Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Niki Mäenpää signs a 2 year deal

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would rather keep Walton here. I expect him to oust Stockdale soon enough, get a few games for us next season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I must admit if we sign him I would sooner we sold DS to recoup our outlay and let this chap and Walton fight for the No 1 spot.

I think you might get your wish of DS being sold. I just have a feeling that there were too many mistakes during the 4 months he played under CH. I know he also won us a few points but if he is going to put a squad together to challenge for promotion, a solid goalkeeper is imperative.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Intrigued by the part about doubts with regard to future niemmi

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think you might get your wish of DS being sold. I just have a feeling that there were too many mistakes during the 4 months he played under CH. I know he also won us a few points but if he is going to put a squad together to challenge for promotion, a solid goalkeeper is imperative.

This might sound churlish, but watching the U21s last night, one of Walton's kicks went straight to a Stoke player just 20 yards away. He was under no pressure, it was a mistake. Fortunately the Stoke players were not good enough to take advantage of this mistake, but if that had been Stockdale, he would have been villified on here.
I like Walton and he's going to be a great keeper but he will make mistakes as does any keeper.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This might sound churlish, but watching the U21s last night, one of Walton's kicks went straight to a Stoke player just 20 yards away. He was under no pressure, it was a mistake. Fortunately the Stoke players were not good enough to take advantage of this mistake, but if that had been Stockdale, he would have been villified on here.
I like Walton and he's going to be a great keeper but he will make mistakes as does any keeper.

I have this debate often, it tends to be when these mistakes happen to a home grown player they tend to be overlooked by most due to coming through the ranks/hometown hero.

Players that you would normally say shouldn't be in the team because they make to many mistakes are the clubs best players in the eyes of the fans.

Look at Kane, he has had an outstanding season for Spurs, but he isn't the completed article, mention any of his faults to some Spurs fans and you shouted down, rose tinted glasses at its finest.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I agree he probably would have been but we paid £2million for Stockdale so you would hope that wouldn't happen with DS. And on the other hand that is probably why Walton is going out on loan, to iron out such problems before he eventually takes over as number one keeper

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have this debate often, it tends to be when these mistakes happen to a home grown player they tend to be overlooked by most due to coming through the ranks/hometown hero.

Players that you would normally say shouldn't be in the team because they make to many mistakes are the clubs best players in the eyes of the fans.

Look at Kane, he has had an outstanding season for Spurs, but he isn't the completed article, mention any of his faults to some Spurs fans and you shouted down, rose tinted glasses at its finest.

I don't actually think Kane is a world beater and unless he maintains it in the next 2 seasons , he may well be a flash in the pan; however anyone who hit 30 goals before March when he didn't even start the season, rightly has my respect

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I agree he probably would have been but we paid £2million for Stockdale so you would hope that wouldn't happen with DS. And on the other hand that is probably why Walton is going out on loan, to iron out such problems before he eventually takes over as number one keeper

£1m no? ???

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
One kick out of about 20.Even the best keepers can't kick perfect every time. Last night his kicking/handling/moving the ball with his feet was top notch. For me he was head and shoulders above anyone one else on the pitch. He also pulled off a wonderful save in the second half. We have a fine keeper on our hands.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Indeed, as you probably remember, Walton flapped at a corner after about five minutes of the Spurs game, and was lucky there was no Spurs player able to follow up. As Thunder Bolt says, I think he has the potential to become a great keeper, and he did make some fine saves in the games he played, but I think he is another player being over hyped, largely as a means of getting at Stockdale. I thought he might have done better with the Blackburn goal, and in the DS game that CMS made his comeback in, a shot from a Palace player flew straight over him. Sure, he has superb potential, but would be just as prone to make errors as Stockdale if played regularly. Just my opinion of course.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
Christ, you negative s*d. Walton has bags of potential and is so close to being a permanent no.1 for BHA for a long while. As a youngster you learn from early mistakes and correct them.
Do you not understand or will you criticise all that come through the development squad ?.

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
"The 30-year-old, now a free agent, is flying to England and will have talks on Monday with Forest. "
Albion are likely to firm up their persistent interest in Mäenpää once manager Chris Hughton returns from holiday.

If he has not already signed for Forest .....could this be a 1st signing this week.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/12980796.Albion_still_hot_on_the_trail_of_keeper/?ref=mr&lp=7

We've got no chance. Forest will offer more in wages and will offer him first team fooball.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was told, by someone at the club, that we had no interest in him and the stuff in the press had just come from his agent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We've got no chance. Forest will offer more in wages and will offer him first team fooball.
Not to mention the FACT we have no chance against a powerhouse like Forest green rovers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was told, by someone at the club, that we had no interest in him and the stuff in the press had just come from his agent.
I hope we are in for Randolph who is leaving Birmingham, but suspect we can't afford him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here