man & we're up

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

If David de Gea were to move, it would probably be to Spain.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm. I know its was only a friendly but he didn't have a great game last night for Finland.

This guy will be third choice and cheap I hope? On that showing no wonder Forest lost interest.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
This guy will be third choice and cheap I hope? On that showing no wonder Forest lost interest.

Agreed. Makes you wonder why the hell we are interested. I hope we don't end up only be able to sign players that nobody else wants. And with three goalkeepers already, do we need another one? Perhaps we should concentrate more on signing the 2/3 new (and effective) strikers we so desperately require.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
first goal he trod on his own beard hair
second goal his beard hair blew into his face

shave it off !

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You have to love NSC, people moan about lack of signings and then when we seem to be favourites to sign a player, apparently he's rubbish because Nottingham Forest have pulled out (according to their local paper because we can pay more but that's ignored) and because he made one mistake we shouldn't even be interested.

I know we had a bad season last year but can't people stop moaning for five minutes? Considering the club have notionally been interested in him for a year, I would really hope that one mistake wouldn't change our mind. That would be concerning.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You have to love NSC, people moan about lack of signings and then when we seem to be favourites to sign a player, apparently he's rubbish because Nottingham Forest have pulled out (according to their local paper because we can pay more but that's ignored) and because he made one mistake we shouldn't even be interested.

I know we had a bad season last year but can't people stop moaning for five minutes? Considering the club have notionally been interested in him for a year, I would really hope that one mistake wouldn't change our mind. That would be concerning.

While I'm never one to miss an opportunity to laugh at the red dogs, do you really want to spend > £10k a week on this keeper???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
While I'm never one to miss an opportunity to laugh at the red dogs, do you really want to spend > £10k a week on this keeper???

The club can do no wrong as far as Finchley is concerned, which is fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports